OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

conquest 3-9 x40 z-plex. better lowlight perf?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conquest 3-9 x40 z-plex. better lowlight perf?
    Posted: January/24/2009 at 04:26
Ok. I have been lurking for years. I get lots of good info. I am now in the market for a scope in the 3-9 range, maybe up to 12x to put on my new Savage 14 Classic in 270 WSM. I have a Conquest 3-9 x40 on my Tikka T3 300wsm and have had good luck with it, but last year with about 2=3 minutes of legal hunting time left I missed an opportunity at a massive south GA buck at only about 70 yards. I could see him clearly in my cheap 10x nikon binocular but could not find him at 6x through the Conquest. It was getting quite dark and we were in a small food plot in the woods and the deer was amoung some scrub oaks looking dead in my direction. Is there any other scope in the same price range up to around $500 that will give me a better chance in low  light that I can mount on my Savage? I have a medium 1-piece DNZ setup on the  Savage.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 09:49
Welcome jladams!

First, was the problem that you couldn't see the reticle well enough to make the shot or the whole view through the scope was too dim?  The Conquest's light transmission is about as good as you'll find for the price.

Most likely the reason you could see the deer through your binoculars and not your scope is simply that binoculars give you the advantage of using both eyes instead of only 1 eye, and the binoculars eyecups shield more light from the side, delivering more light from the optic to your eye.  
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
rifle looney View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rifle looney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 09:54
Its called BUCK FEVER we all get it sooner or later you just never were correctly aligned with the scope to get a clear view and with the fading light just made it worse.....maybe
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 10:55
I think I remember being able to see the reticle. I know I had 2 5mm exit pupils on the binoculars and that is why the image was brighter in the binoculars. I was just hoping there was something better. I really like the Conquest. I was kind of frustrated with that experience though. Had the deer moved into the open I could have see him in the scope no problem.

Thanks,

Jack
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 10:59
i think with any scope in that price range your end results would have been the same.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:00
I was a little rushed, not nervous though. However I could make out the two does flanking him and the outline of the trees he was in the middle of. I just could not see him in the center of the scope. Frustrating.

Jack
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:07
Originally posted by jladams jladams wrote:

I know I had 2 5mm exit pupils on the binoculars and that is why the image was brighter in the binoculars. 

Actually, a 2.5mm exit pupil is very small and would produce a very dim image.  The exit pupil of your 3-9X40 scope at 6X is 6.7mm.  The binocular just had the advantage of stereoscopic vision and larger field of view.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:08
ted, i think he was saying he had two 5mm exit pupils on the binos not 2.5mm which if he was using the 10x50 nikon action binos would be correct.

Edited by pyro6999 - January/24/2009 at 11:11
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:21
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

ted, i think he was saying he had two 5mm exit pupils on the binos not 2.5mm which if he was using the 10x50 nikon action binos would be correct.

Bingo.

Jack
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:22
How much do I need to increase my budget to get noticeably better brightness?

Thanks,

Jack
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:25
which reticule does your conquest have?? z plex i assume??

Edited by pyro6999 - January/24/2009 at 11:28
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:41

which reticule does your conquest have?? z plex i assume??

Yes. Sorry. I should have mentioned it in the body of the post, not just the subject.

Sorry,

Jack
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:43
im not a high end scope expert, by any means, i dont any high end scopes, but if you want a rough number i would say if you could afford $1000 scope you would see some difference, i dont know how much though, maybe the extra $500 wouldnt even be worth it, kahles kx and cl come to mind right now. 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:58

im not a high end scope expert, by any means, i dont any high end scopes, but if you want a rough number i would say if you could afford $1000 scope you would see some difference, i dont know how much though, maybe the extra $500 wouldnt even be worth it, kahles kx and cl come to mind right now. 

I think you are probably right. I am actually considering a Sightron SII Big Sky in 3-9 x42. Do you think that would compare well to the conquest?

Jack

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 13:46
In low light never take the scope off of its lowest power. This gives you your best light transmission. If you were at 6 power you had lost almost 1/2 the light because of too high a power setting. You have as good a scope as you can get for the money. Good luck next year. Welcome to the OT. Remember Low Power.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 14:27
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

In low light never take the scope off of its lowest power. This gives you your best light transmission. If you were at 6 power you had lost almost 1/2 the light because of too high a power setting. You have as good a scope as you can get for the money. Good luck next year. Welcome to the OT. Remember Low Power.

I am not sure I understand this.

Could you elaborate?

ILya
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 15:16
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I am not sure I understand this.

Could you elaborate?

ILya

Neither do I. I thought when you were at roughly a 7mm exit pupil you had all your eye could handle and decreasing the power and thereby increasing the size of the exit pupil made no difference at that point.

I know this. My eye can not tell a difference in brightness in thie 3-9x40 conquest from 3x to 6x on the zoom ring in any light condition. After 6x in dim light it seems that the scope gradually gets dimmer as the power increases.

Jack
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 15:27
jladams, I'm not sure what to think of your post. I have a 40mm and 32mm Conquest and both allow me to see clearly well after legal shooting hours. For my eyes, there's VERY LITTLE if any difference between the 40 and 32 mm.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 16:39
this should work and under $1K:
6234 Kahles 3-10x50 Helia CL Multizero 51723, Matte finish, 1" tube, plex reticle, side focus, fast focus eye piece, Allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, no ring marks, close to new condition. $1,315.00 $749.95

take em!
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 17:11
Originally posted by bricat bricat wrote:

jladams, I'm not sure what to think of your post. I have a 40mm and 32mm Conquest and both allow me to see clearly well after legal shooting hours. For my eyes, there's VERY LITTLE if any difference between the 40 and 32 mm.

I don't have the 32mm conquest to compare too but I would not expect to see much difference between them everything else being equal

Jack
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic