OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why Hunting is Right

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Hunting is Right
    Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:10
Hunting as a heritage has been passed down from generation to generation since the beginning of time.  As society has developed, the modernization and automation of our lives has increased to the point that most people no longer need to hunt to provide food for their families.  And with the convenience of grocery stores and restaurants many people have forsaken man's role in nature as the hunter.  Along with this change in society some people even question whether it is ethically or morally right to hunt at all.  A trusted friend and Bible scholar put together the following essay discussing why hunting is both ethically and morally right.

Why is Hunting Right?
(Compiled by Joe P.)

Following are some thoughts about hunting that I've used in helping those opposed to hunting understand that it is Biblically allowable and the prudent thing to do.  Because Christ loves us so much, many perceive Him loving animals in some way, equal to us.  However, this is not the case.   There basically are two general opinions held about wild game, the long standing traditions that have been passed down from generation to generation and the new belief that seems to place animals on a higher level of being, similar to humans.  Our society's overt love for animals, as supported by animal rights groups such as PETA has caused people to believe that there is something inherently wrong with the selective harvesting of wild game animals. Many have solidified their thinking about animals.  The Bible gives a very different view of the subject.  God does not forbid the killing of animals, He actually encourages it.

Following are several insights into the legal and ethical harvesting of wild game:

First, it is both legal and thus ethical in the state of Texas and throughout theUnited States

rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:19
Heavishot....never had I seen this before so true thanks for sharing this...  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:31
I have seen it before, read it recently to help overcome some errant thought processes.  It is always good to refresh the mind with these thoughts.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:46
When you start to talk right vs. wrong you need to establish a solid basis and that's the reason for the Biblical references.  I know not everyone is interested in spiritual things and I respect their right live how they see fit.  Anyway, I think we can all find some useful info here to help education the public on the benefits of our wild pursuits.

Edited by Heavishot - January/31/2009 at 13:47
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 14:04
Would also suggest as an excellent resource and a good read a book called, "Meditations on Hunting" by  José Ortega y Gasset .

It makes a compelling case on the essence and ethics of hunting.  Often quoted by Col Cooper.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 14:16
Thank you, Dogger.  I'll get that.

BTW, does your presence mean you are back from New Zealand?  

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 14:17
Excellent post Heavishot!!!  Excellent

Edited by helo18 - January/31/2009 at 16:39
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 14:19
Not to hihjack this post but yes, they finally kicked me out of N.Z.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 14:24
In addition to that book, I ordered 
As well.

Thank you, again.

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 14:31
Only recently ( the 20th century ) has mankind gotten so stupid that explanations like this have even come up in conversation.  Previous generations did not question such ordinary behavior. 

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 14:39
I haven't questioned anyone else's hunting, only my own, Ed.  I don't NEED to kill for meat, but I do enjoy "the hunt" and I love venison, like squirrel OK, really like most game animals.  Some of my girls have really given me fits about hunting and it has just caused some soul searching.  I managed to overcome the "guilt" and finally pull the trigger on a couple this year (my lowest production in MANY years) but the shadow is still there.  Just reinforcing my inner killer, Ed.

Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 14:42
Our citified society has somehow made a distinction between buying a hamburger at McDonalds and killing an animal for our table.  
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 15:04
I am not in any way "citified".  It's all part of the antigun agenda of many.  We don't "need" to hunt for food any longer, so why would anyone need a gun?  And the killing of animals for meat in the stores is downplayed and glossed over.  I've worked in a slaughterhouse (back when there were real slaughterhouses), so I know and understand all that very well...  it does not take away from the tears in my daughter's eyes when I bring home a dead deer. 

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 15:20

Is your daughter old enough to be set in her views or do you have room for discussion?

One of my daughter used to feel like that but she now has a little broader outlook although she will never hunt herself.  Took a few years of gentle persuasion to change her outlook.
God save the Empire!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 16:47
Oh....I thought we were talking about HUNTING in a philosophic manner to answer today's societies tantrums.  I, myself, sometimes don't want to kill game that is in my crosshairs simply because I don't feel like it......just let 'em go!!  GET AWAY!!   Bucky

Big racks help.  Does for meat and to help the population out.  Bucks are trophy bucks.  Or mature, at least.  Just shooting a deer to shoot a deer is not for me.  A varmint is different.  And it helps if he has pissed me off!! 
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 17:46
good stuff nice topic
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2009 at 20:10
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

Would also suggest as an excellent resource and a good read a book called, "Meditations on Hunting" by  José Ortega y Gasset .

It makes a compelling case on the essence and ethics of hunting.  Often quoted by Col Cooper.
Dogger,
 I started reading, this morning "Heartsblood" by David Peterson, with a foreward by Ted Williams (about halfway finished).  Haven't started the Ortega book yet, but Peterson quotes him and it pretty much sums up what I went through last year "Every good hunter is uneasy in the depths of his conscience when faced with the death he is about to inflict on the enchanting animal."  It delves deeply into the psychology of ethical hunting.  He also speaks of a book called "Dersu, the Trapper" about a Manchurian mountain man, Dersu Uzala, as chronicaled by Vladimir Arseniev.  Another I will have to read.  However, I've had many of my own feelings about hunting confirmed.  Quite refreshing.  I recommend it for everyone to read.  Many will not like it as it challenges many of the precepts of "modern hunting".  

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 17:34
Aldo Leopold... "A man may not care for golf and still be human.  But the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph,  or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal.  He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him."  
Can I hear an "AMEN"...

edited for typo

Edited by Kickboxer - April/26/2009 at 17:56

mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 17:51
AMEN!!!  Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/26/2009 at 18:01
 AMEN! Brother AMEN!  We ARE the caretakers. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic