OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Fury

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Fury
    Posted: February/05/2009 at 08:43
I looked at a pair of Vortex fury on SWFA. How do these compare with the Leupold Pinnacles, Mojave or the Cascades (porro or roof).
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 18:08
I cannot comment specifically on the Mojave or Pinnacles. I have looked through both but only on a few limited circumstances within the local Cabelas. I have owned one of the Fury models and I do currently own the Casacade porros. In that comparison the Cascade porros are clearly superior in my opinion. They are brighter, sharper, have better control of color fringing and have, arguably, the best depth of field of any 8x binocular I have owned (plus I love the ergonomics).

The downside of them? They have a narrower field of view than most of the other bins that they optically compare to. Compared to other $300 roofs like the Bushnell Legend, Nikon Monarch, etc... they are noticeably better optically and offer approximately the same field of view.

The Furys do offer some very good optical performance for the price though. Their field of view is noticably wider than the Monarchs, Legends, etc... of the world plus they have similar ergonomics and overall specs.....and you cannot discount Vortex's excellent warranty and customer service as well.
Frank
kicker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 10:27
good info.....anybody have any comparison with the fury vs pinnacles or mojave
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 13:08
I have the Vortex Fury 6.5x32, and it is a nice glass.  Makes a real good combo with a 10x. I actually prefer it to any 8x32 until you get to the new 8x32 Viper.  Actually I think the Fury fits more or less right in the middle of the space between the Mojave and Pinnacle. The optics are probably a little closer to the Pinnacle, but at that price range, it is a personal preference thing.  There is nothing I really object to in any.   The 42mm Fury does have a bit wider fov, but not much.  I really think the big difference will be ergonomics,  The Mojave has the open frame, and the Fury and Pinnacle have a decidedly different feel.  I like the angled eye cup of the Pinnacle. 

So, if I was to pick one right now, I would take the Pinnacle.  Aside from an eye cup design I like, I think it has a bit sharper image than the other two.  But the differences aren't great.  All are pretty decent binoculars.  That's at 8x.  For whatever reason the 10x Pinnacle has a small fov, where I like the Fury best.

I think now that the level of real good optics at Pinnacle prices have moved past the Pinnacle.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

kicker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 10:03
What other optics would you recommend at Pinnacle prices that you consider better than the pinnacles?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 11:02
The Promaster Infinity Elite ELX ED and the ZEN ED form Zen Ray.  99% of alpha optics, 1/3 the price.  There are reviews here , a google search will get you plenty of others.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Redeye171 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 20:12
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

The Promaster Infinity Elite ELX ED and the ZEN ED form Zen Ray.  99% of alpha optics, 1/3 the price.  There are reviews here , a google search will get you plenty of others.

Of those two choices......which one would you prefer?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2009 at 21:34
If you insist, I suppose, I'd prefer the ZEN ED.  The image is a bit brighter, but really shows no more detail.  Also the fov is about 1/2* wider, so when you get into this level of optical quality, why not take the wide fov too.  But depending on the use, the Promaster does have the water and oil repellent coatings that the ZEN does not.
Steve

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic