OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris XTR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando375 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris XTR
    Posted: February/03/2009 at 09:22
Hello to all.
  I'm new to the site but had a positive experience dealing with Burris recently that I wanted to share, and this seems to be the place to do so.
  I'm the owner of a Burris XTR that was "dropped" 2 feet (out of the box, brand spanking new, hadn't even mounted it yet) on a concrete floor by a well intentioned friend. The damage- exterior: slight bend at the bottom of the objective with minimal loss of the matte finish. The bend was enough so that the sunshade would no longer thread onto the objective. There were no other markings on the exterior of the scope.
The damage- interior: a "black blotch" at the 4 o'clock position off the center of the crosshair and the illuminated reticle would no longer function.
   In a nutshell, I wrote Burris a letter telling them EXACTLY what had happened to the scope and how the damaged occured, requesting an estimate of the repair.  I was very clear in the fact that I wanted the scope to be repaired to "as new" since it was the final piece on a tactical rifle that was 2 years in the making. I was never contacted regarding a cost estimate but received the scope back about 6 weeks later, in "same as new" condition, at no cost.
  This, in my opinion, says a tremendous amount about the company, their products, and customer support. They clearly were not at fault regarding this and still repaired it at no cost to me. That being said, I will continue to consider Burris products when looking for new optics.

Thanks

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 09:24
Rando,
Thanks for the info and welcome to Optics Talk.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Rando375 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando375 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 09:47
 Thanks
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 09:51
Rando,
Post some pic's of the set up. If it took 2 years to build/buy it has to have a place in your heart so please share it with us.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Rando375 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando375 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 20:16
I'll put some photos together-
Remington 700 R-5
Bell & Carlson Tactical Stock
Burris XTR 312
EGW Base w/ Burris Tact Rings

Pretty much a "bolt together" with the exception of an aftermarket trigger & bedding in the recoil lug area. It has the makings of a good shooter though and I'm looking forward to some warm weather.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 20:42
Glad to here you had a good experience with Burris CS.  I have always been treated well by them as well.

Welcome to the OT!!

Please post some pictures for us to drool over.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 21:01
Welcome aboard Rando!!!  Sounds like you made yourself an Amish flyswatter.  Where you plan on shootin that thing???   I belong to the Jefferson Sportmans Club in Codorus.  I live in York county between Glenrock and Hanover.  Small world AY? We are maybe an hour apart.

Your gonna love this forum.  Chris Farris of SWFA the sponsor has quite an interesting menagerie of misfits....both staff and members from all over the world!  Tons to learn and share about Optics, guns, reloading and everything in between!

Looking forward to pix of your baby!!!

Here is one of our benefactor CF

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 09:38
Glad to here about the CS. I'm considering buying that very scope. Not real impressed that a two foot drop killed it though. I wonder how an Aimpoint or EOS would have fared? Maybe no better but I'm pretty rough on equipment. Thanks for the report.
Rando375 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando375 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 20:47
Glad to get the responses!

Be patient with the pic's guys, I'll get them soon.

Budperm- I'm located in Lancaster, just down the road from you. I've been eyeing the Mifflin County Sportsmans Club (about 1 1/2 hours NW), $40 per year fee, the facility looks very nice on their website, and most of all- their range goes out to 1000 yds. Anything up in your AO? Regarding SWFA, I purchased a US made Burris Fulfield II some years back at an excellent price. They have it all covered, from products to forums like this, I'm not aware of an outfit that even compares.

Jetwrnch- The scope was funtional after the drop, albeit the reticle had a mind of its own and black spot that I described. Other than the slight bend at the obj (point of impact) the scope had no other external damage. I was impressed that it faired as well as it did. The local Burris rep, Tom Wells, was a great resource and ensured that I was taken care of.  The simple fact that they fixed it free of charge with a quick turn around says a lot about the company.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 21:05
Originally posted by Rando375 Rando375 wrote:

Glad to get the responses!

Be patient with the pic's guys, I'll get them soon.

Budperm- I'm located in Lancaster, just down the road from you. I've been eyeing the Mifflin County Sportsmans Club (about 1 1/2 hours NW), $40 per year fee, the facility looks very nice on their website, and most of all- their range goes out to 1000 yds. Anything up in your AO? Regarding SWFA, I purchased a US made Burris Fulfield II some years back at an excellent price. They have it all covered, from products to forums like this, I'm not aware of an outfit that even compares.

Haven't heard of the Mifflin club but its nice to have upto a 1000yds.  Jefferson Club has 2 rifle ranges, a 25, 50 & 100yd range then a separate 200 & 300 yd range.  Also Pistol, BP couple of Skeet pits, 22 and Archery ranges as well as indoor Archery and 22 range. Fairly nice facility on 118 acres, hunting & trapping allowed.  We usually raise and release pheasant on property but this year DNR made us mow and spray for thistle so no pheasant habitat this year.  Dues are $100 1st yr $50 thereafter.  It is very convenient only 15 minutes from home.  1.5 hrs to Mifflin is a killer!

What gunshops do you frequent?  John Hakes in Wrightsville?  etc?
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Rando375 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando375 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 21:17
I work part time at the Bass Pro in Harrisburg and I recently came across Hake's by accident, very friendly owners and overall just a cool, small town shop. I'm a regular at Trop & Kinsey's in Elizabethtown, Gander Mtn in York & Hbg, and Cabelas about once every
month or two.
Regarding the drive to Mifflintown, yeah its out there but a couple of buddy's and I have been putting together some semi-long range rifles so, you gotta go where you can reach out there.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 21:57
Originally posted by Rando375 Rando375 wrote:

I work part time at the Bass Pro in Harrisburg and I recently came across Hake's by accident, very friendly owners and overall just a cool, small town shop. I'm a regular at Trop & Kinsey's in Elizabethtown, Gander Mtn in York & Hbg, and Cabelas about once every
month or two.
Regarding the drive to Mifflintown, yeah its out there but a couple of buddy's and I have been putting together some semi-long range rifles so, you gotta go where you can reach out there.

Sounds like you have all the right contacts!  It seems that most of the small private gunshops are disappearing.  I know of only two in Hanover (closest to me) it that or Hakes, Redding Hardware in Gettysburg (over 1000 guns) and Gnader Mountain in York all three of which are about 30-45 minutes away.

So you head north to work and I head South (B&D) in Balto.  I am always on the look out for new gunshops and clubs.  For some reason I have a heck of a time finding much of anything in PA only to find that they are either right next door or a long haul.  I don't know who organized the phonebooks in this state but they were on some grade A crack when the did.
--Thomas Jefferson

Rando375 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rando375 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 22:07
Yeah, been to Reddings once, very good shop. Theres also Shyda's in Lebanon, another good family owned business. I really enjoy the smaller shops as well but it can be tough for them to stay in business. The box stores (ie. BP, Cabelas, etc) make it difficult for these guys but in my opinion, they will survive and do well. For the simple fact that many guys prefer them and the relationships they've built over the years will keep their customers coming back.
By chance, what is your business/job in Baltimore?
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 22:32
I work for Black & Decker, I am part of the Dewalt Cordless Power tool Design team.  I have about 25 years in electronics, 17 defense, 4 Optical and the rest in power electronics at B&D.  I absolutely love B&D, I get to protype concept stuff then basically blow it up!  Working on Lithium Ion batteries and Chargers recently.  It is simply amazing that a single 3.6V cell can source over 100amps.  Lithium batteries are basically energy bombs.  If you don't believe me shoot a fully charge lithium pack...Fireworks...
After some of the testing I have done you couldn't give me a hybrid car with lithium batteries in it, in a bad accident you will be incinerated.

Best of all, being on the design team means I get a LOT of Free Dewalt power tools
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic