OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hensoldt Wetzler 4x Scope adjustments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dherr17241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hensoldt Wetzler 4x Scope adjustments
    Posted: January/15/2009 at 07:41
I recently bought a Franz Sodia SS made in 1964 with claw mounted Hensoldt Wetzler Dialytan 4x scope. The scope has both windage and elevation adjustments on it and I am pretty sure from examining and shooting the gun that it was unfired when I bought it. The adjustment turret heads have 4 screws each on them and one of the screws is silver colored and the rest are blued to match the head. I am thinking the silver one is a locking screw and it must be loose to turn the heads. Also, I don't believe the adjustments on the scope have been moved for decades, maybe never.  There seems to be a grease that is on the adjustments under the caps.  Is the a modern lube that I can put on to maybe penetrate the threads and loosen it up? Can anyone confirm this to me or have any experience with the Hensoldts of the 1960 period or do you know someone who could advise me.
Thanks,
Dave H
dherr17241

Be well and prosper
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 07:53
There has been a similiar thread in one of our local hunting magazines. In this particular case the dials were locked solid and the owner could not turn them.
The answer was that the housing contains a grease that solidifies over time, due to the quality of grease 45 years ago. The advice was to heat the housing over a butane flame untill the correct consistancy was reached, but the same problem will soon occur.
The concern also was that the grease could became too thin due to over heating and it could then leak past the seals.
So this may be a problem in your case as you say there is allready grease showing.
Their final advice was to take the scope to some appropriate service center and let them service the scope and change the grease to a more modern grade.
Hope this helps.

Edited by 8shots - January/15/2009 at 07:56
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 07:59

Get Your Popcorn Ready      verrrry interesting, Doktor!!!  
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
dherr17241 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dherr17241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 11:11
Thanks for the info.  Sounds like my case exactly.  Good news is that the optics are claw mounted and there is a windage adjustment on the rear base and the mounting has the elevation exactly right for the range I want to shoot most times. So, I can get it on target w/o the internal adjustments of the scope being moved.  Pretty fortunatee eh?
Dave
Be well and prosper
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/16/2009 at 02:36
You are lucky. I re read the article in our local magazine just to make sure I gave you the correct info (which I did he has the exact scope as you described. ) Only he has one problem, wait for it...... the scope has been welded to the rifle!!!!
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 01:24
Just another update on the Hensoldt with stuck adjustment dials:
Heating the scope can be tricky, so some-one in the next edition suggested the following:
Remove the white or silver screw, then remove the other three black screws. These 3 screws are the adjusting screws. Then remove the top disc which will reveal another disc, which is the adjusting disc. Remove this disc. There should be a tiny pin that acts as a click mechanism. Be carefull not to lose this. The bottom disc may appear to be glued on due to the old grease. It will come off with a bit of prying. Nothing will jump out etc. This will reveal the old solidified grease. Heat the grease by putting the scope in the sun. Use something small and remove the grease, even using a bit of solvent or petrol on a cotton bud. Be careful that no fluid gets into the scope.
Then use some (very little) Lavender oil and put it on the shaft of the adjusting mech. Hold the scope upside down so that the oil does not go into the scope.
The dial should now turn.
Put everything back together and add a bit of Vaseline.
head out to the range, make your adjustments and tighten it up with the white screw.

Edited by 8shots - January/23/2009 at 04:27
dherr17241 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dherr17241 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2009 at 11:37
Thanks so much for your help guys, I am hopeful this will loosen the mechanism.
Be well and prosper,
Dave
Be well and prosper
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic