OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Compact scope suggestions, pls.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compact scope suggestions, pls.
    Posted: January/21/2009 at 14:19

Hey,

I got one of those little .22LR Browning semi-auto takedowns. Great rifle, accurate as hell, great trigger, lightweight. Perfect for walking through the woods looking for something to throw in the pot.

I got an almost 13" scope on it now. I'll post a pic at the very bottom of the page. It does the job and then some, but it's just to long and heavy for this rfle in my estimation. Plus it looks stupid, which doesn't really bother me 'cause I look stupid too.

I'm using a Leupold mount with 1" dovetail rings. Any ideas on a 8" - 10" scope, don't want to go ever 10". Don't care about a lot of magnification. I seldom, if ever, go for anything over 50yds.

I have a BugBuster scope on an air rifle but it won't fit. The tube is bigger than an inch and it was too short to mount anyway.

Don't wanna break the bank on this, so I'll be looking for a used or refurbed version of whatever I get, unless there is something out there for $150 or less.

Pic of the current set up is at the bottom of the page.

Thanks guys,

Mick

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 14:29
This should just about fit the bill, both price wise and size wise:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12326-2122-vortex-175-5x32-diamondback-rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2321-256-weaver-1-3x20-classic-v3-series-rifle-scope.aspx

http://www.swfa.com/pc-12477-2177-burris-2-7x26-timberline-rifle-scope.aspx

You might also check out some dedicated rimfire scopes.  There are severla options that while not quite as short as you want are still very trim:

http://www.swfa.com/pc-2344-257-weaver-25-7x28-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope.aspx

ILya

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 14:32
The Weaver will do the job, while fitting your requirements. They are a good scope.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2343-257-weaver-4x28-classic-rimfire-rifle-scope.aspx

Oops, beat me to it, ILya
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:05
I was just thinking... will a shotgun scope work?
No Quarter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No Quarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:13
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No Quarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:17
Check out this Weaver at SWFA.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:36
Originally posted by No Quarter No Quarter wrote:

Check out this Weaver at Brownells - WE849421
You obviously didn't read rule 3.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:39
No Quarter, here are the OT rules:

1.  Keep it clean.  If you have to ask your self whether or not it's clean.........don't post it.  This includes images too, no blood, guts, nudity, etc.  Only respectful "Hero Shots" of harvested game can be posted.  Pictures of bloody game, game hanging or game in the bed of pick-up truck are not respectable.

2.  No personal attacks.  If you think someone is an idiot, (chances are) everyone else does too.  No need to post it.

3.  Do not advertise our competition.  We work hard to gain the respect and support of our customers.  We also offer a 110% Low Price Guarantee.

4.  No religious discussions or politics unless it relates to guns, optics, and or shooting.

5.  PM stands for Private Message.  Do not share PM's without the consent of the sender.

6.  The Optics Talk forum is not to be used as a customer service tool for SWFA customers.  Tracking numbers, Order Status, Credit Card issues, etc. need to be directed to our Customer Service Professionals at 972-617-7056 from 8 a.m -5 p.m CDT or via e-mail at swfa@swfa.com.

7.  For Sale ads are to be placed in Member's Trading Post area only.  Read the For Sale Rules prior to selling.

You are new here, so no harm done.

ILya
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote No Quarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:52
sorry
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:54
Kickboxer,

I couldn't find that Weaver at, er, that other place anyway.

Can you point me to it at SWFA?

Mick
mickey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 21:56
What model Weaver is it?
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 07:43
Sorry, Mickey... I did not post on a Weaver, just a reference to the forum rules which indicates the Weaver reference should not have been made. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic