OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bino vs Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bino vs Scope
    Posted: January/22/2009 at 11:42
I have a dilemma.  Do I spend the extra $$ on a top of line set of binos and a mid line scope or a top of line scope and mid line bino?  I mostly deer hunt in west AL.  I cant afford top of line both, so I have a choice to make.  Any advice?

skywalker
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 12:09
Scope... You make a life and death choice everytime you make a shot.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 12:57

Binocular...  You can't shoot what you can't find.  Besides, you will use it far more than a riflescope and it will enhance your outdoors pleasure in times and places that the riflescope won't be around.  

All mid-grade (and even many budget-class)  riflescopes are fully capable of resolving the target image way beyond the degree necessary to take clean, ethical shots.  If you miss your target, or (heaven forbid) even shoot the wrong one, it won't be because your scope failed to offer you the requisite information to appropriately make that "life and death choice." 

Edited by lucznik - January/22/2009 at 12:58
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 13:03
swaro 8X30 slc bino
swaro 3X10X42 scope  (this combo is really all I can afford by any stretch)

swaro 8X30 slc
ziess conquest 3.5X10X50 (or 44)  (this combo is a little less expensive)

zeiss conquest 8X30
new leupold VX3  3.5X10X50

just a couple combos I am tossing around....

skywalker
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 13:15

I hunt in northeast Al, most of the time.  I have never found a case where binocular quality was the determinant on whether I took a shot or not.  I have also hunted Texas, Kalifornia, New Mexico, Minnesota.  Have never found binocular quality is the determinant.  I would go for a better scope and mid-quality binocular.  But that is just MY preference.  There are others who have different ones and that is AOK.  I would always prefer to have the better glass on my rifle. 

However, I can't fault your Swaro/Swaro option or the Swaro/Zeiss. 

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 13:47
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Binocular...  You can't shoot what you can't find.  Besides, you will use it far more than a riflescope and it will enhance your outdoors pleasure in times and places that the riflescope won't be around.  

Agreed. You will spend ALOT more time "glassing" with a good quality binocular, than pulling the trigger.
skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 14:44
Just pulled the trigger on some Promaster Infinity Elite ELX ED 8X42......will let you know what I think once they come in......couldnt pass it up.

skywalker
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 14:57
Originally posted by skywalker skywalker wrote:

Just pulled the trigger on some Promaster Infinity Elite ELX ED 8X42......will let you know what I think once they come in......couldnt pass it up.

skywalker
I don't know what deal you got, but looks good to me. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:02
Originally posted by skywalker skywalker wrote:

skywalker

Skywalker,

I've got those and the new ZEN ED.  You have ordered top line optics for mid level price.  Now you still have some money for a scope. 
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

skywalker View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:04
my exact thoughts Klamath.......

mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:08
I use bincoulars about 100 times as much as scopes, so that's where I'd put my money
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:09
And I use binoculars even more that that Embarrased
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:24
Whatever floats your boat... I DO NOT use binoculars that much, so it would be a waste.  As a matter of fact, I more often go get a scope to look at distant objects than I ever use my binoculars.  Never really think about the binocs, carry them sometimes, more often don't.  Just never had a great need for them. 

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:29
You saved money on the bino, now you should be able to get the conquest or swaro scope.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:30
I used to be that same way until I got a real nice pair of bino's.  Now I would much rather us the bino over a scope any day.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:34
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I used to be that same way until I got a real nice pair of bino's.  Now I would much rather us the bino over a scope any day.
Agreed top of the line Bino and a mid line scope. If you got a conquest it would more than do the job that a riflescope is needed to do to hunt during legal shooting hours I promise.
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:39
We will just forever have to disagree... I've used "top of the line" bino, just don't care for binoculars.  I have a good mid range bino and I also have an image stabilized. 
Me, I like a scope. 

Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 15:58
Agree to disagree This Much
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 17:00
There is the issue of pointing a rifle at something you don't intend to shoot, but...
Some places I hunt I never take binocs because you don't have time to use them.  I use binoculars for a lot more than hunting; in fact I use them almost every day, so that's where my money is best spent.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 17:48
One big advantage to a good pair of binos that I believe many people don't realize or haven't given much thought to is the fact that good binos are also very useful in close quarters, thick foliage hunting scenarios.  Typically, the average hunter thinks that you don't need binoculars for close-in hunting like this, where a long shot may be less than 50 yards.  In reality, I actually think this is where a good binocular is most useful!  I've found that my binos greatly help me to pick out an ear, tail, antler tine, etc. from tiny openings in the brush.  They in essence help you see "through" the brush and foliage, because as you are focusing through openings in the foliage, the closer limbs, leaves, etc can be minimized from the view as they are out of focus.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic