OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Nikon monarch 4x12 and 4x16 side focus AO scopes?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon monarch 4x12 and 4x16 side focus AO scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsbery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon monarch 4x12 and 4x16 side focus AO scopes?
    Posted: January/29/2009 at 17:00
Hi guys, I have a Remington 700 in 204 cal. that shoots 6 shot groups at a 100yds. you can cover with a dime. When I got the gun it was used but looked new. I put a Leupold VXI 4x12x40 on it at the time. I enjoy this gun very much and have decided to upgrade the scope to a AO. I have been looking at the Nikon's on the sample list in the 4x12 and 4x16 side focus AO that say they have been factory refurbished. The price of these scopes have me tempted. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I have never owned a Nikon and I hear good things about them. My original thought was to get a Bushnell 4200 or another Leupold in a VXII with adjustable objectives. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
kingsbery
Heavishot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heavishot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 18:10
I have a Rem 700 in .204 that shoots pretty good but not 6 shots under a dime good!Shocked  I've had good experience with Nikon but have a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 on my .204.  It's pretty good and i'd imagine that a 4200 would be really sweet.
johndaldrich View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johndaldrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 11:14
i have a nikon on a 243. it works very well. i have never had any problems with it. they seem to be a great scope for the money. i have the monarch it is very clear. would not be scared to buy another one
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 11:49
Had the 4-16x Monarch with BDC reticle. Really good scope. I'd recommend it.

Heres a review I did on it. Hope it helps.
McKinneyMike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKinneyMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2009 at 12:37
I recently mounted the Nikon 4-16X50SF Monarch on my Stevens 200 25-06 w/ Shilen 26" varmint barrel.  I have not a lot of experience with it yet, but so far extremely pleased with clarity and operation.  Limited adjustment of elevation, but it works AOK for my application with this rifle. 

It is more about where you put the bullet and less about the size of the exit hole IMO
Kent E View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kent E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2009 at 21:12
I just bought a Nikon 4-12 BDC and, I too, like it very much.
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2009 at 22:57
I have a Rem 700 SPS 204 I mounted a Bushnell Elite 4200 6x24x40. I have a nikon 6x18x40 BDC SF also a good scope. To my eye the Bushnell wins, but you know either one that you pick will serve you well.......
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
kingsbery View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsbery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 06:54
 Hi, I Thank everyone for their input. I have been researching some of the other forms and talking to some local shooters along with the shop who accurized my rifle. They all think the Nikon is a good buy but most lean towards the 4200. So I guess the 4200 is the way I will probable go.   Thanks again Kingsbery!!
kingsbery
McKinneyMike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McKinneyMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 18:26
Great choice.  Either is a fine piece of equipment.  
It is more about where you put the bullet and less about the size of the exit hole IMO
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 20:48
GOOD PICK it will serve you well.................
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic