OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4200 vs Euro 30 vs VX-3?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedtf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4200 vs Euro 30 vs VX-3?
    Posted: January/30/2009 at 08:06
I am looking for a new scope for my 30-06 and am torn between the three scopes above.  I own a bushnell 4200 in 3-9x40 on my 270 win and think its a great scope.  I have a VX-III on my 243 and love it as well.  i am not familiar with the Leupold European 30 models, but like the 30mm tube for brightness.  Any advice?
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 08:07
I think the 4200 will be the best scope for your money.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 08:08
30mm tube doesnt have anything to do with brightness
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 08:16
The ...........ummmm............Leupold Euro scope is just a VX-II masquerading as an expensive scope..........RUN!!!!        Get a VX-III!!!!    Bucky
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 08:39
Depending on your application, the 1 inch scopes looks rather lightweight after using the 30mm for a while. Note I said "looks" which does not mean it is.
So if you need a scope on a quick pointing, easy carrying rifle, the 1 inch is the way to go.
If you are spending time on the range or shooting bench, a 30mm scope looks cool and would be my preference.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 09:23
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

I think the 4200 will be the best scope for your money.

Excellent
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 11:35
4200 and the new VX3, not the VX-III, are both worth the money. Decide which on you like more and run with it don't look back. The Euro Scope IMO is not. The 30mm tube does not make the scope any brighter than the 1" tube fyi.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 19:19
What Chris and others have stated about brightness is quite true. The myth of 30mm-tubed scopes being brighter started with an advertising campaign by one of the European scope companies when they started selling in the U.S. It was so effective that a lot of people still believe it--despite proof to the contrary.

Both the Bushnell 4200 and Leupold VX-3 are very good scopes, and quite tough. The Leupold will have slightly more eye relief, the Bushnell slightly more field of view. The Leupold is a ligttle lighter in weight, but not all that much.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 20:45
Curious as to how you got to those 3?  There are some others in that range that I would consider...... mostly the Zeiss Conquest and the Sightron Big Sky (depending on which model).  I have a Conquest 3-9X40 and a 4200 3-9X40 and I like the Conquest better.  I'll probably be getting another Conquest probably won't get another 4200.
take em!
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2009 at 09:23
Leupold 30 is a waste of money total scam bought it on the internet when I got it looked through the scope and it was as bright as my VXII.The 4200 is a good scope Bushnell 3200 had made a 30mm 3-9x50 which I own and like so consider other brands as well.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic