OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Burris AR-332 Prism Sight

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike8620 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burris AR-332 Prism Sight
    Posted: January/19/2009 at 11:43
It looks pretty interesting. Any thoughts on this? I hope it has a black reticle when the batt. is off and not just a red dot  sight that is 3x. 
TUFBOY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TUFBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2009 at 17:09

I checked with SWFA they have the scope on back order. Their web site didn't have any info. posted on this scope. Would like more info. but if it's only 5" long and 3x I may take a chance on it.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 00:26
looks like a nock off of this one:
301258 IOR 3x25 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                      IOR 3x25 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated CQB
  • 30mm
  • Quick Response Tactical Sight
SWFA: $724.95
More Info... Buy Now
I think its rather pointless to add  picitanny rails to a 3x scope exactly what would you want to mount there its too low a power to really justify a small red dot. Not sure I get what they designed it for same same with this one.
LEU52155 Leupold 1-3x14 Mark 4 CQ/T Riflescope                                                                                   Leupold 1-3x14 Mark 4 CQ/T Riflescope
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Circle Dot
  • Comes with flip ups, battery, AR-15 Carry Handle Mount and Flat top mount.
  • Index Matched Lens System
SWFA: $899.95
More Info...
TACTICOOL

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/20/2009 at 00:27

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2009 at 19:04
The new Burris looks good. I know some will vapour lock over the inclusion of rails on the optic but so what--don't use them. I will watch this optic with some interest.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 03:25
I looked at AR-332 over at SHOT (check out my write up in the rilfescopes section).  It is an interesting sight, and is priced very well.  Optically, it is not in the same league as the IOR mentioned above, but it is also much cheaper.  I kinda like the reticle design, I think it is pretty fast.  The big question is how well the reticle illumination will work in low ligh.

ILya
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 09:24
Burris isn't know for long lasting battery life either.:(
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 09:57
Burris isn't know for long lasting battery life either.:( Im still curious
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 10:23
Originally posted by Yak Yak wrote:

The new Burris looks good. I know some will vapour lock over the inclusion of rails on the optic but so what--don't use them. I will watch this optic with some interest.

I dont mind using rails for stuff but I cant think of anything rail mounted that I would want to attach there. Front grip, single point sling attachment, bipod its the wrong spot on the gun.  I guess you could put a laser but most of the good ones are too large. The only other think I can think of is a Badger Ordnance  co-sign indicator and its hardly enough power to justify that. The other thing would be a docter optic red dot but the scope isnt enough power to really need that.  A surefire light would be bigger than the scope. None of the rail mounted stuff makes sense there except possibly a laser. What would you hang on those scopes?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2009 at 21:22
You're right on all points. Much of what can be placed on an optic rail is (currently) limited. I suspect Burris will have a combo package of an AR332/FastFire MRDS sometime soon, though. ;-)
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 01:09
As long as there is something useful that can be put on the optic its a good idea but most of the stuff I know of would likely damage the optic.  I was just kind of wondering if I was missing something and there was some nifty useful gadget that I needed.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 17:25
MRDS's and small lasers (LaserMax?) are whats in store for any optic rail. I had read that in order to secure possible .gov/mil interest in their new(er)6x ACOG a rail was incorporated into the design (at least on the MG version). But that may just be internet rumour...    
mikes46 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikes46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 22:29
That is the kind of simple range compensating reticle that Millett should have put in the DMS.

Is the reticle in the Burris illuminated only? Or if the power goes out can it be seen like the DMS?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 23:00
It can be seen if the power goes out.

I am not convinced that the holdover points make a whole lot sense here, as opposed to a simple circle/dot design.  I would need to play with it a bit more say for sure (I have a DMS-1).  When I looked at AR-332, I thought that the inside of the circle looked a bit too busy.  While the holdover dots do not bother me, those lines (two horizontal and one vertical) inside the circle are, I think, strictly unnecessary.

ILya

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2009 at 23:30
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

It can be seen if the power goes out.

I am not convinced that the holdover points make a whole lot sense here, as opposed to a simple circle/dot design.  I would need to play with it a bit more say for sure (I have a DMS-1).  When I looked at AR-332, I thought that the inside of the circle looked a bit too busy.  While the holdover dots do not bother me, those lines (two horizontal and one vertical) inside the circle are, I think, strictly unnecessary.

ILya

Boy that is right on the money I thought the reticle is unnecessarily busy. I really dont like the added lines to side and above if you have the circle and dots.   I got a chance to look throught one of these today and I liked it.  It is rather like an illuminated 4a
730132P Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight                                                                                      Bushnell 1x32 Trophy Red Dot Sight
  • Matte
  • Red/Green T-Dot
  • CR 2032 Battery
  • Weaver Style Rail
SWFA: $154.95
More Info... Buy Now
The mount did not seem sturdy enought for combat but for the average guy I think it would be just fine. The knobs look like exposed knobs but are in fact covers that unscrew.  Over all I liked it thought.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/24/2009 at 23:39

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2009 at 02:46
Does anyone have a line on the country Burris has tasked to manufacture and export the 332
(If its the PRC I'm not going to bite)?
Gang_Cop View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gang_Cop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 20:32
Hey is this only 3x or will it go from 1x to 3x??????
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2009 at 20:46
Originally posted by Yak Yak wrote:

Burris isn't know for long lasting battery life either.:(

That would be my only complaint so far with my illuminated Burris scope.  Bad battery life.  But if the reticle in the 332 is like my XTR you will still see it without illumination.  As far as I know, that is the way it works with the 332.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2009 at 00:26
Fixed 3x  if you need variable you might try this - I have one and it's not bad for the $ but larger and heavier than it looks.
731424M Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope                                                                                 Bushnell 1-4x24 Trophy 30mm Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
SWFA: $144.95
More Info... Buy Now

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
TUFBOY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TUFBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 16:27
I know after the last few months it may be hard to believe what Burris has said in regards to the release of their AR332 site, but I hold proof in my hand that the gentleman I spoke with is true to his word. This morning I received an AR332 at my front door directly from Burris. OK, I hear you now, getting it directly from Burris doesn’t mean they are shipping; I concur, but getting a new one in shrink wrap gives me a gut feel that they are in circulation and they will be in the hands of customer very soon, if not already.

My initial feelings are below. Plz keep in mind that they are based on having it for about an hour and not being able to fling lead with it on yet.

1. Good solid feel

2. Only a 1-year warranty concerns me.

3. The Ballistic CQ Reticle is nice, red & green illumination with 5 settings and a black non-powered reticle.

4. The Ballistic CQ Reticle is smaller than I expected, but very usable.

5. The holdoff dots are small; my older eyes can see them without too much trouble though.

6. The glass is clear, but a bit dark. The Burris Rep and I discussed this during our call and he advised me that this would be the case. It’s trade off for getting the unit at less than $300. I see no issue with saving a little $ for a bit darker site picture as it doesn’t appear to hamper the use of the site.

7. It’s about the same size as my EoTech 512 in a LT-110, but it’s not QR, which would be a good rev 2 upgrade…

8. While illuminated, the reticle has a shadow at 4:00 in low light situations while the brightness setting is on high (4 or 5). This goes away at lower brightness setting and in better light. This was tested in a dark basement, so YMMV.

9. While illuminated with the brightness level set at 5 in low light, you can see the rectangular film that the reticle is projected on. Not a big deal as in low light the brightness setting shouldn’t be on 5 anyways

10. You cannot use a BUIS with it, as you cannot see the front site clearly. It’s a 3x magnification, so that shouldn’t be expected anyway.

My initial feeling on it is very positive. It has a nice feel and it seems to be well built and will withstand the abuse from the majority of shooters. For $300, it seems to be a great value and if it works as I hope, Burris may have a winner on their hands. Was it worth the wait, only time will tell, but based on my initial feelings, I think it was, but of course, I’ll reserve final judgment on that until I get a few hundred rounds through it.

I hope to be able to get to the range this weekend and test it, if not, I’ll piss off my neighbors a bit and put a few rounds down range on my back yard 35-yard range and report back.

I know, pics or it didn’t happen, see below, it really did happen. There are a few pics with the sunshade on and a few with it off…

This is gonna get ugly boys… Change we can believe in.
TUFBOY View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TUFBOY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2009 at 16:29
The above was posted on AR15.com by MidMicHunter late last week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic