OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Observations on Swarovski 10x42 ELs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Observations on Swarovski 10x42 ELs
    Posted: January/23/2009 at 17:53
A friend of mine brought his brand new EL binos by this morning and obviously the optics are top notch. But compared to the SLC glass in my rangefinder there wasn't much difference...at least to my eyes. What I really noticed about the ELs, however, was the complete lack of eyestrain and the excellent ergonomics. It was obvious you could look through them all day. For some reason, as he was leaving, he declined my gracious offer to store them in my basement gun room. Oh well, given that I'll be relying on the 8x32 monocular in the rangefinder, it was nice to see how the other "half" lives.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 18:22
I could be wrong but I believe the EL's and the SLC's use the same glass.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 22:26
I'd bet the eyestrain has nothing to do with the glass.  I think it has everything to do with the fact that the binocular uses both eyes, hence "binocular effect".  The rangefinder uses  one eye. You see the same thing in that some people get eyestrain and headaches from spotting scopes, again, only using one eye.  Plus more magnification with a spotter.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 07:11
Well-now you know what to ask for whenever a holiday or  your birthday comes up -- Binos
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:34
Originally posted by Klamath Klamath wrote:

I'd bet the eyestrain has nothing to do with the glass.  I think it has everything to do with the fact that the binocular uses both eyes, hence "binocular effect".  The rangefinder uses  one eye. You see the same thing in that some people get eyestrain and headaches from spotting scopes, again, only using one eye.  Plus more magnification with a spotter.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I wasn't comparing the binos to the RF that way, just for the glass. I meant there was no eyestrain like I've experienced with lower quality binos.
I certainly agree that looking through a monocular for a while can become very uncomfortable, especially if the glass is not that good. I was checking out a Leupold 15x45 spotting scope the other day at another friend's house and it really didn't feel that comfortable to look at beyond the top magnification of the 18x36 refurbished Bushnell that I bought for $75. I've found with my RF that prolonged viewing makes vision a little fuzzy for a moment afterwards...but if I leave my other eye open that's not a problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic