OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Worth the money? Bushnell dusk&dawn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoxleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worth the money? Bushnell dusk&dawn
    Posted: January/22/2009 at 08:21
Hello.

Im looking for a high power scope 22.250 caliber rifle. The budget is very limited. I found
BUSHNELL BANNER DUSK & DAWN RIFLE SCOPE 6-18x50 for around 120$. Anyone have experience with these scopes, the pros and cons?

Thanks
medic52 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote medic52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 08:58
Its a 120.00 scope, but they seem to get good reviews for rimfire I donn't know about centerfire. I would save up some more and get a better scope http://www.swfa.com/pc-8477-380-swift-6-18x44-premier-rifle-scope.aspx just an example for you to look at......but again its what you can afford...
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 11:06
I have one on a 300wm. It has served well enough, and been kicked around and dropped a few times. The rifle is a Ruger M77 and was even run over with an ATV when the rifle mount broke during a rather rough ride to my stand one morning. Mine is one of the older versions, so I can not attest to the durability of the newer ones. If my opinion of Bushnell is with merit then I would expect that the newer versions are as tough, and probably a bit better optically speaking. I could be overly optimistic though. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
motoxleo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoxleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 12:57

Well if this scope is strong and rugged that is a plus. What other "pros and cons" can you tell me about? Performance in low light?

cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 13:11
They are OK lowlight wise. Not any where near a Monarch, or 4200 Elite in that department. Can they be used in low light? Yes, I have a few deer that have been taken in the final minutes of hunting. The problem is that you start to lose a fair amount of useable light in the spectrum of what humans can see in. Use the lowest power, and hunt close, it will do the job. The scope does do a nice job in daylight.
I would suggest that if you are in the lowlight hunting situations, especially if you hunt in piney forests, that you seriously look at the Nikon Team Primos. The money spent on that scope is well worth the investment. For the few extra dollars over the Banner it is a very wise purchase.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
motoxleo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoxleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 06:34
OK guys, another decision made........ with your help. Will buy that one. Now I just need to find the scope mounts.  Any idea where I can get those? Ebay?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 10:08
Try Swfa.com or call them @ 972-726-7348.  They are the provider of this site and are great, knowledgable people, highly recommended.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
motoxleo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motoxleo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 16:49

Thanks Lucytuma.

I just sent them an email. 

I have a BRNO (CZ) 22. cal a 22-250 caliber that I plan to try with that same scope just for comparison (experimental). My best bet is to buy online and have mailed to me - so I have to do my homework first and find out what scope mounts will work on that 50mm scope. 

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 12:34
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 14:46

Welcome coyote95.  So I hear you're Doug's brother, we won't hold that against ya.  So are you the younger brother or the older brother?

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 15:18
Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Welcome coyote95.  So I hear you're Doug's brother, we won't hold that against ya.  So are you the younger brother or the older brother?

Welcome!! Your brother is an icon on this site!!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2009 at 15:45
i dont think icon covers it, doug is  LEGEN wait for it, DARY here. you have some big boots to fill to follow up a class act like doug!

welcome to the  ot man!!

Edited by pyro6999 - January/27/2009 at 16:08
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2009 at 15:54
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

Welcome!! Your brother is an icon on this site!!

Thanks for welcoming me to Optics Talk Forum, I enjoy reading the information that comes from this forum. I am Doug's younger brother. I hope I can shed light on some of these discussions. Thanks -Kevin
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2009 at 15:57
Kevin, since your here, we'd appreciate you sharing any REALLY embarrassing moments Doug might have had growing up too. Wink

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic