OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

bushnell banner (old style) any good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bushnell banner (old style) any good?
    Posted: January/31/2009 at 16:10
I have the opertunity to purchase a bushnell banner and was told it was the old style banner.... so im guessing its an old model.  The seller is asking $30...  is this scope any good?   is that a good deal? 
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 16:12
I cant edit my embarassing typo?  Sleep
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 16:38
Well it all depends on which one of the many, many incarnations of the Banner scope it is.  If it is in really pristine condition it could be worth $30 certainly.....depends on whether it is a Japanese model or not.   And what you are going to put it on.   I had a Bushnell Banner from 1978 on a 270 Win and it worked fine.  But some of the stuff that they make today might fall apart on a BB gun.   Find out what it is and how old it is......pictures....  Big Grin
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 17:22
I had a made in Japan Bushnell banner from the 80's probably.  It was a reliable scope on a 12 gauge for many years.  I would not pay any more than $30 for it and honestly if the person is your friend they should just give it to you depending how old it is. 
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 19:55
Originally posted by donlipa donlipa wrote:

I had a made in Japan Bushnell banner from the 80's probably.  It was a reliable scope on a 12 gauge for many years.  I would not pay any more than $30 for it and honestly if the person is your friend they should just give it to you depending how old it is. 

would the made in japan be stamped on the scope or box?

thanks for the replies
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 20:10
It should be marked on the scope, either on the turret assembly or underneath the scope between the turret assembly and power ring on the tube itself.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 20:11
They were all made in Japan. It's worth $30 if in any decent shape. They were pretty darn good scopes. I had a 4x on a .270 for years and it never shifted point of impact, and was bright and sharp enough to kill plenty of game here in Montana out to 400 yards. It was purchased new in the mid-70's.

A lot of people are under the impression that all older Bushnell scopes were semi-junk. This is not true. In 1993 I hunted in Africa for the first time, and my PH's father was an ex-Zimbabwe control shooter. His main rifle was a .458 with a 2.5x Bushnell from about 1958, near as he could recall. He had shot at least 5000 rounds from the rifle and the scope was still good, though a little worn on the outside.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 10:06
I've also got one of the older Bushnell Banner scopes. It's at least 20 years old as it came on a Ruger I purchased back in the late 80's. It's actually quite decent. As a matter of fact, I'm going to give it to a friend who just purchased a Rem700 .243 which needs some glass. He is tickled pink (for free... he ought to be). LOL
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
sc928porsche View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sc928porsche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 15:50
I have a 3-9 on an 30-06 rem 760 gamemaster that I purchaced in 1969.  It still functions well today.
there is no stupid question. Whats stupid is not asking it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic