OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Projector advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Projector advice needed
    Posted: January/15/2009 at 10:55
I talked to supertool about this already, but here is the deal, our fire dept is wanting to either buy a new tv, or a very nice projector. we would use it mostly for training programs, and videos, we can pull a lot of them off the net from the national fire academy. we also want it to be capable of being connected to our cable box to watch tv. the thought for going with a projector is that we are in close proximity to an area of high property theft, and our thoughts were that if we had a projector  with a hidden ceiling enclosure it would be out of side out mind, where a big flat panel tv hanging on the wall wouldnt have that advantage.
i looked at the

MITSUBISHI HC5500  

this is the kind of projector we want, something like that, and the price is right at best buy for $2000, you guys got any other ideas? we prefer a 1080p because we want a high quality picture, i guess the right 720p would work too.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 13:50
Hunter, try this sight Projectorcentral.com  I think you'll be able to find a projector for about $800-1200 that will work real nice, also this sight has alot of info on everything about projectors.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 14:27
remember, though, the big deal with projectors is keeping the room dark.  Our church just purchased two along the same price line and quality--good pictures at night, but the open windows cause much grief during the day.  I want to say that our cost per unit was in the 2500 area!
SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 14:28

Also, the better the screen, the better the image--and the better screens can get quite pricey!

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 14:38
money isnt a huge issue, if we gotta spend $3000 we will, all of our training takes place at night, and we only have two windows in that room. we plan to use either our white wall, or buy a big fancy dry erase board so we get double the use.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 15:01
You can get a pull down white screen for about $200.00
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 19:54
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

You can get a pull down white screen for about $200.00
The screen is important. The better the screen is it gives a much better picture. It is like buying a $4000 Surround sound and using discard car speakers. Nice stereo but it sounds like Sh*t.

Edited by 3_tens - January/15/2009 at 19:54
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 20:39
The screen does not make that big of difference, sure you can spend over $1000.00 on Dalite or Draper screen, but a matte white screen is the most commen and should provide excellent results with averaged priced Lcd or Dlp projector.  I would look for some thing with a gain of .8 to 1.1 this should provide decent results as long as you can control ambiant lighting.  Hunter, I'll post some pics of a personal theater I recently finished.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 21:03
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 21:04
swtucker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swtucker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 21:21
I think you better hurry...the super bowl is in like 2 weeks...Big Grin
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 23:31
Thunbs Up

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 09:10
its not for my house its for our fire station, the only thing is that we somehow want to be able to conceal the projector in the roof, have some sort of trap door with a telescoping pole if thats possible. like i said if we can hide it so nobody can see it that would be great.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 15:53
Why not just remove it and put away when your done with it.  These projectors are held to a universal mount with three or four screws. As long as you have your A/C and data/com wires near your projector your good to go.  These projectors are very user friendly and provide an excellent picture as long as you don't try to go real big.  I'd recommend something along 92"-106" screen and yes you can even project onto a white wall with fairly descent results.  It doesn't matter if the application is for your fire station or a dedicated theater room, the concept is the same and results should be simular.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 15:57
our station is very close to an indian reservation and they have stolen stuff from us before, we keep some money on hand for buying pop, its $0.50 a can so we have that money and they stole all of our money plus the beer we had and since then we havent had any beer in our firehall. they also stole one of our trucks and set it on fire, that was before my time. we figure if its out of sight they wont mess with it, we did upgrade our security system after that and havent had any trouble. as far as a screen goes we will have to talk about it.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 16:08
It takes about 5min to set one of these up after the original install.  The only negative about a projector is the short lamp life, about 2000 hours is average, but are easily replaced for about $350.00, you don't have to ceiling mount, it can be placed on a shelf or a coffee table.  Most of these projectors have both verticle and horizontal lense shift, allowing for different installations.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 16:10
i realize that jeff, but we dont really have a safe place to hide something like that, so our thoughts were that if it was hidden in ceiling they wouldnt take the time to mess with it, where as if we placed it in a room some where they could just pick it up and walk away. same with a big flat panel tv.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic