OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Upcoming reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upcoming reviews
    Posted: January/30/2009 at 19:15
Since it is the beginning of the new year, I am, yet again, trying to figure out what equipment I will be looking at in the coming months.  A few things are already in motion.  Some other stuff still needs to be set up.  As always, I am open to suggestions.

1) I will be comparing several 4-14x or similar scopes.  So far it looks like I will have the following scopes for this review: Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 (courtesy of SWFA test-drive), Vortex Viper 4-12x40 (I already ahve this one), Hawke Frontier SF 4-16x42 (courtesy of Hawke Optics), Sightron S2 Big Sky (not sure which model yet, I am working on this).  This is probably enough, but I may add either Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch to the list.

2) Vortex Strikefire Red Dot sight (on the way)

3) Vortex Viper 6x32 binoculars (on the way)

4) Vortex Razor rifle scopes (some time later in the year depending on when they go into production)

5) Leatherwood Optics Professional 2.5-10x44 and/or UniDial 7-30x50.

I do not know what my time requirements will be through the year, but what else would you like me to look at?  I make no guarantees, but I am definitely open to suggestions.

Edited:
Here are the suggestions so far:

Binoculars: Kowa Genesis 8x33 vs Meopta Meostar 8x32 vs Leica Ultravid HD 8x32

Binoculars: Minox HG 8.5x42 vs Meopta Meostar 8x42

"Traditional" hunting scopes: IOR Hunting 4x32 vs Zeiss Conquest 4x32

Midrange tactical scopes that do not break the bank.  This is a topic that is certainly of interest to me, but it is a bit ambiguous.  I need to think of what the contender here are.  What do we consider a "does not break the bank" threshold? $400, $600, $800, $1000?  Then, how do we define a "tactical scope"? presence of tall knobs and a ranging reticle? FFP or SFP (or no difference)?  I am looking for some feedback here. 

Scopes: Sightron S3 vs Bushnell Elite 4200 vs Bushnell Elite 6500 vs Nikon Monarch.  A look at the high magnificaiton versions of these scopes would be an interesting exercise.  I have looked at all four in some detail, but never all four side by side.

Swaro American 3-9x35 and/or 3-10x42  vs  ?????????

Thanks.
ILya

Edited by koshkin - February/02/2009 at 18:37
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 19:30
How about the Kowa Genesis bins?
... any model.

Maybe a comparison of their midsize vs. Meopta 32mm.

Given the high praise their Prominar scopes receive, I don't understand why you seldom hear about their flagship binos.  The few reviews I have read about them were very favorable.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 19:42
Good point.  I was very impressed with the 8x33 when I looked at them during SHOT.

I will try to get my hands on one, although in all fairness you should review them since you have the Leica Ultravid HD 8x32 to compare.

The only high quality binocular of similar configuration currently in my possession is the Nikon Premier SE 8x32 porro.

ILya
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 19:51
The IOR 4x32 hunting scope? And something Minox for good measure?  Minox vs Meotpa?

Edited by silver - January/30/2009 at 19:52
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 19:52
I'd be happy to review them, if there was a way I could get to play with one without having to buy it first.  I don't have the clout you do, Ilya!Wink

It would be great to compare the Meostar and Genesis head to head with the Ultravid HD.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 19:59
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I'd be happy to review them, if there was a way I could get to play with one without having to buy it first.  I don't have the clout you do, Ilya!Wink

It would be great to compare the Meostar and Genesis head to head with the Ultravid HD.

I do not think I will be able to get the Genesis without paying for them either.  I have absolutely zero clout with Kowa (or Meopta for that matter).  A lot of the stuff I play with I buy and then sell.

Anyhow, we'll see how that develops.

ILya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 20:01
Originally posted by silver silver wrote:

The IOR 4x32 hunting scope? And something Minox for good measure?  Minox vs Meotpa?

I have looked at IOR 4x32 scope before and a few people here have it (RC being one of them).  Is there something specific you are trying to figure out about that scope?

As for Minox, I am not sure they have anything currently available that I am interested in.  Do you have a specific product in mind?

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 20:38

ILya, have you already done a review on the Swaro AV (american)? 

take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 20:44
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

ILya, have you already done a review on the Swaro AV (american)? 

Not yet, although I have played with a couple in the past.  I should probably consider this one, although I need to decide what I can compare it too and where I can get my hands on one.

SInce this one I may end up having to buy, it would have to wait for a little bit until I sell some stuff I am done with (in the "For Sale" forum already).

ILya
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 20:53
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have looked at IOR 4x32 scope before and a few people here have it (RC being one of them).  Is there something specific you are trying to figure out about that scope?

As for Minox, I am not sure they have anything currently available that I am interested in.  Do you have a specific product in mind?

ILya

I'd like to know how the 4x32 IOR compares to the Zeiss conquest.  Color clarity, depth of field and user friendlyness of the eye box. 

I'd like to know how the Minox 8.5x42 compares to the Meotpa 8x42.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 20:55
There always seems to be a demand for some type of variable tactical scope that doesnt break the bank.  I had hoped the unidial might be a solid scope as I like the idea of the marks on the turret that can be set to dial in correction or possibly the leatherwood ART. I know the variable Super Sniper will be out sometime and if it would be possible to review that it would be nice. Not sure what else bears looking at that has target turrets that would be reliable but hopefully under the 600  to  700 range.  There are Burris fulfield tacticals and Leu Mk 2 but I know nothing about them.  The Leu Mk 4 PR is gone but the 4.5-14x40  is still in the line and it seems to be the cheapest reliable tactical. If you have some ideas Id love to hear them.  How about this one
ART624X50 New Leatherwood 6-24x50 Camputer ART M-1200 Rifle Scope                                                                 New Leatherwood 6-24x50 Camputer ART M-1200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • No Math Mil-Dot
  • 1"

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 21:32
can you use a scope from the samplelist to do a compare or is that not a fair/valid test?
take em!
skilly1979 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skilly1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 21:36
how about reviewing the S3 against the 4200 or 6500 and the monarch, i think a lot of guys would like to see how one another compare.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 12:49

ILya

I'd like to know how the 4x32 IOR compares to the Zeiss conquest.  Color clarity, depth of field and user friendlyness of the eye box. 

............and how long of a mounting length does it have????      Big Grin
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 15:26

ILya

Can't speak for the Minox, but I own the IOR 4x and spent some time yesterday with the Meopta.

The IOR is sturdy (a little heavy), great glass, very solid, fantastic for mid-range rifle (mine is on a .45/70.)  I liked the IOR over the Conquest due to glass quality (it looked better to me than the Conquest) and due durability.  The gun it is on is the knock-around gun, not a "be careful not to bump it or drop it" kinda gun.

I usually recommend Conquest, the 4X IOR is an exception, great scope for the money.

As for Meopta, the glass is great.  My concern with Meopta is no one knows what the hell they are talking about.  I had a guy tell me Meopta makes Swarovski and Zeiss scopes - like both OEM their scopes from Meopta.  I really liked the glass, the scope seemed heavy but durable, but Meopta's confusion about who and what meopta is holds me back at this moment.

No experience with Minox.

If you need a good 4x, it is very hard to beat the IOR.  I think in 4X, the IOR is best bang-for-buck till you get to about $700, then others beat it handily.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 15:29
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

ILya

............and how long of a mounting length does it have????      Big Grin

I compared both and bought the IOR, eye relief is good, easy to get behind.  Color is great, clarity is fantastic, it is bright, it is reliable, and it doesn't shift POI under considerable recoil.

Not sure of mounting length (my 45/70 is in Mississippi right now), sorry.  But here's a pic to help.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 18:21
I just updated the original post on this thread with the following:

Edited:
Here are the suggestions so far:

Binoculars: Kowa Genesis 8x33 vs Meopta Meostar 8x32 vs Leica Ultravid HD 8x32

Binoculars: Minox HG 8.5x42 vs Meopta Meostar 8x42

"Traditional" hunting scopes: IOR Hunting 4x32 vs Zeiss Conquest 4x32

Midrange tactical scopes that do not break the bank.  This is a topic that is certainly of interest to me, but it is a bit ambiguous.  I need to think of what the contender here are.  What do we consider a "does not break the bank" threshold? $400, $600, $800, $1000?  Then, how do we define a "tactical scope"? presence of tall knobs and a ranging reticle? FFP or SFP (or no difference)?  I am looking for some feedback here. 

Scopes: Sightron S3 vs Bushnell Elite 4200 vs Bushnell Elite 6500 vs Nikon Monarch.  A look at the high magnificaiton versions of these scopes would be an interesting exercise.  I have looked at all four in some detail, but never all four side by side.

Some of these I can probably address based on earlier experience, but not all.

Any other suggestions? 

I am somewhat intrigued with the "affordable variable tactical" comparison, so I would appreciate some suggestions on what is considered tactical AND affordable.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 18:27

Swaro American please....... 3-9X36 or 3-9X42.  something in that range.

take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 18:38
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Swaro American please....... 3-9X36 or 3-9X42.  something in that range.

The problem with Swaro American is that it is a fairly well known quantity.  A lot of people have these scopes.  Also, what would be a suitable comparison for Swaro American?

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 18:49
well for me, The Kahles CL. 
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic