OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Older Zeiss Victory FL Binoculars

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older Zeiss Victory FL Binoculars
    Posted: January/30/2009 at 18:30
Who knows what year the  first Zeiss Victory FLs were produced ?  I understand there have been a couple of updates. When were the updates made.  I understand that the first generation were heavier  than the latest version. Also when did the changeover to the Lototec coating occur? Thanks for the help.
abailey54
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 19:43
I believe the FLs were first introduced in either late 2003 or early 2004.

To my knowledge there are three "versions" of the FLs. The first upgrade improved the rubber armor and the eyecup design slightly. The second upgrade further improved the eyecup design and added the Lotutec coating. The Lotutec upgrade was some time within the last 1.5-2 years.

I am not aware of any other changes in the binoculars designs or dimensions....at least not any that are public knowledge.

You should be able to email Zeiss with the serial number and they should be able to tell you when the binocular was manufactured.
Frank
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 01:31
AFAIK the LotuTec coating was introduced with last year's model's and there are no changes for 2009 unless you count the Victory RF models (maybe 2008?).  I just wanted to mention that all FL models have a 16mm eye relief which to me is marginal for use with eye glasses.  I have an 8x32 FL and I find that I have to press the eyepieces against my eye glasses to get a complete sight picture.  I compromised with this because at the time they were the brightest mid-size binocular to my eyes.

Edited by timber - January/31/2009 at 01:39
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 06:47
abailey54: there were no changes in size and weight. As Frank mentioned, the changes were in eyecup and ocular guard design, as well as addition of Lotutec.
timber: they still are the brightest.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 01:12
Good to hear that.  I wish they'd add 4mm or 5mm to the 16mm eye relief to make it easier for us guys who wear prescription eyeglasses.  I see where Nikon's EDG 7x42 has 21mm of eye relief.  Why can't Zeiss do that?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 06:32
Originally posted by timber timber wrote:

Good to hear that.  I wish they'd add 4mm or 5mm to the 16mm eye relief to make it easier for us guys who wear prescription eyeglasses.  I see where Nikon's EDG 7x42 has 21mm of eye relief.  Why can't Zeiss do that?

Zeiss did that. Their 7x42 FL, has plenty of eye relief for use with eyeglasses. I've tried.
In addition, it is a wonderful binocular with wide field of view.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 18:03
Ahh, I forgot that their website lists all of their FL binoculars as having 16 mm of eye relief. This is not true in my experience. The 7x42 most certainly has more eye relief than the 8x32 and yet they are listed as the same.

?
Frank
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 23:52
So the 7x42FL does have more than 16mm eye relief?  
abailey54 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abailey54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 10:41
Thanks guys for all the info. I decided to purchase a new pair of FLs. Good luck to all.

Take Care
abailey54
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:18
Timber,

Yes. Though I have not measured it I would easily put it in the 18-19 mm range. If you wear glasses you will not have any problem seeing the full field of view with the 7x42 FL.
Frank
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 00:00
FrankD.  I had a 7x42FL for a brief period of time (maybe in 2007?) but traded it for something smaller.  It was a brillant piece of optics but I don't remember it having better eye relief.  I hope I am wrong.  Do you own a pair now?  I'm willing to deal with the larger size if I can use them with prescrition eye glasses.

EDIT: Nevermind.  I realize you own 7x42FL's from your answer.  Thanks.  I'll check them out.

Edited by timber - February/07/2009 at 12:35
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 20:26
Timber,

Actually, I don't have any in my possession for the time being. I have owned several pairs and I never felt eye relief was short on any of them. It is definitely longer with the 7x42s than it is with the 8x32s, again, in my experience.
Frank
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 02:01
Hey FrankD.  Do you wear prescription glasses?  Do you recall having to press the eyepieces against your eyeglasses with either the 8x32FL or 7x42FL to get a full sight picture?  I'm trying to get a sense of why you recognized the 7x42's as having more eye relief.  Was it something that you realized immediately?  Thanks again.
Blueboy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blueboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 19:31
I have a new pair of Zeiss FL 7x42 and I wear glasses, I have no trouble at all.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2009 at 00:23
I was surprised to see the price on SWFA for the 7x42FL's at $2,199.95.  The 8x32FL's were $2,149.95.  I got my 8x32FL's from SWFA for approximately $1,600 maybe a year and 1/2 ago.  When did they go up in price?  This seems rich especially in this economy.  I guess it's the Dollar fall against the Euro?  Still, it's too high.
Spitzer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spitzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2009 at 11:31
 I wear glasses and have a pair of Zeiss 8x42 T*FL's with no eye relief problems at all. Seems to have plenty room.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2009 at 14:13
Thanks Spitzer and FrankD.  I'll have to give the 7x42FL a better look.  I know I'm having to push on my eyeglass frames with the 8x32FL.  I thought I was doing it with the 7x42FL but I didn't have them long and may be remembering wrong.
timber View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2009 at 18:04
Saw this today:

$100 CASH BACK on Victory FL Binoculars

This spring, receive $100 CASH BACK on Victory FL Binoculars when purchased between 3/1/09 - 5/31/09.

$100 Cash Back

All Victory FL binoculars share one thing in common: they maximize your experience in the field. An array of groundbreaking optical engineering touchstones set Victory FL binoculars apart by producing the brightest, sharpest, most vivid images.

Offer valid on new ZEISS Victory FL binocular purchases made 3/1/09 through 5/31/09. All redemption coupons must be postmarked by 6/15/09. Carl Zeiss is not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged or misdirected mail. No illegible, late or incomplete entries will be accepted. Allow 4 weeks for check delivery. Offer good in the USA only. Offer void where prohibited, taxed or restricted by law. This offer is valid for consumer purchases only. Excludes items won or purchased at fundraising banquets or similar events. Invalid requests will be rejected and will not be returned. No rain checks.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic