OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Longest Eye Relief?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longest Eye Relief?
    Posted: January/20/2009 at 19:14
Hi All. 1st post!

I'm looking for either a monocular or binocular with extremely long eye relief. My intention is to use them over goggles while I play airsoft. It's like paintball, but with smaller projectiles.

Any recommendations?

I found some really good Barska Deep Sea ones w/ 27mm Eye relief but the ebay auction ended. They were only $50.00!! Then I found Yukon's Futurus Pro 7x50wa that has 30mm eye relief. I just wanted to see if there are any alternatives that are cheaper and/or offer longer eye relief.

I've seen some binoculars that are listed w/ "unlimited" eye relief, but then I would see those same bins somewhere else with different specs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 06:12
Don't trust eye relief figures in $50 binoculars, they are bogus. The 7x Barska and Yukon have an eye relief of 16 mm at best. There is no such thing as unlimited eye relief binoculars, unless they have "0" magnification, but then they would not be of any use to you. Finally, i doubt that you would actually be able to see anything through goggles and $50 binoculars better than through goggles alone.
To get good eye relief, you need optics that cost much more than you seem willing to pay. Even then, the ER may not be sufficient for your "battle" goggles. Who would want to have their nice binoculars spray painted pink and blue, anyway?
My advice: forget about it.

Edited by anweis - January/21/2009 at 06:14
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 09:21
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

My advice: forget about it.

Good advice.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 09:40
Oh come on now fellers, just because his use and needs are different than yours doesn't mean it has no merit. 

Charlieton, have you thought about using something like a handgun or scout scope.  I realize it would be quite large but they have like 9in+ of eye relief.  So they would not interfere with your goggles at all.

http://www.swfa.com/pc-10047-1397-swift-4x32-reliant-pistol-scope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-2076-828-bushnell-2-6x32-trophy-handgun-scope.aspx
http://www.swfa.com/pc-13990-668-bsa-2-7x32-edge-pistol-scope.aspx

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 11:39
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Oh come on now fellers, just because his use and needs are different than yours doesn't mean it has no merit. 

Is this what you have in mind? CLICK HERE

I can't understand the concept of holding a binocular, to a pair of plastic goggles with one hand, while trying to shoot at a target with the other hand?????

Perhaps low magnification opera glasses?  Opticron Opera Glasses 3x27mm #30181

anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 13:16
The advice about a long eye relief pistol scope makes sense.

The link to the guys with binoculars fixed to their eyes is very funny. Just imagine them trying to play paintball in rough terrain like that!!! 
charlieton View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 14:22
oh man. you have to love the freaking Japanese. they'll TRY anything. so freaking funny.

my actual use is as either a spotter or rear security in our games. i wouldn't actually try to actively engage other players and use the binoculars at the same time. that's just ridiculous =)

@anweis: just because i found a good deal on the Barska 7x50 (27.4mm ER) for $50. doesn't mean they retail for that price or that, that's my budget. they actually retail for $250. listed here http://www.shopbarska.com/AB10160_1.html. and the Yukun Futurus Pro 7x50WA (30mm ER) retail for $150. both the manufacture website and review websites consistently spec out the eye relief on those bins @ 27mm & 30mm respectively. thanks for offering zero help and making assumptions. i can see how, because i asked for "cheaper" ones it could be safe to assume that. but i also put in "and/or" for a reason. reason being that if they offer longer eye relief- i understand that they won't necessarily be cheaper. but if they could offer longer eye relief and be cheaper all the better. you only assured me more that i did my homework well.

@supertool: thanks for the idea. i did think about that. i may go that route if i can't find an effective solution via bins or monoculars.

thanks everyone. still looking for alternatives though. =)
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 15:16
Originally posted by charlieton charlieton wrote:

thanks for offering zero help and making assumptions

You are welcome, but i did not make any assumptions.
Go ahead, purchase those optics, and come back to us and tell us how much eye relief do they have. 

lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 17:19
Originally posted by anweis anweis wrote:

thanks for offering zero help and making assumptions

You are welcome, but i did not make any assumptions.
Go ahead, purchase those optics, and come back to us and tell us how much eye relief do they have. 

anweis,

I too was going to offer some help but, I see that Charlie already knows everything so; I'll refrain.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 17:41
@anweis:"$50 binoculars better than through goggles alone. To get good eye relief, you need optics that cost much more than you seem willing to pay. " <--- thats not an assumption? 
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 17:48
@lucznik: an enemy of my hobby associate. is an enemy of mine. very cute. =) its actually more cute when you think this is the only forum on the internet.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 17:53
Anweis and Lucznik are actually two of our more versed Bino guys on this site, they both know their stuff.  They are just trying to steer you away from junk which is what Barfska is, pure chinese junk.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 17:58
i wish they would've just said that. easy peezy japanesey =) 
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 21:20

@lucznik: an enemy of my hobby associate. is an enemy of mine. very cute. =) its actually more cute when you think this is the only forum on the internet.

That makes no sense whatsoever. 

Is English, perchance, not your native tongue?
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 06:20

i wish they would've just said that. easy peezy japanesey =) 

Dude, my life is beautiful and i am having a lot of fun. I have no interest whatsoever to argue with you or anyone, or to convince anyone of anything.  You asked, and i told you.

Edited by anweis - January/23/2009 at 06:37
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charlieton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 16:45
@lucznik: its a twist on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_enemy_of_my_enemy_is_my_friend

@anweis: i asked are there any alternatives? i asked and you told me? you told me this: 1. act like what i was doing had no merit/value. 2. and i quote: My advice: forget about it. how is that helpful when in fact, there was a few alternatives which was the rifle scope and 2 another forum i learned that nikon sporters, the old versions, actually had quite long, some even called excessive eye relief. so instead of offering real objective advice. you instead project your beliefs  "just forget about it". nice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic