OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold VX-3 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leupold VX-3 Review
    Posted: February/04/2009 at 11:07

Hi all, I'd like to take the time to give you my personal review on the Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 with A/O.  Thanks to Chris and his staff at SWFA I was able to spend about 18 hours behind this scope.

Before I begin, let me state that this is a review and not a test.  I am not an optics professional, just an avid hunter.  This scope will be fully tested and reviewed by Mr. Koshkin in the weeks to come.

For my observations, My main objective was to see if there were improvements to the VX-3 compared to the VXIII and also to see how it compared with a Meopta R1.  I did some back to back testing with a Swaro AV and Kahles CL, but the Leupold didn't fair to well and I didn't expect it to.

For the remainder of the review I stuck with the VX-3, VXIII, R1 combination.  I did most of my testing with the scopes set at 6x, which is were I normally keep my variables set.  I viewed the scopes in broad daylight and at dusk.  My target was a "high voltage" sign, lasered at 94 yards.

During my initial observation in daylight, I really had a hard time telling the three apart, though the meopta was just a hair better in resolution.  The VX-3 and VXIII seamed almost identicle. At dusk I had an easier time, the VX-3 and Meopta seperated themselves from the VXIII with a clearer, brighter sight picture and better edge to edge resolution.

The more time I spent with this trio, I begain to see the subtle differences with the VX-3 and VXIII, the Meopta still apeared slightly better at all times, but as time passed the VX-3 opened the gap on the VXIII especially at dusk and better resolution at all times.

In conclusion, I think the VX-3 is better than the VXIII especially if you hunt in low light conditions.  I also came to the conclusion that all three were good enough for any "hunting" situation I'm likely to encounter.  If you want to determine the gender of a fly at 100 yards the Swaro, Kahles and others are probably better, but for normal hunting encounters, the trio above is more than anyone really needs .

Some selling points that I'd  like include about Leupold and the VX-3 are:  It's great looking, has a fabulous warrenty and customer service, is short and light, great eye relief, stands up to recoil, custom shop, reticle choices and is made in the USA.

Yes, I was a Leupold fan and still am.  I think the new VX-3 has closed the gap on its competition and it is an excellent product.

Edited by lucytuma - February/04/2009 at 22:20
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 11:13
 GOOD review,lt. Thank ya.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 11:23
American Flag

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 17:14
thanks for the insight
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 18:45
Good review, thanks Jeff
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 19:13
Good job, Jeff.

I do not have an older VX-III to compare the new VX-3 to, but I will have a few scopes from Leupold's competitors on hand.   I am fairly well familiar with the VX-III, so the most interesting piece of the equation to me, personally, is whether Leupold is now a more compelling scope for the money as compared to its primary competition.  It sounds like it is, but I will try to put some teeth into that argument in the coming few weeks.

ILya
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 21:23
I wouldn't say its better than it's primary competition, but I would say it is now on par. By the way it has just left the building and should show up on your door step early next week.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 21:34
Thanks.  I'll let you know when it gets here.

ILya
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 05:21
Very interesting!!!    I feel like they have improved the value anyway from what I have read here.  And since they didn't jump the price into another tax bracket, I feel all happy with Leupold.  Much more than I did a few years ago when they put a little MultiCoat 4 on two exterior lenses and then went around blowing their horn about the Germans still make the best beer!!!   Shocked

Leupold has now gotten back on my list of scopes that I might buy if I had a rifle that had a mount that sits far away from my face!!   Big Grin
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 14:16
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Thanks.  I'll let you know when it gets here.

ILya

Am I next after Koshkin?  Big Smile

Thanks for the review, Jeff. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on one too.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 14:17
I just picked it up from the post office.

ILya
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/20/2009 at 13:31
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I just picked it up from the post office.

ILya

Any update on when that review will be done?
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2009 at 08:34
I would also like to hear more about the new VX3.  I may be interested in one.  Maybe Leupold has worked their way back onto my short list?
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 12:12
                                Whistling

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:05

Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:13
Black Betty's got a new Dew!!!  Yea Baby!!!
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 14:42
Southpaw I see.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2009 at 15:08

BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 08:31
Is that a HS or B&C stock? 
John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2009 at 08:45
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Love
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic