OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.300wm scope suggestions?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .300wm scope suggestions?
    Posted: January/25/2009 at 11:47
Just ended up getting a ruger m77 hawkeye LH in .300wm Im looking for a scope under or around $500.00. I would like something with mil-dot and target turrets. The gun will be used for deer/elk and paper punching. Im not really sure what to buy I have been looking at Leupold mark 2 in 4-12 power w mil-dot, and  the bushnell 4200 4-16 power w mil-dot.

Is their any other scopes out their comparable to theese in price and quality? I was looking at swaro Ballistic turrets. Can u you use thoose on either one of theese scopes?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 11:57
Get the 4200. It's a bit better than the Leupold you listed. I also doubt the turrets would work on either of these scopes. Then there's this. It isn't mildot but a good reticle for holdover.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 15:30
I would go with the Bushnell 4-16.  Then if you want ballistic calibrated turrets, go to this website and order a custom set for your gun and load.

http://www.kentonindustries.com

I have these on my Black Diamond on my 300 WM.  Calibrated for my 180 gr load out to 1000 yards.  Has worked perfectly so far.  I highly recommend them.

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
slickest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:01
thanks guys. was leaning towards the bushie but wasnt sure.
slickest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:15

thanks for the info on thoose turrets helo. you can really get specific with what you want. on .300wm do you have your zero at 100yds or farther. Also does barometric pressure, avg temp, and altitude really have a big difference when ordering thoose turrets?

This gun is normally going to be used in minnesota and all year round so i dont know what to really specify for the avg temp

Also will i need a raised base on my gun if I plan on shooting out to a 1000yds?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:33
Originally posted by slickest slickest wrote:

thanks for the info on thoose turrets helo. you can really get specific with what you want. on .300wm do you have your zero at 100yds or farther. Also does barometric pressure, avg temp, and altitude really have a big difference when ordering thoose turrets?

This gun is normally going to be used in minnesota and all year round so i dont know what to really specify for the avg temp

Also will i need a raised base on my gun if I plan on shooting out to a 1000yds?

Those variables will make a big difference at 1000 yards.  Depending on what variable or combination, it can make a difference of almost 20 in at that range.  At average hunting ranges, it won't matter that much.

My setup is a Ruger M77 (old) with a Burris Black Diamond 4-16x50 Target Turrets.  It is zeroed at 100 yards, and I have enough adjustment I can make it to 1000yds (actually further) with my turrets.  I don't know if you could do that with the 4200.  You could zero at 200 and see if it would make it. 

Do you need to shoot to 1000 yards with it?  What is you average shooting distance?  I would think that you could get to 800 yards easy enough.  You could call Kenton Industries and talk to him.  He is a really nice guy and will run the numbers for you on that particular scope and tell you if you can make 1000.  Just a suggestion.

If you can't make it, it would be easy enough to put a 20 MOA base on, and that would get you there.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:39
Here are a few averages for you.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/faq/mnfacts/climate.html

GEORGE WASHINGTON
slickest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:50
thanks for the help helo. its appreicated.
slickest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 19:58
would you go with the 2.5-10 or the 4-16 power?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 20:23
How far do you want to shoot with this setup?  How far for paper primarily?  What is your typical hunting ranges, and type of terrain?  This will help you decide I think.  If you hunt a lot in the trees, 4x may be too high on the low end.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
slickest View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slickest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 07:26
a 1000yds at paper would be nice but I dont see that happening all the time. maybe 600-800 as far as the paper goes. Most of my hunting in minnesota is for whitetail and shooting some occasion coyotes. Where im at we are not completely in the sticks with alot of open field around us. Typical deer sightings going from 50yds out to 300-400yds. do I really need all the way up to 16x for paper punching?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 10:43
That will depend on your eyes. If you want to see holes for aiming points on paper then higher power will certainly help. The problem is that not all scopes are going to deliver the goods for both situations. If you plan to hunt more than target shoot, the reticle will be more important for low light. The reticle will not be good for target shooting. If you want to primarily target shoot then the best reticle won't be very good for hunting in low light. You have to decide what it will be most important for use, and pick a reticle and power that will be in the best configuration for that use.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 11:08
 I used a Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 AO for EVERYTHING on my .300 for years. Never wanted for more power and only a few times wished for less. These new 2/2.5-10's should be FINE. And cyborg's right on with reticle choice! I got Leupolds Hvy Plex in my VX III 1.75-6x32 and LUV it for hunting but it's definitely not for punching paper.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 11:34
i still have a varix-IIc 3x9x40 on my 300win mag, some day i wanna replace it. if you want to shoot 1000yds you will want obviously more than a 3x9 will offer.the 4200 has better glass than the mark2 does, i think you would like the 4200, i like mine.

Edited by pyro6999 - January/26/2009 at 11:35
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Cocked & Locked View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cocked & Locked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 11:41
I've had a Burris Fullfield 3.5-10x50 on my .300 Win Mag Remington 700 for several years...works fine for me.  Yippee

C&L
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 11:43
700dm huh, nice rifle!
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 13:32
During the rut you can use the magazine box to rattle in some nice bucks with those DBM's..................<g>
Cocked & Locked View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cocked & Locked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 13:42
Quote During the rut you can use the magazine box to rattle in some nice bucks with those DBM's....

I'll have to try that.  Big Grin

C&L
bulldog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 20:20
Slickest,
Let me know how that ruger shoots.  If you reload and are looking for brass, i have 5 boxes of brand new RWS $20/box.  They normally go for $30/box.  I would go with the Leupold based on past experiences.
The only good day was yesterday!
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 21:01
Well, I really like having the versatility of the 4-16.  Most of the time, even in the woods, 4x is fine.  I like the 16 for the long range stuff.  Especially past 600 yards.  I think the Bushnell 4200 4-16 would be a good choice for what you do.  Or look for a 3-12.  That is a mag range I really like as well.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic