OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Options
    Posted: January/29/2009 at 07:47
I am new to the forum but have spent the last month researching my options.  I purchased a DPMS LR 308 AP4 and trying to decide what scope to mount on it.  The rifle will mainly be used for deer hunting, most shots under a 100 yards with the possibility of longer shots but nothing over 200 yards.  I will not be using the rifle for any long range shooting as the ranges here in Chattanooga are 100 yards max.

My thoughts are a good 2-8 variable scope would be about perfect for this rifle.  I have had very good luck with Nikon scopes in the past and am leaning towards the Nikon Monarch in 2-8 x 32.  My budget is not the limiting factor, but here are my main considerations:

-Want a 1" tube, I already have a one piece scope mount that has 1" rings.

-I don't want a scope over 12" long, I mounted a Nikon Buckmasters 3-9 x 40 on it and it just didn't look right.

I have also looked at the Vortex Viper 2-8 x 32 and the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-10x40 Short Action Compact.

Any body got other options?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 08:09
If never anything over 200 yards, I'd consider the Bushnell 1-4, it will fit your length constraint.  I don't think 4X is too little magnification.  I take shots with a 1-4 out to 300 yards and can do so with ease and relative accuracy.

And in low light, it will still perform very well (and can be had with illuminated reticle for those very early or very late shots.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 08:14
Forgive my ignorance, but which Bushnell?  Semper Fi, I served from 1993 to 2003, YAT YAS.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 09:10
perhaps unless you are looking for ground vehicles while flying an attack aircraft...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 09:40

Kickboxer,

I suppose you were one of those long haired air wingers.

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 09:48

Mouth Taped Shut Me and my big mounth

GreenWolf70 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenWolf70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 12:31
Since you are not looking at any long range use, why not go with a Vortex Strikefire with the 2X doubler.  They are fast in close work, like the thick woods around Chattanooga and 2x is still plenty for 200m shots.  If not the Vortex, then one of the fixed power ACOGS that already have a 1913 rail built in. They will work well in the dim light.

cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2009 at 12:49
Thanks, was looking at them, found a good deal on one with the 2x doubler.  I hunt mostly in south Arkansas as that is where I own land but have some luck on TWRA quota hunts.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic