OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zen Ray 8x43 Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 08:48
ILya, Frank or Steve or anyone,

Would someone PLEASE give some 'specific' comments regarding Eye Relief.

With & without eyeglasses.

GOOD?  MEDIOCRE? BAD?

What sayest thou?

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 09:36
Bird Watcher,

I don't normally wear glasses with binoculars, so I typically am sort of "eye relief neutral".  Without glasses, they are placed about right, the whole image is there without any sort of blackout or kidney bean effects.  When I purposely put on my reading glasses or sunglasses and use them, I can easily see the whole fov.  Overall I can see no issues with the eye relief.  It seems they measured (8x43) at 16mm, but I'll have to dig out the calipers and check.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2009 at 17:41
Steve,

Thanks much, let us know if you find anything other than 16mm with your caliper.

Stan
Pacific Fisher View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacific Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2009 at 16:28
I recently bought a pair of the Zen Ray 8x43 ED's and can say they are amazingly good.
I am actually glad my old pair of binoculars were stolen.
As has been posted the flat field of view with clarity all the way to the edges stands out.
These have to be the best buy going in high quality binoculars today. Excellent

whitneymuse View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitneymuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2010 at 13:25
They're very nice; and after Nikon Monarch's they are quite a bit heavier, too.  Can't have everything; they are definitely proprioceptively "more solid' built like a tank they are.  Have a set of 10X30s on the UPS truck; hope I don't wish for 7X30s since come to realize its steady that makes viewing a peasure; have a holster and can mount it to a monopod if worse comes to intolerable; that's what I finally did with the Swarovski sealed porro (before they went all-roof prism); I'll be the one with the tripod and spotting scope yike.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic