OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

trifecta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trifecta
    Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:15

Well I just got back from the range.  Tempsi in the low 40s and a 6-10mph quartering headwind.  This is the best weather I've had in 3 weeks, so I had to go shooting! Yippee 

I had just mounted my new elite 4200 2.5-10X40 on my new Savage 100FP 270Win using my new Talley light weights and wanted to sight in badly Clown.

I had worked up 6 different loads to try, my first ever reloads!

I have to say I am pretty pleased with the results.

I had loaded 21 rounds using 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and 52gr of H4831SC in Win Brass with CCI 200 LR primers.
I used these to sight in.  They grouped well immediately, but it took we 4-5 adjustments to dial in.  All shots after that were within a 3" group which was mostly me and some of it the wind.
I also loaded up 10ea of 52.5gr, 53gr, 53.5gr and 54gr as well as 10ea using 42gr & 43gr of H4895.

After cleaning the barrel and concentrating on the basics, especially breathing, the groups quickly shrank.  In just a few rounds I was grouping within 1-1/2" groups and continuely improving. This was all accomplished using only a front sandbag on the bench.  Still haven't found the right benchrest yet.

I am very happy, given that I am simultaneously developing my reloading technique as well as my rifle with optics shooting technique. Thats a lot of variables.

Here are my best two groups at 100yds.

130gr Nosle Ballistic Tip 53gr H4931SC                                                  103gr Nosler Ballistic Tip 43gr H48955

You guys weren't kidding when you told me how good it feels to reload & shoot tight groups!  I am defintely hooked! Big Grin

WELL BACK TO THE RELOADING BENCH!  Man I need to get some Vargit & RE17!!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:31
Reloadergood stuff ...
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:34
Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinCool
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:43
Nice work budperm!
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:49
Nice work!  You might also try RL-22 in your loads.  I have decent luck with that out of my 270.  Although I do want to try 4831 (used it for years) again, and the RL-17 when I can get my hands on some.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:50
Glad to hear your excited about reloading.  Be prepared to obsess about it night and day for quite a while.  That's how it was for me anyways.  What type of reloading equipment did you get?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:53
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Nice work!  You might also try RL-22 in your loads.  I have decent luck with that out of my 270.  Although I do want to try 4831 (used it for years) again, and the RL-17 when I can get my hands on some.

I like RL22 also in my 270 win.  I've had good luck with 56 grains CCI 200 primers and nosler partition 150 grain bullets.  Also Nosler accubond 140 grain bullets with IMR4831 powder.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 17:16
 Yep! Your hooked now. I ran H4831 w/130 gr Speers in my friends .270 Win for 20+ yrs. But I use RL22 in my .300 and .25-06 and it will be the first powder I choose if I decide to reload for my FWT.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 17:55
Thanks everybody, for the positive support and feedback!

I am HOOKED big time!  If I am not careful I'll soon have a couple of tons of powder.  Probably blow the neighborhood up Sorry  LOL
I need to load up some more rounds, maybe dial in a little more elavation and then hit the 200 & 300yds range at the club!!!

I took my 22year old son with me earlier today and he was talking alot of smack since he put me to shame on my first shooting attempt with the Simmons Blazer.  Funny thing...the smack just disappeared about half way through today's shoot!  Whistling

He didn't come out and say it but his expression said... Die

Of course I was careful not to say anything at all or I would be out of a shooting partner
But I was smiling like a MO' FO' on the inside.  Big Grin
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 18:22
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Glad to hear your excited about reloading.  Be prepared to obsess about it night and day for quite a while.  That's how it was for me anyways.  What type of reloading equipment did you get?

Not really knowing anything about reloading and NOT liking the price of factory loads I decided to not go overboard in the beginning.  I bought the Lee 50th anniv. kit for $184 from Cabelas and went from there.  I opted for the deluxe die sets cause they had both full length and neck only sizing dies.  About half the loads I shot today were 1st time reloads from the same gun.  The rest were virgin Winchester brass, now shot sized!  I also understand that RCBS dies can be used in the LEE presses.

So, for about $350 I am set-up with 2 pounds of pound 1000 primers, 100 270Win, 50 308 and 50 8mm bullets all in Nosler Ballistic Tips.  Oh I forgot, I need to buy the dieset for the 8mm still, already have the 270 & 308 diesets $35ea.

With 7000grs per pound thats about 1400 loads at 50gr per.

Once your setup the most expensive supplies is the bullets.  I wanted to get Hornady 130gr SSTs at about half the price as Noslers but NOBODY has stock!
--Thomas Jefferson

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 18:46
Budperm ,I load sst's and the soft points of same manufacture and they shoot exactly the same and in my experience terminal is = as well,so if you can find those go for it a little cheaper ta boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 19:03
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Budperm ,I load sst's and the soft points of same manufacture and they shoot exactly the same and in my experience terminal is = as well,so if you can find those go for it a little cheaper ta boot.

Thanks Rifle Looney,  ALL I got to do if find stock!
This week I am going to take a ride into Gettysburg to Redding Hardware.  They are probably the biggest gunshop with reloading supplies for a 100 miles.  My next option is a gunshop in Wrightsville half way to Lancaster, Omish territory!
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 06:30
  Hey Bud,maybe give the 130gr Speer spbt's a try if you can't find the Hornady's. My friend's .270 Mod 700 really likes them.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 09:39
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Hey Bud,maybe give the 130gr Speer spbt's a try if you can't find the Hornady's. My friend's .270 Mod 700 really likes them.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check them out!

--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic