OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SHOT SHOW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SHOT SHOW
    Posted: January/23/2009 at 13:07
OK those of you who got to go to the Shot Show - please fill  in the rest of us and tell us about what you saw that you thought was new, cool, unique.  Photos would be good too if you have any. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 13:30
dude check the rifle scopes area out koshkin did a thread about everything he saw there.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=14733

Edited by pyro6999 - January/23/2009 at 13:31
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 18:35
What about all the non-optics stuff?  Anyone see that?  What is new there?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 18:56
On the last day of the show, I walked around and looked at the non-optics stuff a bit.  My gun interests tend to be a little different than those of most people here, so they are probably not too relevant.  Still:

-Alexander Arms will finally have a boltgun chambered for 6.5 Grendel (made by ER Shaw on their version of the Savage action).  They also have a piston upper of some sort.

-Savage has some sort of an aluminum block in their tupperware stocks now, which should make them a bit more consistent.

-I still do not get AR-15 rifles with picatinny rails all over the handguard: how the heck are you supposed to hold onto that without a forearm vertical grip.  I much prefer forearms with a bunch of holes, so that you can attach short mounting rails only where you need them.

-GLock has a special version of G22 with a lot more stipling on the frame and different gripping serrations onthe slide.  Visually, it looks interesting, but it feels like a regular Glock grip wrapped in sandpaper.

-Sig did not have anything especially new, I think, but still the most comfortable handgun grips for my hand.

-I like Taurus revolvers, so I spent some time looking at them.  That Judge revolver looks interesting (if you run out of ammo you can club a polar bear to death with it).

-Rossi revolvers (now made by Taurus) are kinda interesting.  Their medium size frame is a copy of Smith K-frame, I think, which makes it a fair bit more trim than the S&W L-frame I have.

Ruger had a new LCR revolver which I found very interesting: it is about the size of a J-frame with a 1.75" barrell.  Barrel and cylinder are stainless steel, frame is mostly aluminum, but the part that contains the lockword is high impact plasic of some sort.  It weighs 11 ounces and should accept ammo up to 38 Special +P.  Ruger's LCP will never come to California, but LCR might.  It is a nice DAO pocket revolver with a very serviceable trgger pull.

ILya
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 19:49
Thanks Koshkin  Thunbs Up

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 19:57
OH, if you recall, I wanted to get a 338 Lapua boltgun.  I still plan to.  I decided to not build a full-on custom, since it is bloody expensive.  The cheapest factory 338Lapua rifles are Remington MLR and AR-30.  I got a chance to look at a few 338 Lapua rifles on the show floor including those two.  I found that AR-30 did not fit me at all, while the HS Precision stock on the Remington felt pretty good.  AR-30 just has too many sharp edges and the grip is not comfortable for me. MLR it is then.

Some time this year, I will have a Remington 700P MLR with a Premier Heritage scope sittin gon top of it (I will have to sell a few scopes to finance it though).

ILya
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 20:00
Let me know how that 338 Lapua shoots.  I would like to get one too some day.

Thanks for the info on the show.  Just had a friend order a 6.5 Grendel AR from Alexander Arms.  He will be bringing it up so I can shoot it.  I am looking forward to that.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 20:03
I have an AR in 6.5 Grendel and it is a great round.

ILya
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 21:38
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

OH, if you recall, I wanted to get a 338 Lapua boltgun.  I still plan to.  I decided to not build a full-on custom, since it is bloody expensive.  The cheapest factory 338Lapua rifles are Remington MLR and AR-30.  I got a chance to look at a few 338 Lapua rifles on the show floor including those two.  I found that AR-30 did not fit me at all, while the HS Precision stock on the Remington felt pretty good.  AR-30 just has too many sharp edges and the grip is not comfortable for me. MLR it is then.

Some time this year, I will have a Remington 700P MLR with a Premier Heritage scope sittin gon top of it (I will have to sell a few scopes to finance it though).

ILya

I recall, please keep us in the loop. I can't wait to see what you get. Big Smile
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 00:48
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

ILya

I recall, please keep us in the loop. I can't wait to see what you get. Big Smile

Will do.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 08:56
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

ILya

+1!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Shakey Yankee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakey Yankee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 09:39
I went.  First time SHOT attendee.  I was really in awe.  I was on a personal mission so I didn't really look for anything new.  However, Bushnell is coming out with a new spotter with mil-dot reticle.  It is supposed to be better than the Leupys and rivaling the USO.  Priced at around $600.  Anybody else see this?

I looked at ALOT of Night Vision.  It seems the market is coming along.  Lots of civilian version stuff out there now that won't break the bank to bad.  Tons of handheld viewers out there.  But, add a reticle and gun mount and you're back in the big bucks for anything worth a crap.  All depends on your application.  I am getting a viewer this year.  Hopefully I can borrow my buddies 6X NV Rifle scope again this year.  Use the viewer to scan, then mount the gun for the shot.

+1 on Koshkins post on the 338's.  Everyone is trying to cash in this year, many a 338 now.  Not all of them practical, however.  The Remington did look good and was far cheaper than doing a custom build.  I liked the Armalight, didn't like the Barrett.
2/87-2/327-1/508-USAMU
17 down, 3 to go...
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 14:07
ILya, what will you be selling?
take em!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 14:18
I already have some stuff listed in the for sale forum. I will also probably sell my Compact ACOG and, perhaps, Kahles American Hunter.  I generally have more scopes, than scopable rifles, so I need to dig through the safe.  Perhaps, I will also sell a couple of binoculars.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 10:15

I already have some stuff listed in the for sale forum. I will also probably sell my Compact ACOG and, perhaps, Kahles American Hunter.  I generally have more scopes, than scopable rifles, so I need to dig through the safe.  Perhaps, I will also sell a couple of binoculars.

ILya

or use my approach, buy more rifles!Bucky
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:06
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

ILya

or use my approach, buy more rifles!Bucky

This is a chicken/egg problem: in order to buy the rifle that I want, I need to sell some scopes.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:08
that sounds like something your "wife" would want you to sayPeeker
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:11
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

that sounds like something your "wife" would want you to sayPeeker

Staying married is, currently, one of the more important goals of mine.

ILya
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:12
Light It Up hmm your not making this easy for me are you my lord??
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 12:25
 The ball's in your court pyro!! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic