OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

6x for 30.06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6x for 30.06
    Posted: February/03/2009 at 21:08
I need to replace the scope on my 30.06 in which I have always had a 3x9x40 and very rarely change it from about 6x thinking of going to a fixed 6x ..use is deer and elk both open and slightly dense timber. really like the Leupold fx111 any cons to this idea?
bagderRed View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bagderRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 21:38
My opinion is if you take any shots at running game, 6x makes it tough 100 yds. in, in wooded areas.  Some hunters aren't comfortable taking shots on the run though.  I'm not a long range shooter by any means, more of a up close type of hunter due to the areas where I hunt.   300 yd. is a long shot for me.

BadgerRed
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 21:47
I have a 6x42 that is an FXII Leupold and it is one of my favorite scopes. It is very bright and forgiving.

Edited by tahqua - February/03/2009 at 21:50
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 21:48
FOV at shorter ranges could present a problem.  With that scope at 25yds, I believe your FOV will be slightly under 6ft.  In heavy brush with a walking target, not optimum, but certainly doable.  I got rid of a 6x Swarovski on my .458 Lott due to FOV.  4x is working well.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 22:04
Yes that is all good the majority of my hunting will be open country but it will also include the trees not much brush hunting I once had a 4x and always wished it were 6x. if I hunt in dense forest I will take a back up gun which I always do.I like the simplicity and the elegant look of the scope in mention. and they are on sale right now. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 22:08
I say give it a try and let us know what you think.  Personally, I rarely take my scope off 4x to shoot.  But I understand the desire to try a fixed power.
take em!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 22:09
Should be AOK then.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 22:45
thanks guys .
smitty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 23:30
Fixed power scopes have a lot of advantages over variable power scopes.

I think 6x is an excellent choice.  

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 01:01
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

I need to replace the scope on my 30.06 in which I have always had a 3x9x40 and very rarely change it from about 6x thinking of going to a fixed 6x ..use is deer and elk both open and slightly dense timber. really like the Leupold fx111 any cons to this idea?
........A straight 6x on a 30-06?......Do-able but not reco`d...No No.....You`re limiting any shorter range versatility and FOV at the closer ranges should you find yourself in brush or in the timbers.

I`d go with either the 2-8x32 Monarch, the 1.75-6x32 VX3 or the 2.5-8x36 VX3 instead.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 07:43
I have a older K6 on my old Winchester M70 30-06.  I like six power and the scope fits the rifle.  Perfect for open country....not horribly bad in the woods...but it's not versatile as a 4X....so if you go into the deep woods---use another rifle!!   Bandito 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 08:11
Look for one of the Kahles 6x, they have the field of view of a 4x Leupold.  IOR 's 6x is twice the price of the Leupold, but offers a better field of view.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 08:22
Shot my first moose with a 6x leo on a 06 Colt Sauer (25 years ago).  The current fxlll leo would be by first choice.
shooterpunk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooterpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 09:01
go with the leupold
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 18:06

I have killed more than one running deer at 25 yards or so with 6x scopes, including the 6x42 Leupold. The FOV at 25 is about the length of the average deer, and all you need to aim at is one part of the deer. I haven't found the FOV of various 6x's differs enough to worry about, if you can raise a rifle and have it already pointed in the direction you want to shoot--which is the big trick in shooting fast and close anyway.

I generally prefer a good 6x for all-around hunting, as I have found it good both up close and out to 500 yards, with no fiddling around with magnification. Partly I like a fixed 6x because I use the reticle for range estimation quite frequently, and there is no extra math to do, as is necessary when using a typical 2nd-plane reticle variable. Personally, I think a good 6x like the FX-III is just about ideal for an all-around scope on a .30-06.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 18:57
10107 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 SOLD 66820, Matte finish, Long Range Duplex reticle, 1" tube, xtended twilight lens system, 100% new 2009 demo model, used for current SWFA.com web pictures $490.00 $349.95
10106 Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Competition Hunter 66825, Matte finish, target dot reticle, 1" tube, adjustable objective (50yds-infinity), 1/8moa target knobs, xtended twilight lens system, 100% new 2009 demo model, used for current SWFA.com web pictures $565.00 $399.95
I called Brady yesterday to order the top one and some prick beat me to it. I'd buy the other if the target knobs were 1/4 rather than 1/8moa and the reticle was heavier.  Just for what its worth there are a bunch of NEW MODEL VX3 scopes on samplelist that were used for photos and are new but at a big savings. $$$$$

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 19:01
saw these and was also looking at the top one shhheeeeeeet!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 20:48
Ive come so close to buying something it hurts, actually I have called and talked to Brady about 4 times now. I need at least one scope but I was hoping for the varmit reticle with target knobs if I go past the cost of the 6x.  I also cant understand why Leupold will make illuminated B&C but not illuminated varmit reticle  --  DUH The B&C looks too busy to me where the lines are finer on the varmit and have more wind drift info.  The scope I want doesnt exist.  4.5-14x40  (or 50) 30mm tube illuminated varmit reticle with 1/4 moa target knobs (or M1).  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 21:10
Ive learned we cant always have what we want or need. but Ive not learned WHY!
   damn KAHLES 6x is gone too! from sample list.

Edited by rifle looney - February/04/2009 at 21:22
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 22:09
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic