OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

1-4 vari-II vs. 1.5-5 vari-III vs. 1-4 Mark 2?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1-4 vari-II vs. 1.5-5 vari-III vs. 1-4 Mark 2?
    Posted: January/15/2009 at 13:16
I am still looking for the perfect low power scope for my coyote calling AR for very close to medium ranges.  The vari-III is on sale now, but is still 60 bucks more expensive than the vari-II.  Are the differences worth the cost?  Some shooting will be near dusk, but certainly not after dark.

Also, is the Mark 2 simply a vari-III is subdued disguise with a different power ring?  Same glass?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 13:17
you mean vx3 right?
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 13:46
Might also want to consider the weaver v3 1-3 power.  Not as good as the Leupolds above, but fairly decent.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bhk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 14:00
Yes, I mean the vx series.  Thanks.  I would correct my OP but don't see any edit options.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 15:40

I would say the vx III is $60 better than the vx II.

take em!
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 15:44
me too, they arent really even similar other than the gold ring and name on the side, the vx2 has a two piece tube where the vx3 doesnt, they vx3 has better glass and coatings, that right there has to be worth every bit of $60
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 15:48
Trijicon TR21, Nightforce, Bushnell, USO: many routes I'd take before Leupold, but if it is what you want, go for it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 18:04
Originally posted by bhk bhk wrote:

I am still looking for the perfect low power scope for my coyote calling AR for very close to medium ranges.  The vari-III is on sale now, but is still 60 bucks more expensive than the vari-II.  Are the differences worth the cost?  Some shooting will be near dusk, but certainly not after dark.

Also, is the Mark 2 simply a vari-III is subdued disguise with a different power ring?  Same glass?

Mark 2 glass is like VXII glass.
Mark 4 glass is more like VXIII glass.
So, the VXIII is a definite upgrade over the Mk 2.  Spend a little extra and get the better glass.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 19:32
I picked up a VX-III 1.5-5x20 the other day when I stumbled across one severly discounted. After a little time playing with it and comparing to my night optics ( TA442, comp M4, TAO1b and Illuminated Mk 4 )  I have to say I like the scope but feel that an illuminated reticle would really help a coyote rig if you hunt low light or night.  I really think any of the 2moa dot aimpoints would be a good pick for that use out to 200 yds. I think the Trijicon Accupoint scopes would be ideal.  As far as traditional optics this one is close enough in price to really merit consideration.
421424M Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope                                                                               Bushnell 1.25-4x24 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
  • Matte
  • 4A w/ Illuminated Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
SWFA: $389.95
More Info... Buy Now
Irregardless the 1.5-5 is a nice compact scope and I know I can trust it to work for a low power hunting rig so there are lots of applications that it works well for, dangerous game, muskets, slug guns, rimfire guns, brush guns under 200 yds. I trust Leupold, but I could stand an illuminated reticle and may move this from a coyote rig to a deer rig.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - January/15/2009 at 19:39

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
puppezed View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puppezed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2009 at 04:50
Bushnell 4200 1.25-4x24 should be a great scope for the price and also has an illuminated reticle.

If you want scopes which are as close to true 1x as possible, check out Burris EuroDiamond / XTR Xtreme Tac 1-4x24 and Meopta R1 1-4x22. Both scopes have models with and without illumination. These scopes (and especially the Meopta) have been found to be good scopes in 3-gun matches and I see no reason why they wouldn´t work in hunting too.

Review of Meopta R1 1-4x22 K-Dot:
http://www.packpractical.com/reviews/meopta.php
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2009 at 11:53
I have moved a 1.5-5x20 Leupold around on various guns. It is not very good in low light where a lot of coyote movement occurs.
I would suggest at least a 24mm minimum on the objective lens for a low range variable.  Of course higher quality scopes should be a part of the equation if you can afford them.
If you want a low power Leupold I would look at the 1.75-6x32.
deer slayyer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deer slayyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 08:32
i think u should get the vrx 3 i have one on my coyote gun
its worth the extra money
Cameron View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cameron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/15/2009 at 22:27
Originally posted by deer slayyer deer slayyer wrote:

i think u should get the vrx 3 i have one on my coyote gun
its worth the extra money

I second that.

C
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic