OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Remmy .338 mag

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooterpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Remmy .338 mag
    Posted: January/31/2009 at 09:40
I just got a Remington .338 Win mag.  Anyways I am wondering what scope to get.  I am looking at either the Buckmaster, team primos, or Fullfield 2.  What do you guys think would be the better scope?  Thanks!!
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 09:52
The Team Primos...by a lot.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 09:53
      +1    Wink
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 10:12
I would get the Fullfield II. The Nikons may be a little better optically, but in the past couple of years I have had much better luck with FFII's holding up on rifles of substantial recoil than any Nikons, including Monarchs. And a .338 has substantial recoil.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 10:36
im fixing to run my primos through the wringer, i put it on my .375H&H after i consulted with nikon they said it would be fine, i guess if i breaks i will know why. will let you know how that goes, i was half tempted to put my 4200 elite on it since they test the 4200 with 10,000 simulated rounds of .375H&H
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
shooterpunk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooterpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 10:45
Ya let me know how that goes.  I have $300 to spend, but I was wanting to spend around 200 for a scope so that I can get some reloading stuff for it too.  Ill have to go to cabelas here and look at the different scopes too.  If i get a Burris FF2 im going to get the one that isnt bundled together with anything as I hear they are better quality than the bundled ones.  
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:22
Or!....... You can save a few more bucs and get the 2.5-8x36 VX3 and not worry about any recoil issues, or any eye relief issues for that matter.

If unable, go with the Primos.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooterpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:26
I would love a VX3, but unfortunetly out of my price range.  The wife doesnt see the need to spend that much on a scope, and I think I can get a nice one for $200.  Thanks for the replies!
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 13:45
The VX-II's are just as tough as the VX-III's or VX-3's, and have darn good optics. Of course it all depends on what you intend to hunt with the rifle. I have hunted all over North America, and in Europe and Africa, with my own .338 with a 4x Leupold and never felt the need for more scope.

Of course if you are going to use it to hunt whitetails in the dark then that might not work.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 15:37
I have had good luck with the Burris myself. I have always found Burris scopes to be rugged. I have one that has visited many of my rifles through the years, including a .375 H&H. I think the Burris is a solid choice.
My Monarch is on a .260 so recoil proof is not an issue.
The Leupold's would be a good choice, too, though not on your list. The 2.5-8x36 can't be mounted on the M700 long action without off set rings. The 1.75-6 Leupold is longer and easier to mount on the long action.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 15:51
Anything I own above .300mag wears a leupold, I'm not saying they are the best, but I've never had one fail and the optics are good enough for any hunting I'm likely to do.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooterpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 16:59
Well I think I have decided on the Burris FF2.  It will fit fine on a Remington long action right?  Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 17:10
The 2-7 might be tight depending on the mounts. If you use the standard or dual dovetail Leupold or Burris it will work. The 3-9 is no problem either way.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 17:25
Originally posted by shooterpunk shooterpunk wrote:

If i get a Burris FF2 im going to get the one that isnt bundled together with anything as I hear they are better quality than the bundled ones.  

I agree 100%!  I got my son one of these that came with a set of bins and I was not happy with the scope and I sold it.  I thought it had distortion at the outer 25%.  It bothered me enough that we replaced it with a Vortex Diamondback, which seems much better.  I have to tell you I was pretty dissappointed since I had heard such good things about the FFII!
take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 08:58
Originally posted by shooterpunk shooterpunk wrote:

Ya let me know how that goes.  I have $300 to spend, but I was wanting to spend around 200 for a scope so that I can get some reloading stuff for it too.  Ill have to go to cabelas here and look at the different scopes too.  If i get a Burris FF2 im going to get the one that isnt bundled together with anything as I hear they are better quality than the bundled ones.  

thats correct!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooterpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 10:14
How would a leupold VX-I stand up to the .338?  How about optically to the buckmaster or FFii?
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 16:41
I had a VX I 1-4X20 on  my 338 win.  Mine did fine on the rifle.  I had no problems other than the optics were not very good at all.  My FFII is much clearer and brighter.  I sold the VXI, though, and got nearly what I paid for it.  That's one good thing about the leupolds.
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 17:16
I belive that saving money on a scope is not very smart.
Especially when the rifle kicks a bit like the 338 Winnie does.

Let´s say that the $200 scope last a year, then you have to buy another one, and perhaps a third one a couple of years later Whatever

The present VXII is the same scope (more or less I have heard) that the old VariXIII.
My VariX III, an 2,5-8x36, has lived a long life on a 375H&H and lately on a 338 Winmag, and will be one of two scopes I will use on my 375 Ruger when I get the rifle back from the smith.
Thats one heck of a investment isn´t it ?
Go for a VXII if you can and never look back, best kid on the block Smile

Seawolf
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 19:53
  Also there's nothing wrong with the FFII's. They seem to have a good following at the Alaska forum I frequent. I worked up loads for two rifles for a friend that were equipped with them and will tell ya,as ckk said,they are CLEAR and BRIGHT.
Dave Wilson View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 20:44
i'm with seawolf. a $200 scope on a 338? the only under 200 scope i'd put on a 338 would be a 3200 straight 10x. great little scope for the money, of course not exactly the ticket.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic