OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Upgrade Binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skywalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Upgrade Binos
    Posted: January/17/2009 at 22:58
I am in the process of upgrading my optics.  I posted on the riflescope forum and was given some great advice, now I am searching for binos.  Here goes.  I have had Nikon Monarch 8X42 and have been very happy with them, however, I want to move up a level.

Swaro 8X30 SLC
Pentax 8X42 SPF ED
Zeiss Conquest 8X30
Vortex Razor 8X42

Of these three, considering cost, are the swaros that much better than the others?

skywalker
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 00:47
Yes

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 09:50
I agree with Wes, But the swaro is also 1.5x more expensive, so it should be better.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 10:28
If your on a budget the Vortex Razor 8X42 is great choice; if not, the Swaro's all the way.

Edited by mike650 - January/18/2009 at 22:15
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 11:21
I would rather have an 8x42 than an 8x30 for extended glassing, especially in low light conditions. Since you said you were deer hunting, and they travel most at dusk and dawn, the larger exit pupil versus the 8x30 will help.
There is a very good review on the Razor from Lucznik. I have used these glasses and they are very good. http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=11194
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 22:12
I am with Tahqua.

This is an apples to oranges comparison due to very dissimilar binocular configurations.

If you can afford Swaro prices, take a look at Kowa Genesis 8.5x44.  If you are intent on a smaller binocular, I think I would take Kowa Genesis 8x33 over the comparably configured Swaro (keep in mind that 33mm objective lets in about 20% more light than a 30mm one).

ILya
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2009 at 22:19
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 06:50

From that list, my choice would be Swarovski 8x30. They have excellent glass and coatings and will work for you very well 25 minutes before sunrise and 25 minutes after sunset. 

The concern about low light performance is very valid, but i have tried them. They work.

Edited by anweis - January/20/2009 at 06:53
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 11:53
I hope to see the new Kowa Genesis 8x33 some day, because i am confident that they will be better than the Swarovski SLC 8x30, and, possibly, better than most 8x32s out there. 
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:17
Kowa's product details, under Phase Coating on the Roof Prism, describe their BaK4 roof prism to have "a highly reflective aluminum coating," and later, under C3 Coating, say the "roof" of their Schmidt-Pechan prism is multi-coated with a highly reflective dielectric (C3). As they note, good dielectric reflectors are superior to silver, which is better than aluminum.

What are they using - dielectrics, aluminum, both?

Tom

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:20
Dielectrics on the Genesis.
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2009 at 13:54
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Dielectrics on the Genesis.

Thanks. The "aluminum" bit made no sense.

Tom

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic