OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Turkey Hunting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkey Hunting
    Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:05

I have never Turkey hunted but have always thought about it. I’m thinking of starting this year. I’m thinking it might be a good starter season for me .What do ya’ll think? There was 24 in this field and 3 big gobblers in the wood line.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:27
 It's some FUN huntin but it can be dangerous.  We had 15+ scratchin' the holler my "schoolbus" blind's in. Not much food out there for them as we had NO mast this year.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:31
Turkey hunting is tremendous fun.  Once you call in a gobbler, watch him dance and strut, you're hooked forever.  I know people who have completely given up deer hunting in order to concentrate on learning about (and expending funds on) turkey hunting.  I am not that dedicated to it,  but it IS a real kick.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:34
I have some friends who Turkey hunt but have never been. I'm kinda pumped about trying it out. I might try to find someone who can call and ge them to show me the ropes to start with and go from there.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:42
 Yea,that's one way to learn. I learned by watching some good videos. It's not really all that hard. I started out with yelps and cackles. Got the gobbler close with yelps. If he hung up I'd cackle. They couldn't resist and would come on in. As for locating them I used a hoot owl or crow call. Really any loud noise will do it. I was working on a tractor out in the field and a gobbler would answer when I would bang a wrench!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:42
You've GOT to try it out.  Gives you more reasons to spend more time in the woods.  Some places have a fall and spring season, but the area I am in is only spring.  If you like action and truly being a "part" of the hunt, you'll like turkey hunting.   Your skill as a caller will generally pretty much determine your success.  Not always, but generally.  It is a whole NEW experience. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:44
Thanks for the info. I have got to grab a few books on it to get an idea of how to start.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 08:50
There are several good videos.  Get a good cedar box call and try to imitate hen sounds (from a video).  Then go experiment.  Remember wild turkeys have superior vision and hearing, key on movement and "unnatural" sounds.  "Mouth calls" are good, but harder to learn.  However, it is easier to use a mouth call and a shotgun at the same time.  Hard to use a box call and a shotgun at the same time...

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 09:01
 Yep,SUPERIOR vision and hearing. If they could smell as good you'd probably never kill one.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 09:22
Dose the feeding patterns of a turkey change like a deer's dose? I know right now I have there pattern down pat. I can tell you when and where they will be and where the roost is.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 09:43
 Yea,they follow the food source and often with the deer. I've found turkeys to be more patternable than deer as long as they're coming to a food source.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 09:48

Thats a good thing to know. I might set up as i normaly would for the deer and see if the turkeys stay on the same trails/fields. This should be a  good start for me. I don't think anyone has turkey hunnted there ever I know not in the last 10 years anyways.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2009 at 22:38
BD, in my backyard today...

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 09:28
I'm going turkey hunting here in AZ on May 1st.  This is going to be my first experience hunting turkey.  I'm going to have to go pattern some 3 in shells in 12 gauge soon.  I can't remember what I was suggested as far as shot size.  Anyone know what is acceptable.  4,5,6?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 09:32
 I like #4's.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 09:38
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

BD, in my backyard today...

very nice!!! we need to hook up and shoot one or 2 of them in the pecker.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 10:27
March-April. 

Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 10:29
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I like #4's.

Ditto

Although a 125 grain Snuffer 3 blade broadhead worked very well last year.

Edited by Dogger - February/06/2009 at 10:31
God save the Empire!
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 10:39
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

March-April. 

What would be the best? I'm up for anytime. Its will be a first for me so you call it.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2009 at 21:20
We'll work on it...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic