OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

20+ power scopes available in silver?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuketrainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 20+ power scopes available in silver?
    Posted: January/28/2005 at 12:37

I recently bought a Ruger #1 in Stainless Steel, laminated stock, .204 Ruger caliber. It shore is purty and I don't want to spoil the looks with a black/matte scope. Unfortunately I have not had much success in locating a scope in matching silver that meets my desires:

- since it will be shot mostly from a bench on targets and small furry creatues I wanted at least 20 power (some local contests shoot eggs out to 200 yards)

- objective size of 40 to 44mm

- 1" tube

- significant eye relief (obviously not concerned about recoil, but the rings mount quite far foward)

- doesn't cost more than the rifle

I did see Weaver has something in their Grand Slam (6-20 X 40 for ~ $350) and their T-series that appears to be fixed 32X for about a hundred more

Thanks for any help that can be provided! 

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 13:08

I doubt that you will ever find a silver scope to match.  Personally, I think the stainless and black look good together.  Kind of like a two-tone 1911.

ranburr

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 15:18

Sightron makes silver 6-24x42 scopes (with either dot or plex reticles).  I think Nikon Monarch UCC 6.5-20x44 also has a silver version.  That Weaver Grnad Slam is a nice scope at a very attractive price as well. 

Naturally, my vote goes to the Sightron, but you should try to look at all three before deciding.

Ilya

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 15:35
Get the Nikon
lurch(jec) View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lurch(jec) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 18:33

If you want to go as first class and make it an awsome Combo... provided you have the check book...

Get the Leupold VXIII 6.5x20-50mm Target 30mm tube in silver. It runs for $799.95 here on SWFA. This scope will be as good or better than your gun.

The bigger objective and tube will gather more light and give you more adjustment on your turrents, but you can get it in the 40mm objective also. You will save $50 for the smaller objective.

There will be no question about the accuracy of your gun with this scope.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU55178/leupold_vx-iii_ 6.5-20x50.htm

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/LEU55148/leupold_6.5-20x 40_vx-iii_30mm_riflescope.htm

If I could afford it, the only scopes I would own would be Leupold. I have had extremely good luck will them and there Lifetime Warranty is awsome. You can send your scope to them and change your reticle for small prices (except illuminated).

Save your money and get a scope you definitly will not be disappointed in.

Good luck and happy shooting.

JC

Edited by lurch(jec)
One Shot, One Kill, NO EXCEPTIONS!!!
gozarian View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gozarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 04:25
Zeiss Conquest in 6.5-20x50 in Silver finish.  lurch(jec) go ahead and expand your horizons, there are better scopes out there than your Dad's Leupold!
nuketrainer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuketrainer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 11:46

Thanks for all the input guys. I had previously spent the better part of a day on the computer bouncing around to the different manufacturing websites trying to decipher their BS regarding the greatness of their respective products. Stumbling across this website (OPTICSTALK) has been a boon to me. I have read the various reviews that say put a matte scope on a SS rifle but I just didn't like the look of that combination of that Ruger #1 in the last August edition of the American Rifleman magazine. Maybe Ruger's stainless is a little more polished than some other versions.

By the by, does anyone know ballpark prices for the Sightron unit? I have never heard of them before and their website doesn't provide prices.

Thanks!

TJF 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 18:05
Sightron 6-24x42 will run you anywhere between $360 and $430 depending on the retailer and whether thay have a sale on it.  I was under the impression that SWFA was going to start carrying Sightron in a not too distant future, so I'd rather not explicitely advertise a price from their competitors.  Anyhow, I am sure they'll be able to beat any advertised price out there.

Ilya
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic