OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

need new scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r2nailer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need new scope
    Posted: January/20/2009 at 17:35
I hunt in Vt. and Ma. It always rains,sleet and snows.....
And all shots are under 100yds and typically in the bush.
I have an older Monarch (uppc or something) 3-9x40 on my .308 Medilist
And the same Monarch in 4x on my 870 w/hastings cantileaver.
I think they are both fine scopes and wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
I just picked up a new to me Model Seven in 7mm-08.
I want brousing around Nikon sight and was depressed with their presentation.
The difference I saw was the Monarch's are 95% light transfer and the Buckmaster is 90%.
So Will I be disappointed with the results of the Buckmaster? Low light shooting is a big deal to me with my ageing eyes. I also am considering a fixed power as I only use higher
magnification on the range, I feel I loose to much sight picture.
And what size objective will fit on my rifle?
Now if thats not enough, I hunt with guys who think the only scope is a Vari-X III.
Which way would you go?

Steve
Hmm just hand me a scope please

Duce View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 17:40
The Nikon primos for 199 is a Nikon Monarch and hard to beat at this price
SWFA is the company that pays the bills and sponsors this site and has great customer service.
Duce  Smile
Duce
Big Squeeze View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
GOOGLE NINJA

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Squeeze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 17:58
Since all of your shots will be under a 100 yards and in the bush, if you can go with a lower variable, which will still offer enough light, then I reco that.

A 3x9 imo, is too much magnification for your purpose. Check the light transmission specs for say the 1.5-5x20 VX3, or the 1.5-5x20 Sightron Big Sky. They will offer wider FOV`s, are more compact and will look better on the M7 imo.  
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 17:58

If I was gonna get a fixed power I would get the IOR 4X......and you can still be hunting when all yer buds with their Leupolds are driving back home for dinner.   Big Grin

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 20:32
The 4x IOR is one I would like to try. There is the 4x Ziess Conquest that you would not go wrong with for a little more. Zeiss has 2.5 to 8x and a couple other lower powered models in the conquest line.

If you are using the Monarch, then I don't see you with a buckmaster.  The Primos would get you buy.  Thought the next step for most Monarch users seems to be Zeiss or higher.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 21:19
I"ve been happy with this scope for shots under 200 yards.
http://www.swfa.com/pc-6713-259-zeiss-18-55x38-conquest-rifle-scope.aspx

swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 21:22
You could look into the new Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32.  I don't think they have hit the 'street' yet, but it would be very handy in a variety of conditions, with good glass...you could just about mount that scope on anything...
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 21:25
Originally posted by swtucker swtucker wrote:

You could look into the new Bushnell Elite 6500 1.25-8x32.  I don't think they have hit the 'street' yet, but it would be very handy in a variety of conditions, with good glass...you could just about mount that scope on anything...

That is going to be a great scope.  I am really tempted to get one as well.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 21:27
Ditto or the 4200 1.25-4 elite http://www.swfa.com/pc-13201-185-bushnell-125-4x24-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx
Given the weather conditions you re hunting in and shots under 100yds...the magnification range and Rainguard should suit ya

Edited by martin3175 - January/20/2009 at 21:28
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 22:08
You seem to be comfortable with a 3-9x40 or similar scope. If your eyes are not getting any younger, then having an option of dialing up to 6x or so is useful even within 100yards.  You may not use it much, but it is nice to have the option.

Since you are in fairly humid conditions, a scope with hydrophobic coatings is a good idea.

Take a look at these:

Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-7280-185-bushnell-3-9x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10x40:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-1283-185-bushnell-25-10x40-elite-4200-rifle-scope.aspx

Sightron S2 Big Sky:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-10618-1511-sightron-3-9x42-sii-big-sky-riflescope.aspx

If you decide that you really want a smaller scope, this is a good option:
http://www.swfa.com/pc-12759-2123-vortex-2-7x32-viper-rifle-scope.aspx

ILya
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 22:30
I'm with Ilya on this one the option of dialing up is always nice. The scopes that he recommends are those that he has experience with. Take his advise and you'll be good to go.
Welcome to Optics Talk.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic