OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leatherwood vs Nikon, Leupold, and Zeiss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bg88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leatherwood vs Nikon, Leupold, and Zeiss
    Posted: January/19/2009 at 21:16
I am currently working on a custom Rem 700 BDL 25-06. I have everything figured out for my rifle except for my scope. I have been looking at Leatherwood, Nikon, Leupold, and Zeiss, specifically the Leatherwood Uni-dial, the Nikon Monarch X, the Leupold Mark 4 LR/T, and the Zeiss Victory Diavari. I am looking for the best longe range scope for the money. What are some pros & cons of each and why is Leatherwood is sooo much cheaper than the others?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2009 at 23:41
Glass, and origin of manufacture, There is also supply and demand.
The Zeiss is definitely the best. You do pay to play there though, but they are worth the money.
Nikon makes very good scopes for the money spent.
Leupold are very good scopes also, though the price to performance ratio is not in your favor.
Leatherwood is improving with some of their scopes, some like them quite a bit. Others won't take the chance.
I hope that this helps a bit, and bear in mind these are purely my opinions. Some will agree some will not.
Welcome to Optics Talk. 
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2009 at 23:42
Boy that is a wide range of choices. I am told by my good friend Kickboxer that our friend Koshkin had the opportunity to get a good look at the Unidial Leatherwood at the Shot show this weekend. The report I get back (bearing in mind that I have really been wanting to buy one) is that the scope needs to be more sturdy to last long term but for light use it would likely be OK.
I will comment on the Mark 4 LR/T as I have two of them a 3.5-10x40 FFP and a 8.5-25x50 illuminated. These scopes are built like a tank they are designed for combat tactical use the adjustments are extremely reliable but many other scopes have better glass. Probably the most important thing they have going for them is LOTS of internal adjustment.  The service from Leupold is the gold standard by which all others are judged.
Nikon Monarch X - a tactical scope relatively new to the tactical market.  Decent glass Nikon has sold me a lot of camera lenses and a couple of scopes but not this one. The down side seems to be that they do NOT have much internal adjustment compared to Leupold, Nightforce, U.S. Optics, and S&B.
Zeiss Victory Diavari - well if the Swarovski Z6 is the worlds best glass this is a close second.  This is a monster scope with a monster price tag. If you want to shoot the wings of a gnat at a thousand yards this is the scope to do it.  You get what you pay for and this is an awesome scope.  The Z reticles are very nice and if you have the money to buy the Diavari it will serve you well.
5217559973 Zeiss 6-24x56 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Zeiss 6-24x56 Victory Diavari 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Rapid 1000
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Target Knobs
  • LotuTec Protective Coating
SWFA: $2,199.95
More Info... Buy Now

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/19/2009 at 23:45

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2009 at 23:57
Now scopes I would put on a 25-06 if I still had one:
VPRM06FP Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 Vortex 6.5-20x50 Viper 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • V-Plex Wide
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $499.95
More Info... Buy Now
652164MD Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                          Bushnell 2.5-16x42 Elite 6500 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Rainguard
  • Free SunShade
SWFA: $699.95
More Info... Buy Now
414530 IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                   IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8
  • 30mm
  • Exposed Knobs
  • Side Focus
SWFA: $1,149.95
More Info... Buy Now
LEU57180 Leupold 6.5-20x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope                                                                                Leupold 6.5-20x50 VX-III 30mm Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Varmint Hunters
  • 30mm
  • Long Range
  • Target Knobs
  • Side Focus
  • Free 2.5" Sun Shade w/ Purchase
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $791.96
More Info...
NOTE Leupold is putting better glass in this one  later this year as VX3
Of these the Vortex Viper is the BARGAIN and the IOR is a true tactical with awesome glass.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/19/2009 at 23:59

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
bg88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bg88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 07:28
thanx for the responses. I was definitely wanting the Zeiss scope, price tag sort of holds me back right now. Was just wondering if it was worth the bargain to get the Leatherwood or just save up for the higher end scopes.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 08:56

its not possible to compare the first 3 with the zeiss, in any catagory, tracking, glass, contrast, depending on the power range which you haven't mentioned. if you reject it because of the price the leo is the next best if your selecting a scope on the "build heavier duty for tactical type"

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 11:17
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

its not possible to compare the first 3 with the zeiss, in any catagory, tracking, glass, contrast, depending on the power range which you haven't mentioned. if you reject it because of the price the leo is the next best if your selecting a scope on the "build heavier duty for tactical type"

+1.  You cannot ask for comparison of things for which there is no real basis for comparison. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:14
there are some Zeiss's that aren't $2k........ what is the intended purpose for the rig?  What features do you need or want?
take em!
trigger29 View Drop Down
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:58
I know that It's not in the same league as the Diavari, but if the price is holding you back, you could look at the Conquest line. There is nothing wrong with them, they are just not as nice as a Victory line scope. The Rapid-Z 800 can work great for a 25-06 also, if you considered a ballistic type reticle. I think I personally would take one of these before a Nikon, Leupold, or Leatherwood. I would take a look at the IOR too though. Is this a long range hunting rig, or more tactical shooting?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 14:05
Swaro has a Z6 with a similar turret design to the uni dial - but much better made.  They call it a ballistic turret and it should work very , very well.

It ain't cheap, but great seldom is.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
bg88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bg88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 23:56
Originally posted by bg88 bg88 wrote:

I am looking for the best longe range scope for the money. What are some pros & cons of each and why is Leatherwood is sooo much cheaper than the others?

I completely understand that you cannot compare apples to oranges. I just want to know which is the best value. I will mainly be using this scope for long range whitetail hunting. Would like to eventually get into competitive long range shooting, hopin this could be a starter. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. Just trying to get the most for my money.
bg88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bg88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 00:18
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

there are some Zeiss's that aren't $2k........ what is the intended purpose for the rig?  What features do you need or want?

As already stated, my intended purpose is for longe range whitetail hunting and possibly get me started in competitive longe range shooting. I definitely want the adjustable windage & elevation, turrets? Really good magnification, probably atleast a 4-12x. Decent light gathering capabilities. A reticle like the Leupold Duplex, not a big fan of mil-dot. Any other recommended features for my stated purpose?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 11:14
Not sure what you mean by, "adjustable windage & elevation, turrets"  All scopes have these, maybe you mean "target knobs".  I think this would work great!  Don't think you will have any issues with deer sized game with 10x.

7257 Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Diavari VM/V 5216719908, Matte finish, #8 reticle, 30mm tube, fast focus eye piece, light ring marks, rub mark on occular end, factory certified refurbished, lifetime transferable warranty. $1,703.00 $1,199.95

I like this also:

8707 Kahles 4-12x52 Helia CL Multizero 51733, Matte finish, plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, allows you to zero your scope at five different ranges, close to new condition. $1,392.00 $799.95

take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic