OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

what;s a excellent scope in 50mm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what;s a excellent scope in 50mm
    Posted: February/02/2009 at 19:55
i am looking to put about  $ 375.00 max into a great hunting scope in low light and also a easily  reticle to see .whats some good ones/
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 20:06
I would probably do one of two things:

-extend you range a little bit ad get a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x50 with Firefly reticle
-forget about the whole 50mm thing (it is not all that critical) and get a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40 with Firefly reticle

Vortex Viper 3.5-10x50 is a very nice scope, but the available reticles are a bit thin.  In fact, most scopes in you price range have reticles that are, in my opinion, too thin for low light use.  One possible exception is Leupold VX-II line which has a 3-9x50 scope with a thick duplex reticle.  The problem is that I had more problems with VX-II scopes than with all other Leupold scopes put together.  Coupled with rather emdiocre optics, I generally do not recommend VX-II scopes.

ILya

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 20:35
 Here's the only other one I could think of besides the options koshkin mentioned:

I've got two GS's. A 4.75x40 on a .30-06 Handi-rifle and a 3-10x40 on a .270 Mod70 FWT. Both are very nice scopes but are a bit short on eye relief although I've never had a problem.. You didn't mention what rifle/cartridge combo you'd be using so I thought I'd give you a heads up.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 01:03
I probably would not buy a Grand Slam for low light, since the reticle is kinda thin.  It is a good scope otherwise.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 07:01
Actually, mine was pretty good in low-light.  Not as good as my Kahles CL, but better than the Buckmaster, Redfield Golden 5 Star level I had..... much better!  For what he wants to spend,  it wouldn't be a bad choice.  If he decides to step up, the Conquest's reticle would be a big improvement!
take em!
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 07:19
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6833-224-nikon-3-9x50-prostaff-riflescope.aspx

This is a great scope for your needs.I have used one on a 30-06 this hunting season and it was way better than I thought it would be at dusk and dawn.I was able to see 300 yards way after legal shooting light.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 11:17
Sightron Big Sky 3-9x42 happens to be a great low light hunting scope.
amk204 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amk204 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 06:57
50$ rebate on the big sky
Life is to short to shoot an ugly gun
countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 09:09
hunter ,what would be a good  hunting reticle with that scope/ are they as good as the monarch scopes by nikon/
countryboy appreciates
countryboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 09:13
amk,i am liking that rebate.i am having a hard time  deciding  between the two \monarch or big sky for hunting/i  need a good reticle  to see  at dark for one of them.
countryboy appreciates
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic