OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why Hunting is Right

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/27/2009 at 14:25

Hunting is good, when done correctly. Its the game killers that make us look bad.

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 05:28
Originally posted by medic52 medic52 wrote:

Hunting is good, when done correctly. Its the game killers that make us look bad.

What do you mean by this?  Hunters kill game and this nothing to be ashamed of.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 07:36
Some people are all about taggin out.  And a lot of people don't worry about bag limits.  It's all about the kill for this group.

Whereas others (myself included) are a lot more selective about what animals we harvest and how many animals we harvest.  It's more about going huntin than killing for us.

Another way to put it is....

Some people hunt to kill

While others kill to hunt
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 12:37
Those who break the law are poachers.  And if my "killing" things offends you, then maybe you should take up golf.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 17:48
Killers are not hunters .yes a successful hunt ends in taking or killing an animal this is true, but if you are admitting you are just a killer and have no passion for the sport then it is you or they, whom need to take up golf or whatever. telling people you are a killer makes you and us look bad and this we do not need. Do you not realize what kind of people look at these forums just to gather crap on us? think about it .
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 22:15
Good post, James.  There is much that could be added, much implied, but you have captured the essence.  I hunt for many reasons, sometimes for food, sometimes to protect, sometimes just to hunt... never just to kill.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/28/2009 at 23:22
Hunting is good for your health. Especially Turkey Hunting 
See Below

An 80 year old man went to the doctor for a check up and the doctor was amazed at what good shape the guy was in. The doctor asked, "To what do you attribute your good health?"

The old timer said, "I'm a turkey hunter and that's why I'm in such good shape. I'm up well before daylight and out chasing turkeys up and down the mountains."

The doctor said, "Well, I'm sure that helps, but there has got to be more to it. How old was your dad when he died?"

The old timer said, "Who said my dad's dead?"

The doctor said, "You mean you're 80 years old and your dad's still alive? How old is he?"

The old timer said, "He's 100 yrs old and in fact he hunted turkey with me this morning, and that's why he's still alive... he's a turkey hunter."

The doctor said, "Well, that's great, but I'm sure there's more to it. How about your dad's dad? How old was he when he died?"

The old timer said, "Who said my grandpa's dead?"

The doctor said, "You mean you're 80 years old and your grandfather' s still living! How old is he?"

The old timer said, "He's 118 yrs old."

The doctor was getting frustrated at this point and said, "I guess he went turkey hunting with you this morning too?"

The old timer said, "No... Grandpa couldn't go this morning because he got married."

The Doctor said in amazement, "Got married!! Why would a 118-year-old guy want to get married?"

The old timer said, "Who said he wanted to?"
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 02:59
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Killers are not hunters .yes a successful hunt ends in taking or killing an animal this is true, but if you are admitting you are just a killer and have no passion for the sport then it is you or they, whom need to take up golf or whatever. telling people you are a killer makes you and us look bad and this we do not need. Do you not realize what kind of people look at these forums just to gather crap on us? think about it .

The purpose of hunting is to kill. Otherwise there would be no "hunting" involved.  If you feel that you need to sugarcoat the killing aspect of hunting, then you are part of the image problem, because you are making excuses for something that doesn't need to be excused.  The fact that hunting involves killing is a reality, and if you can't handle that, if you are afraid that fact might offend somebody, then you should find a hobby that you don't need to make excuses for.

"'Well I hunt but not to kill"

What a joke.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 07:51
Maybe things change as you get older.  When I was a younger fellow it was all about getting my deer/ducks/moose every year.  Shooting varmints is a different proposition - that's mainly about the kills.  Now I just really enjoy being out in the woods and sharing the experience with my boys.

If I get a deer well that's just a bonus, but I honestly get just as much satisfaction enjoying the solitude and seeing game even if I can't take a shot.  Not sugar coating for me and I am prepared to take game, just different priorities now.

Edited by Dogger - April/29/2009 at 10:02
God save the Empire!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 08:13
Passthrough ,you need to reread the post I made and I am not trying to sugar coat anything what I stated is fact if you cant deal with it well????????  
pass-thru View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pass-thru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 09:46
The question I raised pertained to this cryptic statement: " Its the game killers that make us look bad."   ......which has yet to be explained.

The fact of the matter is, if you hunt, you kill game.  It doesn't matter if you are selective or shoot your limit every time, if your intent is not to kill game, you are not hunting.  Therefore I can only assume that poster intended to state that hunters make themselves look bad.  Which, unqualified, is an anti-hunting statement.  Furthermore, there is absolutely nothing wrong with shooting the limit everytime, as long as you are following the law and not wasting what you shoot (which hunters are not typically wasteful).

I am proud to hunt I don't think it is something that needs to be euphamized.  I also don't question the motives of fellow lawabiding hunters.  If I think a practice is unethical I will speak out about it.  But to cast blanket aspersions not based in fact is playing into the hands of the antis.  And so is making "kill" a dirty word.
RONK View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/29/2009 at 20:35
 I'm with pass-thru on this one. If we HUNT, we sometimes KILL. Period.
 No sense in dwelling on it. No honor in bragging about it. No need to apologise for it.
And certainly no need to go into some wierd metaphysical discourse about how "well, we  do hunt, but we don't really, but we sometimes don't like to, but we often need to, even if it bleeds, (but we don't like to see it's tongue hanging out)" nonsense.
 Getting all squishy about it plays right into the anti's hands.

Hunt.
 Kill when it is right to do so.
 Don't kill when it isn't right to do so. (If you aren't sure, go grocery shopping instead.)
 Eat it if it's edible, bury it if it isn't.
 What is so hard about that?

Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 11:26
Aside from all the reasons given for hunting, ANYTHING that pisses off the liberal left, I`ll be more than very happy to do!!
RONK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RONK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 18:36

Heck, Squeeze, YOU do a lot of stuff that pisses off the Conservative Right!

And the Moderate Left.

And the Extreme Right.

And the Liberal Right.

And the Extreme Radical Left.

And the Moderate Left

And Centrists.

And hippies.

And Rush Limbaugh.

And Alec Baldwin.

And Rifle Dude.

And Ann Coulter.

Not me so much anymore though. I'm actually pretty mellow...

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 20:39

Laugh Above !!!!!!!!!!
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 22:39
Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

And the Moderate Left.

And the Extreme Right.

And the Liberal Right.

And the Moderate Left

And Centrists.

And hippies.

And Rush Limbaugh.

And Alec Baldwin.

And Rifle Dude.

And Ann Coulter.

............Oh Yeah??????........Me piss off the conservative right? Name some stuff!!!!..........Of those you list, I`ll be more than happy to piss off the following with glee and frolic!!!!!!

moderate left
extreme radical left
liberal right (those who compromise consersative values)
centrists
dope smokin hippies with tatoos, fleas and maggots
Alec Baldwin 

I can also add that little dwarf Bill Maher too

Sorry! I couldn`t piss off Rush or Ann even if I tried. I agree too much with both them!

Rifle Dude and you??? I`ll see what I can do!!!.................Roll on Floor Laughing
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/30/2009 at 22:50
Originally posted by Big Squeeze Big Squeeze wrote:

Originally posted by RONK RONK wrote:

And the Moderate Left.

And the Extreme Right.

And the Liberal Right.

And the Moderate Left

And Centrists.

And hippies.

And Rush Limbaugh.

And Alec Baldwin.

And Rifle Dude.

And Ann Coulter.

............Oh Yeah??????........Me piss off the conservative right? Name some stuff!!!!..........Of those you list, I`ll be more than happy to piss off the following with glee and frolic!!!!!!

moderate left
extreme radical left
liberal right (those who compromise consersative values)
centrists
dope smokin hippies with tatoos, fleas and maggots
Alec Baldwin 

I can also add that little dwarf Bill Maher too

Sorry! I couldn`t piss off Rush or Ann even if I tried. I agree too much with both them!

Rifle Dude and you??? I`ll see what I can do!!!.................Roll on Floor Laughing

Get Your Popcorn Ready
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 08:21
That's a GREAT BIG AMEN !!!!Excellent
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 08:24

AMEN!

[QUOTE=Heavishot]

Hunting as a heritage has been passed down from generation to generation since the beginning of time.  As society has developed, the modernization and automation of our lives has increased to the point that most people no longer need to hunt to provide food for their families.  And with the convenience of grocery stores and restaurants many people have forsaken man's role in nature as the hunter.  Along with this change in society some people even question whether it is ethically or morally right to hunt at all.  A trusted friend and Bible scholar put together the following essay discussing why hunting is both ethically and morally right.

Why is Hunting Right?
(Compiled by Joe P.)

Following are some thoughts about hunting that I've used in helping those opposed to hunting understand that it is Biblically allowable and the prudent thing to do.  Because Christ loves us so much, many perceive Him loving animals in some way, equal to us.  However, this is not the case.   There basically are two general opinions held about wild game, the long standing traditions that have been passed down from generation to generation and the new belief that seems to place animals on a higher level of being, similar to humans.  Our society's overt love for animals, as supported by animal rights groups such as PETA has caused people to believe that there is something inherently wrong with the selective harvesting of wild game animals. Many have solidified their thinking about animals.  The Bible gives a very different view of the subject.  God does not forbid the killing of animals, He actually encourages it.

Following are several insights into the legal and ethical harvesting of wild game:

First, it is both legal and thus ethical in the state of Texas and throughout the

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/04/2009 at 16:31
ExcellentHead BangThunbs Up
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic