OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

compaired to a super sniper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdsii64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: compaired to a super sniper
    Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:01
What variable powered scope is comparable in quality to a super sniper? I have been looking for a good scope in the super sniper price range for a while now. My problem is this, the super sniper is the best scope that I can afford to pay for. the repeatability and accuracy is insane. the glass isn't the best but its way better that what you would expect in its price range. My problem is that its a fixed power scope. What I am looking for is a variable powered scope that that tracks as well as a super sniper and is as rugged as one too.

Finally if no such scope can be found in the that price range, would you give up variable power flexibility.
.308 Howa 1500. 24" heavy varmint barrel
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:04
Hmmm... you haven't told us what you intend to DO with it.  YOUR intended use will be the determining factor.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rdsii64 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdsii64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:10
I guess that would be an important part of the puzzle. for the most part I am going to shoot steel plates from as far away as my skills will allow. Over time I hope this will take me to 1000 yards.  From time to time I would also like to do some long range coyote hunting. For coyote hunting purposes, I will define long range as anything past 400 yards. 
kmad61 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmad61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:12
Optically I would compare the SS to a Leupold varix ll
Federal Firearms Dealer
rdsii64 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdsii64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:14
Originally posted by kmad61 kmad61 wrote:

How would you compare how well they track?
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:39
At those ranges, I'd stay with the SS. 10X  I don't think your going to find anything in that price range that can hang with it's durability and repeatability.
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:42
The super sniper is the way to go it is better than a vxii
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 21:12
Originally posted by rdsii64 rdsii64 wrote:

I guess that would be an important part of the puzzle. for the most part I am going to shoot steel plates from as far away as my skills will allow. Over time I hope this will take me to 1000 yards.  From time to time I would also like to do some long range coyote hunting. For coyote hunting purposes, I will define long range as anything past 400 yards. 

The Super Sniper should be an excellent choice for those purposes.  Understand that a fixed 10x has about 13 foot FOV at 100yds. You will have very good, fast acquisition at long range, but it is difficult to acquire a moving target at shorter ranges with 10x.  As long as you are aware and practice, that can be overcome, to a great extent, but it is always an issue.  Inside 50yds it will be pretty tough to acquire a fast moving coyote.  Not impossible, but tough.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 21:52
Originally posted by kmad61 kmad61 wrote:

Uh no. The SS is all around better. Including optically.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 22:03
It isn't the best scope for the purpose of close hunting a moving target. I would look for a scope that is in a lower variable.
Now for the good news, Here is s cope that can work for doing the coyote and some other uses.

If you can stand to wait for a tad longer and save up a smidgen more.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic