OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Your choice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your choice
    Posted: January/25/2009 at 17:45
Well after a few days its come done to 3 scopes. A leupold 2.5-8X36, a 4200 3-9X 40,and a sightron s2big sky 3-9X42. come on boys tell what you'd pick and why. Found them all to be within $30 of each other so dont use price to compare
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 17:54
All three are good scopes.

As an allround package, my vote goes for S2 Big Sky on the strnegth of its optical quality, knobs, adjustment range and eye relief.

ILya
Muddy Buck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 18:09
Thanks Ok thats one for the sightron anyone else?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 18:16
I am not familiar with the Sightron, but know the other two.  Based upon the fact that Koshkin HAS 1st hand knowledge of all three, I would say... go with what The Dark Lord recommends.  To do otherwise might be hazardous (or at least leave you with a less than desireable optic).  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:01
You can't really go wrong with any of the three.  It all comes down to what is more important to you.

I think Sightron is the best allround choice, but if you wat something as light as possible, Leupy is a bit more compact, for example.

ILya
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:41
I was disappointed with a SII 1.5-6 I previously had ..Eye relief didn't come close to factory specs, and low light performance left allot to be desired ..left me sour on Sightron
Admittedly - I have not peeked through the Big Sky version yet

I'd go with the 4200 Elite ( has  Rainguard also)

Hopefully Mr Koshkin will see kindly to spare me
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:31
Originally posted by martin3175 martin3175 wrote:

I was disappointed with a SII 1.5-6 I previously had ..Eye relief didn't come close to factory specs, and low light performance left allot to be desired ..left me sour on Sightron
Admittedly - I have not peeked through the Big Sky version yet

I'd go with the 4200 Elite ( has  Rainguard also)

Hopefully Mr Koshkin will see kindly to spare me

Fair enough, I will spare you Behead, maybe.

I will add though, that S2 Big Sky has Climate Control coatings (Sightron's version of Rainguard).

ILya
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:36
I would say it depends on what it's going on.  The Leupold 2.5-8X36 is perfect for my Kimber 84.  If size doesn't matter I'd go with the S2.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 21:09
it's a toss up for me between the 4200 and Big Sky.  If forced to choose, I'd go with the Big Sky!
take em!
BayouBuck View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayouBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 09:23
I agree with mwyates, it really depends on the gun. I love the 2.5-8x36 on my BLR but I also like the 4200's rain guard on my Pro Hunter. I have not had a lot of experience with the Sightron but after reading all the good reviews from this sight and looking through both the 4200 and the big sky I like the bushnell.  
We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.” Abraham Lincoln
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 09:47

All are very nice, though I've not looked through a Big Sky yet I had a SII that I liked.  For me this would probably come down to personal preference, there are no losers in this group.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:40
 Gonna vote for Sightron. Got an SII I really like.
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:50

As someone else mentioned, it depends on what its going on and how you`re using it. I don`t see a problem in owning either.

I personally prefer the looks, size, magnification and weight of the 2.5-8x36 VX3, but like the Rainguard of the 4200 and hear nothing but good reports about the Big Sky.......  Head Banger

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic