OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper 6x32 Binocular

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper 6x32 Binocular
    Posted: January/23/2009 at 14:38
Has anyone been able to check a pair of these out yet?  If so, what is your opinion of them.

I am torn between these and the Viper 8x.  I will use them while bowhunting deer in Michigan but will also use them during the late muzzleloader season when the deer come out late in the day.  I also turkey hunt and will be using them as well during that season.

What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance,

redeyeRobin Hood

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 15:54
"Koshkin" on this forum checked them out at the Shot Show, I believe.  I'm sure he'll chime in soon.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 16:58
 I called Vortex the other day and I think I remember them saying the had some of the 32 Vipers, but would probably not have them to any dealers before next week.  So, it will be some time after that till anyone gets ahold of one, probably.  The new Diamondbacks and Raptors are further out than that, I believe.  The Diamopndbacks were the reason I called Vortex, probably why I don't specifically recall what they said about the Viper.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Redeye171 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 17:10
The 7 x 36 Diamondback might be worth a look too?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 17:26
I have one of those pre-ordered.  Also a Raptor 6.5x32.  Mostly to see how they compare to my Swift Eaglet 7x36 and Fury 6.5x32.  If the Swift still comes out on top, which it likely will, I may take a look at the Viper.  The Swift is just about ideal, but I really could like a bit more fov.  The Fury has that, but doesn't quite have the Swift optics.  The Diamondback preorder was a "just to see" sort of thing.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Redeye171 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 17:31
The size and the weight of the viper 6x seems to fit in with what I would like.  I'll have to wait and see what they look like and how they "see". 

BTW I will be waiting for your review.

Thanks in advance............Redeye

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 01:04
Vortex sent me a pair of 6x32 Vipers for review.  I am still playing with them, but so far, I think these are the best 6x binoculars currently made (or maybe ever made).

ILya
Redeye171 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 16:21
koshkin, I have a hole burning in my pocket for one of those 6x vipers.  Can't wait to read your review...........red
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 16:40
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Vortex sent me a pair of 6x32 Vipers for review.  I am still playing with them, but so far, I think these are the best 6x binoculars currently made (or maybe ever made).

ILya

cool!!   Cool
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2009 at 19:20
Why does the 6x viper have a smaller field of view than the 6.5x fury, 420ft vs 445ft ?
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2009 at 10:03
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Why does the 6x viper have a smaller field of view than the 6.5x fury, 420ft vs 445ft ?

Most likely because they restricted the FOV. That increases contrast by reducing internal reflections and ghost images. 
Redeye171 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 09:04
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 6x viper.  Still working on that review Koshkin?
Redeye171 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redeye171 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 09:06
Anyone else have a pair?
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 09:31
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

Wow, that's high praise, I might have to buy a pair just to be sure I have the best 6x bino ever made.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 09:38
Keep in mind that there are not a whole lot of truly modern binoculars in 6x magnification.  I think I will buy the pair I am playing with from Vortex.  I generally like lower magnification binoculars and these are the best I have seen.

ILya
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 10:21
I emailed Vortex about availability and they responded that the 6x32s have been out for a few weeks.

They aren't listed on SWFA.

Chris, will you be selling these soon?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 13:19
Ilya, how do you find the compare to the Katmai 6X32?  Are they enough better that it's worth upgrading?  Thanks
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 13:26
I think the Vipers are better.

Whether it is worth updating is strictly up to you.

ILya
BillyWayne View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyWayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 14:33

Would you rather have a 6x or 8x for hunting?

John 11:35
The're taking the hobbits to Isengard!!
cajunhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cajunhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2009 at 20:30
I think 6x32 would be perfect for bowhunting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic