OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope ring removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope ring removal
    Posted: February/04/2009 at 15:54
I bought Kahles KX from Samplelist (immaculate I might add) and was going to put it on my gun, but I have an issue.  I went to take off my old scope and broke my torch wrench off in the little bolt that holds the rings together......how do I get this ring off my scope? 

skywalker
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 16:00
If it is only on the scope and not the gun ....take it to a hardware store or good auto motive store or home depot type store and get the right size...EASY.OUT tool if you don't know how to use it ask them . it is a fairly easy process just go slow..

Edited by rifle looney - February/04/2009 at 16:01
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 16:04
Pyro had this same issue a couple of months ago, I believe he actually had to cut the rings, nothing else worked.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 16:05
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Pyro had this same issue a couple of months ago, I believe he actually had to cut the rings, nothing else worked.

yeh! but he has fat fingers!......LOL
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 16:06
I might add that these were Ruger rings in Pyros case.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 16:27
Leupold rings.......in my case.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 16:40
Originally posted by skywalker skywalker wrote:

Leupold rings.......in my case.

skywalker ...if you are some what mechanical then the method I suggested would be the first to try...before cutting them off, if you are not then don't mess with it due to risk of more damage .take it to a gun smith and have them do it who knows if you spend a little money there he might not charge you anything?
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 18:10
Is there a gap in the rings at that point?  A drop of nail polish remover or lock tight remover might help.  A couple of sharp drill bits and a soldering iron with a sharp tip for plan B.  Hint you cut steel slow.  Most hand drills turn too fast on the high setting and that heats up and dulls the bit.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 18:47
did the wrench bust off inside the head?
take em!
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 21:25
yes, busted off.  I have taken a hack saw to it, but can see that is going to scratch my scope tube.....going to local outdoors shop tomorrow to see what they can do......dont want to mess this up.

skywalker
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 21:28
Good move, let us know the outcome.  Wink
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 21:34
In the grand scheme of things rings are cheap...Wrap up everything else good and drill out the screw or attack it where the rings come together
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 01:27
I had a similiar problem, but managed to drill the screws out, using a small drill. You can also drill the screw out from the bottom. The screws were relatively soft and no damage was caused to rings or scope. It just required a new screw and it ws as good as new.

Edited by 8shots - February/05/2009 at 01:27
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 06:19
Yeh, I would think you could drill it out !
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 08:12
C-4...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 11:34
welp, local outdoors store was no good.  got a co worker who has a high speed dremmel tool, gonna try to cut the screws.....we shall see.....

i will let you know.

skywalker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic