OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Weather Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Frozen in time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 06:54
  Just heard on the radio that some people in W.Ky. may be without power for a month.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 07:07
Man, that truly sucks, an entire month???

Its biting cold here too this morn. below zero with the windchill.

There was a story on local news couple evenings ago where they found a 90yr old man
frozen to death in his own home because the power company had cut power.  They also found a pile of cash on kitchen table to pay the bill but the old guy had no transportation since city buses weren't running for 2 days.

I hope he was a relative of one of the Power Co. executives.

Man that just ain't right!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 07:13
  Heard about that to Bud,but where the H**L were his family,friends,and/or neighbors! We take care of our own around here.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 07:32
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Heard about that to Bud,but where the H**L were his family,friends,and/or neighbors! We take care of our own around here.

Poor guy was probably a throw away.  Americans are the most wasteful people on earth!
Unfortunately, for the lower income that often means abandoning their old.  I hope this wasn't the case.  Sometimes its just that they outlive there own family and friends...(90).
I Look in local paper and everyday I see multiple listings for estate sales or auctions alot of which are all possessions and house/land, executor are court appointed.  This means one of two things... either there was no will or there was nobody to leave everything to.
Sad isn't it!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 15:01
Wife called me about an hour ago; We have power!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 15:25
  Another job well done by the tree monkeys!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 15:54
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Another job well done by the tree monkeys!

tree monkeys???

we always called them the pole monkeys
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 15:55
I am glad you got power back BF!!

Stay warm.
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 14:14
Things aren't quite normal yet. My driveway is still a mess (wait that is normal). We had to toss a freezer full of food and a refrigerator full so we're still eating out (I hate fast food), and the house isn't up to temperature yet (radiant floor heat in a concrete slab). I did get to take a shower in my own shower today, and my big dog is so happy things are getting back to normal. Now it's time to start preparing for the next time.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 15:32
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Things aren't quite normal yet. My driveway is still a mess (wait that is normal). We had to toss a freezer full of food and a refrigerator full so we're still eating out (I hate fast food), and the house isn't up to temperature yet (radiant floor heat in a concrete slab). I did get to take a shower in my own shower today, and my big dog is so happy things are getting back to normal. Now it's time to start preparing for the next time.

Man thats too bad about losing all thst stuff in frig and freezer.  Surprised you didn't try and put them outside.  When I lost power, about day 3, I cleared a space out on my deck then drug the freezer and frig outside, propped open the doors.  Next morning everything inside was frozen again so closed the doors and reopened them every so often.  Saved almost everything that way.

Glad the worst is over!!!  Stay warm!
--Thomas Jefferson

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 15:42
Yes...I have put stuff outside also to keep it frozen.....just have to make sure that some varmint doesn't try to get it!!   Shocked
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 22:52
The 16000 watt stand by generator for $3350 starts looking very cheap. We have had 3 of these ice storms in the past 2 years. Wagoner a town just east about 10 miles was without electricty for 6 weeks last year. We got ours back in 5 days that time.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic