OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sandpiper or Nomad ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sandpiper or Nomad ?
    Posted: February/04/2009 at 17:08
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a spotting scope to use at the range for targets 50 to 200yards far.

I read alot of good things about the Sandpiper and I wondered if I should go for the Nomad or the Sandpiper since they come from the same company and have similar prices.

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 18:26

Sandpiper.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 18:49
I just bought the straight eyepeice version oif the sandpiper last month and am very pleased with it.  A truly excellent value since the straight version is being replaced by hte angled eye piece version.  Straight one was discounted to $200.
Has good glass, nice smooth focus and excellent eye relief which I need because of my glasses.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 06:35
Here is your answer.
BlackDiamond View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 11:43
What about the Skyline ED ?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 11:57
Originally posted by BlackDiamond BlackDiamond wrote:

Sorry BDmnd I don't have any experience with the Skyline ED.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 07:33

I have not looked through the ED version, just the regular one.
First, this is a large and heavy spotting scope that would require a large and heavy tripod to stabilize. Forget about the $50 drugstore tripods, they will not be steady enough for such a large scope.
Second, my overall impression was that the Skyline was not bright enough for a 80 mm, at least not when compared with the 65mm Sandpiper. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 12:54
I received the Sandpaper last friday and tested it out today. I went to the mountains and started looking around.
The Sandpiper looks bright and the picture is sharp; quality looks very good for the price
but I noticed something that I couldn't see when I took the scope out of the box.

Using the scope in the light and white mountain environmnet  I discovered that there are very small black spots on the image. There are 5-6 small black spots that are always visible when you look to something light/white like a landscape with snow. Also, moving my eye a little farter from the scope I could see that one of the internal lenses is completely full of small black spots, like very small air bubbles. If you are at home the many small spots can be clearly seen heading the scope towards a light.

Do you experience anything like this or did I get a defective unit ?

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 15:41

1. Sometimes we see black spots like those, but they seem to move. They are called floaters, and are normal in most eyes. It's just aging.

2. If you have spots on internal lenses it is easier to see them with a flashlight. Shine a flashlight into the the eyepiece and look into the objective. If that is the case, call Vortex, tell them about it, and relax. They will fix it for you.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 16:38
Well yes, I know about floaters, I have some of them but here it's some kind of stain or dust on the internal lenses.

Shining a flashlight into the the eyepiece and looking into the objective I can see small particles on the internal lenses.

Also, moving my eye a little farter from the eyepiece I can see thousands micro bubbles. They cannot be seen in the normal position when the eye is very close to the eyepiece.

I'll contact Vortex and tell them about it.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 19:28
Man , sorry to hear about he black spots.  I have not noticed any on mine but have not looked at white bright backgrounds.  Sounds like you got a lemon.  Definite bumper with you living overseas.  I hope Vortex takes care of you!!

Edited by budperm - February/15/2009 at 19:28
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2009 at 06:42
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Man , sorry to hear about he black spots.  I have not noticed any on mine but have not looked at white bright backgrounds.  Sounds like you got a lemon.  Definite bumper with you living overseas.  I hope Vortex takes care of you!!

I contacted Vortex and I got a prompt reply. They said I could return the scope to their italian distributor. So I shipped the Sandpiper to Vortex Italy.

Now I'm waiting and I hope I'll get good news soon.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/24/2009 at 06:55

Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I contacted Vortex and I got a prompt reply. They said I could return the scope to their italian distributor. So I shipped the Sandpiper to Vortex Italy.

Now I'm waiting and I hope I'll get good news soon.

Good Luck, keep us posted!
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackDiamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/20/2009 at 09:15
Vortex has a great customer service and they replaced my scope even if I live in Italy.

I got a new scope right today.

I gave a quick look to it and found out immediately it doesn't show black spots on the inner lenses as my first scope did.

Still I can see a couple of light small points that are surely due to small dust particles.

Also If I head the scope towards a light source and move my eye away from the eyepiece I can see many small bubbles in the glass.

Bubbles can only be seen if you head the scope towards a light source and move the eye away from the eyepiece for some inches.

I start believing that every sandpiper has this. Could you guys check your scopes and let me know if you see the bubbles ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic