OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Sightron

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sightron
    Posted: January/24/2009 at 10:15
What upgrades are there between the regular s2 and the s2 big sky?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 23:33
I'm sure if you do a search, you will find some info regarding that.  It seems I remember that the glass is better.
take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 01:51
S2 Big Sky has a completely different optical system.  There is really little in common other than the name.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 09:03
ILya, Muddy Buck might want to know if that's a good thing or not...... or put another way, is that an improvement and how so?  I'm guessing he it trying to justify the higher price tag or just wondering how its better.  I could be wrong too.
take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 12:08
My bad.

Sightron S2 Big SKy is a better scope than the S2 in every way I can think of and, in my opinion, is worth the price difference

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 12:55
ILya, how would you compare the Big Sky and 4200?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 13:10
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

ILya, how would you compare the Big Sky and 4200?

Optically, they are very close.  In some configurations Big Sky is a bit better, in others they are about equal and in a couple 4200 has an edge.

As an allround scope, I think S2 Big Sky is a better package: longer and more flexible eyerelief, easily resettable knob and notably larger adjustment range.

There was an initial reliability glitch with the 4-16x42 S2 Big Sky, but that seems to have been resolved, so now I do not doubt they sturdiness.

To me, Elite 4200 and S2 Big Sky line-ups have the same weakness: not enough variety of reticles.  S2 Big Sky line-up is very extensive.  In my opinion, unnecessarily so.  I wish they would cull a few models and insted added a few more reticle options.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 13:18
How does the current S2 Big Sky and S3 compare?  The Sightron lines confuse me.  Maybe it's because of the way their website is laid out.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 13:53
S3 is comprised of bigger, heavier and more expensive scopes with 30mm tubes.  Optically, I think these are the best Japanese made scopes I have seen.  They have an edge over S2 Big Sky in that regard.  Aside from that, the same positives I mention for S2 Big Sky above, apply to S3: solid eye relief and large adjustment range.

S3 line-up is less overcrowded than S2 Big Sky and the configurations make more sense.  Overall, these scopes seem to be aimed a bit more at tactical and target shooters (except for the 2.5-10x56 which is clearly a low light hunting scope).

ILya
Muddy Buck View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muddy Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 16:02
Thanks for the info guys I took the weekend to do some research and I found a 2.5-8x36 vxIII leupold, a 3-9X40 4200, and a sightron 3-9X42 s2 Big sky all for around $300 the leupold is on sale at a local national sporting goods store the 4200@ $289 and the big sky for 350 on the web with a $50 factory rebate so those are the choices whats  your pick and why?
hunter12345 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2009 at 15:19
Sightron S2 Big Sky is my pick.Reason is clarity and brightness with the best warranty in the business.The Bushnell 4200 is good, better than the Leupold but the Big Sky has the better optics and would compare them with the higher end Euro scopes.     
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic