OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

20X fixed power scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 11:19
You "shoot" deer at 1200 yards or you "shoot at" deer at 1200 yards?

What rifle and caliber?

1200 yards is the better part of a  mile. Any error on your part or any movement on the deer's part or any minor variation in wind along the bullet path and your kill becomes a wound, and it takes awhile to walk 1200 yards.

I hope you are a damn good shot!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 23:58
Smoke and Mirrors. I shoot deer with a Bow.  Walk Closer.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Billygman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billygman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 08:30
So, I really respect the input of this forum to this point and I would like to stir the embers a little. Keeping in mind that I already made a purchase of the SS 10x42, what about a scope with a larger objective lense like the ATN 8x24x75? Well, wait a minute, do you guys even like the ATN scopes?
Thanks, Bill
Serve God with all you heart, mind, soul and strength. Love your brother as you would yourself.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 09:14
Mall ninjas swear by ATN, what more could one ask of a Chinese-made optic?

They are very "tacticool", no doubt.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 10:01
The one exception to the advice given above would be if benchrest shooting is your definition of "target shooting."  In that game, more is better when it comes to magnification because the goal is to shoot the tiniest possible groups.  Besides magnification, having a thin reticle and a scope that absolutely doesn't shift POI trumps everything else, including image quality, since you're only looking at the very center of the field at a tiny section of a paper target.  Some serious BR shooters even permanently glue the erector assy in place so it cannot move and use external adjustments on the mounts. 

I didn't read into the OP's post that BR shooting was the intended use, but I thought I'd throw that out for clarification anyway.

Edited by RifleDude - February/06/2009 at 10:34
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 10:16
Originally posted by Billygman Billygman wrote:

So, I really respect the input of this forum to this point and I would like to stir the embers a little. Keeping in mind that I already made a purchase of the SS 10x42, what about a scope with a larger objective lense like the ATN 8x24x75? Well, wait a minute, do you guys even like the ATN scopes?
Thanks, Bill
I am not a "mall ninja" and I don't stay at Holiday Inn Express. 
Like many of the lower priced scopes, ATN has some good and some bad.  I got one because it had some features I liked at a price I could afford.  It took six iterations to get one that WORKED.  Glass is OK, it DOES have "not bad" low light performance (you could certainly hunt on a low moonlit night), the range finding and BDC are very good.  Clicks in 100yd increments out to 500yds and it was always under 1MOA on the rifle I had it on.  I have the 6-18x65.  My wife really liked it, but it is very heavy and not much suited for hunting unless you are hunting across canyons.  Would I purchase another... not likely.  Do I hate the one I have... no, but I am not crazy about it either.  It was an OK deal at the time.  I don't recommend it, because of the six bad ones I encountered before getting one that actually worked. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 07:47
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

You "shoot" deer at 1200 yards or you "shoot at" deer at 1200 yards?

What rifle and caliber?

1200 yards is the better part of a  mile. Any error on your part or any movement on the deer's part or any minor variation in wind along the bullet path and your kill becomes a wound, and it takes awhile to walk 1200 yards.

I hope you are a damn good shot!

1200 yards is a good poke for me, i only shoot that far if conditions are favorable and i can take a sighter. 800 and under with decent conditions i'll go right after the animal without a sighter. my gun is a custom bullpup that weights 15 lbs. a very unique gun that i mostly built myself. i'd post a pic but i don't know how. cartridge is 338/300 ultra mag. i shoot a 250 gr bullet at 3100 fps. it has plenty for elk at those ranges. my farthest kill had been a groundhog at 1030.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 11:28
Not trying to bug, just trying to understand: you say your furthest "kill" is at 1030 but you take 1200 yard shots, that seems to indicate you miss 1200 yard shots, is that correct?

It ain't my place to critique anyone's hunting habits but, in my experience, a 1200 yard shot requires more than favorable conditions, especially in a scenario where missing by 8 inches on the first shot might cause an animal to suffer a very long and slow death.

Billy, like Kickboxer said, buy ATN at your own risk, they aren't known for great quality optics.
Billygman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billygman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 20:05
Dear Rancid and Kickboxer and other gentlemen,

I'm sticking with the new SS10x42 when it arrives. I sold a Busnell 4200 series 4x16x50 and subsequently purchased the 4.5x 30 x50 in the 6500 series.

The matched Badger Ordinance Max 50 rings have arrived. When every thing comes in, I'm off to Ohio to shoot at a former Marine friend's home. (12 years Corp) I'm looking forward to punching some paper.

At 5 bucks a round, can we talk about reloading? I know this is Optics but does any one have input on the bullets? Type and composition? I'm looking for the most stable flyer.

All of the reloading equipment is Redding.

Thank you guys very much,
Billy G.
Serve God with all you heart, mind, soul and strength. Love your brother as you would yourself.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 20:17
Hornady A-ma xna d Sierra match king have both been very good to me.

Obivously, the rifle will pick the weight, powder, and primer it likes best; but I've always been able to get sub-1/2MOA out past 600 yards with A-max and SMK.

Good luck!
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 17:58
[QUOTE=Rancid Coolaid]Not trying to bug, just trying to understand: you say your furthest "kill" is at 1030 but you take 1200 yard shots, that seems to indicate you miss 1200 yard shots, is that correct?

It ain't my place to critique anyone's hunting habits but, in my experience, a 1200 yard shot requires more than favorable conditions, especially in a scenario where missing by 8 inches on the first shot might cause an animal to suffer a very long and slow death.

what i meant was, i'm confident in my shooting that i would take a 1200 yard shot on a deer if the conditions were good.

i'd like to know what your experience has been that makes a shot of that distance to require more than favorable conditions?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2009 at 19:11
Obviously, you do some practicing at that distance???  It is difficult to find a place to shoot that far these days.  Private land or a public range?  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Billygman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billygman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 12:34
To tag onto that, Any long ranges in New England? Massachusetts?
Thanks, Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic