OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why we hunt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why we hunt
    Posted: January/31/2009 at 11:37
Last night I had a conversation with Monster and he stated he wanted to post a topic on why we hunt .Then decided against it ,well I say this would be interesting so....why do you hunt?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 12:24
It's been done before and with a poll too. In fact a lot of the threads have been done before but it's cool to revisit again!!! Big Grin

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 12:28
  I hunt because I don't know not how to. Must be that "UG" gene in me!
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 12:47
OK.....sorry did some diggin couldn't find anything before I posted so all is good but you would like to answer thanks.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 12:52
No worries, I meant it's cool to do another thread and revisit. Always fun and you get people who didn't post the first time around too.

Edited by mike650 - January/31/2009 at 14:04
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:07
I hunt both for the challenge and to relax and unwind.  Plus my wife says I have a better attitude when I come back from a hunting trip. 

I don't want to hi-jack your thread but I've got a great article on why hunting is right.  I'll post it in another thread if anyone's interested.
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:09
Go ahead and post it here .
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 19:07
I hunt because hunting takes a lot of different skills in order to be successful. A hunter to me must be patient, attentive, a marksman, stealthy, poised...the list goes on and on. Hunting to me is also a way for me to get out of the city life. When your hunting life slows down a bit. You get to see a lot of cool things when you hunt that would you would not see in everyday life. Not only that but you are doing something that has been around for generations and generations. That's why I hunt.
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 11:27
I hunt because I was raised as doing so, and  thoroughly enjoy it I believe we as hunters are the best way to control the animal population,it is naturally something a human does at least a human with the right mind frame and understands the importance of doing so .also the adventure and travel  for me is always as much fun ,it is always a learning experience a chance to unwind ,relax,find ones inner self.and be a part of nature.and because I want to.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 19:31
I view hunting as a survival skill.  Man has been able to survive many things by adapting to his enviroment. I think we have lost a lot of the survival skills  our grandfathers had. I think being able to grow food and hunt for food is useful in uncertain times.   What if the grocery store didnt open for the next three months. There are things that could cause that - a pandemic like bird flu, economic colapse, civil disorder, weather related problem like huricane or flooding, earthquakes destroying road systems, or a liberal majority in DC.
The future always has an element of uncertainty - thats why so many animals come in the single serving size.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 21:40
I consider hunting as communing with nature. 
The necessary stealth & woodcraft that allows you to move around in the woods, instead of disturbing the widelife, being one with it. 
The patience and level of concentration required to stalk and track your game undetected.  The survival skills that keep you safe, all this brings an inner-peace that is hard to measure but sorely missed when gone! 
I have taken scouting walks with friends before deer season and I immediately noticed how heavyfooted most are, and oblivious to it too.  They might as well be banging a metal trashcan lid with a big stick.  Even the crickets and frogs grow silent when they pass. 
I find myself immediately dropping into stealth mode, no more walking on my heels.  Automatically noting the path in from of me for foot placement.  My eyes and ears both simultaneously focused and disfused alert for the taletells of widelife. 
I find myself quickly distancing myself from these noisy clumsy wouldbe hunters...the weekend warriors. 
Finding a resting spot and settling in.  Listening to the woods around you.  Closing your eyes and identifying the sounds and the direction they came from.  There is no better stress relief than time in the woods! 
Then the thrill of the hunt!  Pulse racing as your quary approaches.  The aggonizing wait for a clean shot.  The stretching of time as the moment of truth nears.  The slow squeeze of the trigger and the surprising roar of the rifle and time stands still.... Then your heart starts beating again and the first urgent  thought shoots thru your mind.  Did I get him????  Followed by a multitude of others.  All the what ifs and second guessing.  Then the brainfog starts to clear and you realize that it has only been a couple of seconds since you fired!

Man I just can't get enough of it!  The hardest part of all is when the times comes to return to civilization and the 9 to 5 grind.  What a total and utter buzzkill!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 21:44
Budperm are a freakin writer...... jeez dude that was really good.

ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 21:56
Originally posted by rifle looney rifle looney wrote:

Budperm are a freakin writer...... jeez dude that was really good.

ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent

Thanks much, RL, but not even close.  Would you believe that english was my worst subject in school?  It was, no lie!  This was from the heart!  I guess it just shows!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 22:03
I wish we could all see/do/ think/ enjoy/express/ like that.     excellent!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 22:03
By the way, this is a great topic you and Monster came up with I don't care if its been done before!!!  I am sure that you will get many great replies that will touch us all!

Thunbs Up   ExcellentExcellentExcellentExcellent

--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 22:28
Credit goes to .......Monster .........I just posted it.

Wink
Monster View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 23:17
Thanks RL! I enjoy reading everyone's posts on this topic. Very good post budperm! 
"Get Busy Livin' or get busy dyin'" -Red (Shawshank Redemption)
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 08:15

I hunt for fellowship, food, and to teach others about the outdoors and the skills to survive if the SHTF. As most on here know I take my hunting to extremes. When I’m hunting there is no such thing as bad weather. It drives my wife crazy but I was born to hunt. If I could figure a way to hunt and make a living at it I would. My dream is to own a place where I can take kids that are handicap or doesn’t have someone to take them for them to hunt for free a few times a year and have a good success rate. I know I take things for granted when I grab my stuff and my kids stuff and off we go. I know a lot of kids never get the opportunity to do this and want to really bad and this bothers me to no end. I never had a dad to take me and when the rest of my family would go it would break my heart to see them go with out me. One day I packed all my clothes and got in the truck and told my granddad I was going. I was 8 years old. Well he took me every weekend from then on out. He died shortly after that trip and my uncle took me. I just remember how I felt as a kid wanting to go and don’t want any kid ever to have that feeling.

That’s why I hunt.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 09:20
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

I hunt for fellowship, food, and to teach others about the outdoors and the skills to survive if the SHTF. As most on here know I take my hunting to extremes. When I’m hunting there is no such thing as bad weather. It drives my wife crazy but I was born to hunt. If I could figure a way to hunt and make a living at it I would. My dream is to own a place where I can take kids that are handicap or doesn’t have someone to take them for them to hunt for free a few times a year and have a good success rate. I know I take things for granted when I grab my stuff and my kids stuff and off we go. I know a lot of kids never get the opportunity to do this and want to really bad and this bothers me to no end. I never had a dad to take me and when the rest of my family would go it would break my heart to see them go with out me. One day I packed all my clothes and got in the truck and told my granddad I was going. I was 8 years old. Well he took me every weekend from then on out. He died shortly after that trip and my uncle took me. I just remember how I felt as a kid wanting to go and don’t want any kid ever to have that feeling.

That’s why I hunt.

Thunbs Up  I'm with ya BD!  All we have to do is find a couple hundred acres or so, work Uncle Sam for funding,  get some non-profit orgs involved then start some local, state and national hunting programs for the physically impaired and we are off to the races.  I'm willing to relocate!  You really touched a note about not having a father to take you out.  I am glad gramps then your uncle answered the call, kudos to them both!!!  My dad was a CPA and a bookworm who hated to get his hands dirty.  I grew up in the marshes of northern florida, Jacksonville, and learned most of my woodcraft the hard way...dodgeing water moccasins and aligators.  By age 8, I could build a mean leanto that was watertight!  i spent more time in the woods then out, much to my mom's chargrin!  I think it was harder having a dad that closed himself off from the rest of the world...and me...than it would have been not having one at all.  A blob in the corner with his nose always in a book.  I always resented him preferring books over me.  Thats about all I remember of the last 25 years of his life, having a bookcover instead of a face!  What a waste!
--Thomas Jefferson

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 09:40
I hunt so that I can post articles and pics in SWFA Optics Forum!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic