OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles vs Swaro

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles vs Swaro
    Posted: January/20/2009 at 08:28
I'm looking to upgrade from a Leupy VX II on my Tikka 7mm-08 for use on eastern whitetails from contact range to 300 yds. Low light performance is very important. For the same money, would I be better off with a new Kahles 3-9x40 KX or a used Swaro 3-9x36 off the sample list? I would really like a Swaro 3-9x42 but can't afford a new one, and used ones don't seem to hit the sample list very often.

Also, how much better are the Kahles and 36 mm Swaro compared to a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40? Thanks.
Wes
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 09:01

I'll take the kahles and swaro over the conquest, but it's your money.  If you can find either on the sample list, even better.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 10:33
Go with a Kahles CL off the Sample List.  3-10x50 MZs are around 750...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 10:40
I love my Swaro. It is noticably better than my Conquest.  Don't have a Kahles to compare it to.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
wesgar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 10:40

Thanks for the advice but I really want to stay with a 40 mm or smaller objective and keep my low ring height.

Wes
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 11:35
A swaro av 3-9x36 would be great on a 7-08.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:04
damn, there isn't going to be a swaro 3-9X36 left by the time I can afford the darn thing.  Sad
take em!
wesgar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 14:20
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

A swaro av 3-9x36 would be great on a 7-08.

I agree, but do you think it would be better than the Kahles KX 3-9x40? Thanks.
Wes
wesgar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 14:22
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

damn, there isn't going to be a swaro 3-9X36 left by the time I can afford the darn thing.  Sad

So talk me into the Kahles and there will still be a swaro left. Wink
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 14:24
i wont do thatWhistling sorry your on your own with that one, too close to call for me
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 14:48
I would say a 42 mm bell is no different than a 40 mm.  I have both bell sizes and for the price of a KX you can have the CL glass and side focus. 
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 14:55
Kahles Customer Service is not quite as rock-solid as Swaro right now (the important part is, "right now."  It may change for the better, or for the worse.)  Such issues carry some weight with me.

I'd get the Swaro, hell, I might get the last one before you can, I need a new one too!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
mwyates View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mwyates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 15:10
Any of those would look great compared to your VX II.  I compared the Swaro, Conquest, and a Kahles CL.  I bought the Kahles but didn't keep it.  Didn't hold zero.  I'd go with the Swaro.
No man on his deathbed ever said "I wish I'd made more money".
wesgar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 19:46
Originally posted by brodeur272 brodeur272 wrote:

I would say a 42 mm bell is no different than a 40 mm.  I have both bell sizes and for the price of a KX you can have the CL glass and side focus. 

Sorry brodeur, I'm not following you. We were talking about a 3-9x36 Swaro and a 3-9x40 Kahles. Where does the 42mm bell come in?

Also, what do you mean about getting CL glass and side focus for the price of a KX? Loco 
Thanks,
Wes
wesgar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 19:49
Originally posted by mwyates mwyates wrote:

Any of those would look great compared to your VX II.  I compared the Swaro, Conquest, and a Kahles CL.  I bought the Kahles but didn't keep it.  Didn't hold zero.  I'd go with the Swaro.

Thanks for the heads up on the Kahles. I hate to hear it wouldn't hold zero, especially given the uncertainty surrounding their CS right now. What did you have it mounted on?
Thanks,
Wes
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 22:20
The reason I don't allready have that Swaro is because I bought 2 of the CL's first.  A 3-10X50 CL and a 2-7X36.  The 50mm is mounted on my go to deer rifle and its amazing!  Its unreal in low-light!!!  I bought the 36mm to put on my son't deer rifle, but I just picked up a Rem 700 Mountain LSS in .260.  Now I'm not sure what to do!
take em!
wesgar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wesgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 09:05

The reason I don't allready have that Swaro is because I bought 2 of the CL's first.  A 3-10X50 CL and a 2-7X36.  The 50mm is mounted on my go to deer rifle and its amazing!  Its unreal in low-light!!!  I bought the 36mm to put on my son't deer rifle, but I just picked up a Rem 700 Mountain LSS in .260.  Now I'm not sure what to do!

Well that's easy. Put it on your .260 and buy him something else. Let him buy his own Kahles. Wink
carbuyersfriend View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carbuyersfriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 09:53
Wesgar...I'am blessed in that I own both a Swaro (3x12x50) and a Kahles in 3x9x42. Both of these scopes have incredible glass and are worth saving up for if need be. I got the Swaro with my Blaser and it is one light gathering scope with awsome clarity. The Kahles is on my Cooper 243 and the gun is deadly out to 300-350 yards. Notice I said the gun !!! LOL Really though, I have other scopes including a Bushnell and lately a Weaver for my rimfire Kimber (unmounted so far) and nothing has glass as clear in all light as the Swaro. Kahles is a close second and I bought Kahles binos because I liked their scope so well. I am not overly concerned about the warranty on the Kahles as their products are really pretty bullet proof. I really recommend checking the Samplelist as that is where I just got my Swaro LRF at a really great price!!!! The folks at SWFA also take care of us that shop with them as I've already experienced.
Have a great day ...unless you have something else planned
geezer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 10:22
I have a Kahles CL and have not had any problems with the zero shifting.  It is currently mounted on a Model 70 Classic Featherweight chambered in 308 Win.  Excellent low light performance. 
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 10:38
Originally posted by wesgar wesgar wrote:

Well that's easy. Put it on your .260 and buy him something else. Let him buy his own Kahles. Wink

This is what I'm not sure about.... do I get the Swaro or something with longer eye relief like the Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40?
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic