OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Thoughts on Trijicon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote know1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thoughts on Trijicon
    Posted: January/22/2009 at 20:39
 I have recently acquired a Colt 6724 H-bar Elite and am now in the market for a suitable scope to mount on it. I am a newb to all this so any advice is greatly appreciated. I have been looking at the Trijicon Accupiont series (specifically the 2.5-10 x 56mm model with the amber triangle reticle). Does anyone have experience with this model/brand and are there much better choices in this price range ($750 ish online and with SWFA price match...)  As I said before any advice is much appreciated
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 21:48
what are you waiting on, get it you won't be sorry
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 00:57
Great scope you will enjoy it - I recommend it often.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 05:38

Have the 1.25--4x24 Accupoint on my Stag.  Really like it for fast handling and the red triangle is nice.  Good for nite hunting of coyotes where I live (legal in NH)

rockblaster View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockblaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 12:44
I have that same scope on a custom AR for predator hunting. I highly recommend it. Great glass and field of view. It has disappointed many coyotes. You can't go wrong and it is one of my favorite scopes.
Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.

~Davy Crockett
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 13:01
Good all around choice.
Welcome to Optics Talk.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
know1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote know1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 19:11
Thanks to all for the responses to my questions, I had been browsing the forums for weeks and just hadn't seen that much on the Accupoints. You would think there would be more recommendations for them considering the responses I've received here and the fact that no one has recommended any alternatives. I also got a Colt 6721 16" A3 carbine that needs optics but I'll start another threed about the differances between the Aimpoint and EOTech offerings. Thanks again.
Shakey Yankee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shakey Yankee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 08:37
I haven't played with with the Accupoints.  However, I have an ACOG on my AR and love it.  Trijicon glass just rocks.  You won't be sorry.  I replied in an earlier post about getting the 1-4X Bushnell or Vortex for my incoming RRA .308.  Didn't even think about the 1.25--4x24 Accupoint!  That would work very well me thinks.....
2/87-2/327-1/508-USAMU
17 down, 3 to go...
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 09:38
I have the 1.25-4X24 and just bought the 3-9X40 Accupoint.  Both have the amber triangle/post reticle.  I really like these scopes!  Other than peer through it to get a good idea of it's image quality, I haven't had time to play with the 3-9X40 or even mount it to a rifle yet, but I have spent quite a bit of time behind the 1.25-4.  Optically, they are above average, not in the alpha class, but as good as competing mid-range scopes.  I love the simple, clean reticle and innovative illumination system.  The adjustment knobs seem at least adequate, with positive feeling clicks and a pull up and turn zero reset feature.  On the most recent models, Trijicon has redesigned the rotating fiber optics cover so it has a cleaner, nicer appearance than the previous generation Accupoints.  I like the fact the fast focus eyepieces have a good deal of resistance, so they are unlikely to become rotated by accident during normal use.  As already stated, I think they are good, solid all-around hunting and short range tactical riflescopes!  

My only real complaints about the 2 Accupoints I have are:
1.  The 1.25-4 has a very short mounting length due to the slight objective bell on an already short main tube scope.  So, ring spacing will be a problem with many rifle/mount setups.  It wasn't a problem for me, since mine is on a rimfire.
2.  The 1.25-4 has some tunnel vision that the 3-9 doesn't have.
3.  There's a "contains tritium.  The purchaser is exempt from any regulatory responsibility" NRC exemption message on the underside of the objective bell that I think detracts from the appearance of an otherwise nice looking scope.  I don't understand why they chose to permanently imprint this message onto the scope rather than just using a decal. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
jladams View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jladams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 11:55
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

3.  There's a "contains tritium.  The purchaser is exempt from any regulatory responsibility" NRC exemption message on the underside of the objective bell that I think detracts from the appearance of an otherwise nice looking scope.  I don't understand why they chose to permanently imprint this message onto the scope rather than just using a decal. 

Ted,

I'll ask my Mom to be sure but I think that message is required by the NRC to be applied to the scope permanently. My Mom is a radiation physicist that worked at the NRC in Rockville, MD for a few years. She was involved in policy somehow. She is now at NIST.

Jack
johndaldrich View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johndaldrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 19:40
my lil brother has one on his rig. he wont sell it to me. i liked it when i took it out to play. sure you will like it
JTD0314 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTD0314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 22:35
I have a 3-9x40 that I have on a Browning BAR Shorttrac.  I use it for deer hunting and I couldn't be happy.  The glass is as good as my Nikon Monarch, but the reticle makes it perfect for first light and last light hunting.  I will be purchasing another!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/08/2009 at 23:03
Originally posted by JTD0314 JTD0314 wrote:

I have a 3-9x40 that I have on a Browning BAR Shorttrac.  I use it for deer hunting and I couldn't be happy.  The glass is as good as my Nikon Monarch, but the reticle makes it perfect for first light and last light hunting.  I will be purchasing another!

I'm guessing you meant, "I couldn't be happier", since you are buying another.
take em!
JTD0314 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTD0314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2009 at 08:46
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

Originally posted by JTD0314 JTD0314 wrote:

I'm guessing you meant, "I couldn't be happier", since you are buying another.

"happier" is correct.....................
matrobw View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matrobw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 18:49
I just put an accupoint 3X9X40 with the crosshairs and amber dot on my Rock River Arms Predator Pursuit and it has operated flawlessly.  I love it.  Comes in very handy for low light coyote hunting.  I would highly recommend it.  The glass is better than the 4200 I have and only slightly less clear than the Zeiss Conquest I have on my Sako.  It is well worth the $$$.
John Barsness View Drop Down
Optics Optimist
Optics Optimist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Barsness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2009 at 20:16
The Trijicon AccuPoints are mostly made in the same factory as the Bushnell Elites. This doesn't mean they have the same glass, but I would guess it is in the same class as the 4200's, especially since I have seen a lot of both. Only the reticle system is installed here in the U.S. They are are darn good hunting scopes and the reticle provides several advantages ovver conventional illuminated reticles--especially independence from electricity!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2009 at 10:14
Just bought the 3-9x40 for my son's first big gun and I was impressed.

Trijicon makes good stuff.

And so does Aimpoint and EoTech, own both, like both, different uses, both do what they do very well.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic