OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > The Weather Report
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Frozen in time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Frozen in time
    Posted: January/29/2009 at 17:04
OK time for the weather Pics

Deer on a Icy Morning.

Damaged trees from Mondays storm. This is Hwy 69 (a major truck route) Just north of Muskogee. It took 20 minutes trying to free a yard sign from the frozen yard when after getting to Muskogee. Needed a pick.

Edited by 3_tens - January/29/2009 at 17:07
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 20:19
Those ice storms are impressive!  Very rare that you see an ice storm like that up here.  I am pretty sure I would not want to be out on that road with other drivers.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 20:28
We have had 2-3 a year the past 4 years. This was a light one. This same area was without electricity for 6 weeks 3 years ago. This is why the trees stay so short here.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 10:24
You have to love ice storms like that. It's great when the power goes out..........and it's cold...........and you don't know when power is going to come back on. Almost had to bring my barbecue grill in to the kitchen one night last year. We were the lucky ones though. My house was built in 2004, so it's pretty well insulated. A lady warming up at the grocery store (they still had power) told me it was 39 degrees in her house. It only got to about 58 in mine. Impressive pictures.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 13:39
  We've had 4 ice storms this year here in WV. The last was on top of 3" of snow. I worked power line right-of-way maintainence for 15+ years and can tell ya it's not fun trying to get the power up and running after one of those storms. Pretty yes,but down right dangerous.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 15:24
Great pics, Lile. The thread title was a good one, too.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 16:08
Cool pics! Thanks.

We also get a few ice storms here in the Carolinas, from time to time. Last bad one was about 5 years ago and me and The Warden went without power for 5 days. We kept warm by keeping my wifes gas stove going in the kitchen with the oven door open.
(Old Indian trick.) Wink  
Some poor souls were without power for weeks that year.

Glad I got a wood stove....just in case!! Light It Up

It's amazing and quite scary how dependent some people are to electricity. Myself included.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 06:40
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Cool pics! Thanks.

We also get a few ice storms here in the Carolinas, from time to time. Last bad one was about 5 years ago and me and The Warden went without power for 5 days. We kept warm by keeping my wifes gas stove going in the kitchen with the oven door open.
(Old Indian trick.) Wink  
Some poor souls were without power for weeks that year.

Glad I got a wood stove....just in case!! Light It Up

It's amazing and quite scary how dependent some people are to electricity. Myself included.

You definitely have that right Cheaptrick!  a couple of years ago due to a bad storm we lost power for about 5 days.  If it weren't for a small kerosene heater we would have been in a bad way.  About 2 days after the power was restored I ran out of Propane.  I had a rented 250 gal tank in the back yard that nobody could get to.  My furnace is a propane fired forced hot air unit.  Now I own a 1000 gal propane tank I buried in the side yard thats much easier to get to.  Full tank will last all season so it doesn't matter when it counts.  That and a generator down in the pole barn that I can use to back power the house in emergencies and run the well, septic, furnance and frig so I am good to go.  The only problem now is keeping a supply of gasoline in the pole barn my son doesn't try to use! ANd making it the 100yds to the pole barn!  LOL
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2009 at 06:51
  Hey guys,PLEASE remember to connect your generators so they don't feed back to the transformer on the pole! 
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 11:24
Freeze THIS!!!    Sword
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 11:26
I'm with you Mark.  Also have a good airtight stove handy and a 6500W Yamaha generator just in case.

Right on 300S&W - should have a proper transfer switch.
God save the Empire!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 11:44
All this cold stuff is coming from CANADA (and Alaska, but I know why Sarah Palin is mad)...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 12:24
I love snow, sleet is ok, I HATE ice storms!!!!! I'm on day 8 without power, not to mention all the other problems it has caused.
Our utility co. has always been good in the past about getting the power back on after storms. Even after the hurricane came through it only took them 2 days to get the power on so I didn't think it would be that bad with this ice storm. Man was I wrong! I don't plan on being this unprepared next time. I see a 15kw generator and woodburning stove in my future. 
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 12:54
  I feel for ya BF. We used to get ALOT of damaging ice storms. I've worked getting r/w's cleared and lines back up alot and can tell ya it's slow,dangerous work. The tension these trees are under when bowed over with the weight of that much ice is unbelievable. One touch of a powersaw on those limbs and you better be ready for anything.
  Your wise in getting prepared for another one. Just make sure your generator is installed so as not to feed electric back to the transformer on the pole. REAL scary to see a powerline glowing under the ice/snow when the power's supposed to be out!
  Meanwhile,GOOD LUCK and my thoughts and prayers are with y'all.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 14:32
I'd like to hardwire the generator to my house through my shed with a cutoff switch so I'm not sending power to the grid.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 15:40
   I borrowed a generator once when our power was out. All I did was pull my main breaker and hook up the to house wiring side of the main breaker contacts. There are commercial set-ups especially made for this now.

Edited by 300S&W - February/04/2009 at 15:41
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 17:06

Transfer switches cost a fortune and usually require professional installation.  An auto transfer switch is even worse!!! usually costing more than the generator.

Since my pole barn breaker panel is a sub-panel fed off of the main house panel, all I do is turn off the main breaker in the house to isolate everything from the power grid.  I added a small indicator lamp to the grid side of main breaker to let me know when the grid is hot again.  The all I have to do is kill the gen and turn on the main again.  Can't get any cheaper than that!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 17:50
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Transfer switches cost a fortune and usually require professional installation.  An auto transfer switch is even worse!!! usually costing more than the generator.

Since my pole barn breaker panel is a sub-panel fed off of the main house panel, all I do is turn off the main breaker in the house to isolate everything from the power grid.  I added a small indicator lamp to the grid side of main breaker to let me know when the grid is hot again.  The all I have to do is kill the gen and turn on the main again.  Can't get any cheaper than that!

This is what I had in mind.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 18:01
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

This is what I had in mind.

It works like a charm!  I have a 5500W gen that handles surges to 6250W.  This means I usually keep my electric water heater OFF while cooking (electric stove) or charging the well holding tank.  Electric baseboard heat would be a killer, would need a 20kW gen or bigger to support.
--Thomas Jefferson

scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 06:10
-12 this morning...... where's the global warming when you need it? Bandito
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic