OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which One ?Leica LRF 900 vs LRF 1200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sage1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which One ?Leica LRF 900 vs LRF 1200
    Posted: April/08/2004 at 19:51

I'm going to pick one of these and would like to hear from those folks that have or have used the LRF 900. I'd prefer to buy the 900 but I'm not sure if it'll range on big game etc at the max distances I may need for deer and elk. I'm guessing the 900 will pick up a deer at 500 yds or so and the 1200 may be able to pick up an animal at 800 or so. I would most likely never shoot over 400yds if that. So does the 900 fill the job for 9 out of ten hunters? It also looks like Leica is targeting the hunting crowd with the 900 since they gave it a green housing.

Thanks for the input

Sage1

Stephanie View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper
Optics Goddess

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephanie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/14/2004 at 16:05

LEICA RANGEMASTER 900 scan
Monocular laser rangefinder with 7x magnification and a reach of 826 m (900 yards). With an LED display that adjusts itself to ambient brightness and with multiple modes and integrated diopter compensation.

LEICA RANGEMASTER 1200 scan
With its great range of 1,200 yards (1,097 m), this Leica laser rangefinder establishes an entirely new class of performance. The extended range is ideal for orientation in the wide terrain and on the high seas. In addition, its stronger laser beam also provides even more accuracy, even under unfavorable circumstances, like rain, haze or strong sunlight. Thus it is now possible to determine the exact distance to the target, even in poor viewing conditions.

If you don't need all that magnification I would go with the 900 but this is something you will have to decide what you want and what you can afford.

Peter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2004 at 08:05

I used a LRF- 900 yard model prior to purchasing my LRF-1200 yard model, the 900 scanned a mule deer at 776 yards prior to stalking the deer.

I purchased the 1200 because if the critter is further than 900yds, you just dont know how much further, if its more than 1200yds, you can see that its more than 1200yds.

For the little extra cost, go for the 1200yd model, a rangefinder is all about judging distances, the 1200 is just that bit more versatile !!!!

If your in for a penny, why not spend a pound?

Whilst in Wyoming this year hunting, I ran into a guide that carried a 300/378 Weatherby, he took a bull elk @ 875 yds, he has the Weatherby zeroed  1" high @ 500yds & held over accordingly.

I know thats too far to be taking a shot !!!!!!!

Try doing it without a quality rangefinder !!!!!!!

Enough said 

Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2004 at 19:37
While were talking about the Leica rangefinders, I thought I would mention that they discontinued the camo version of each.  So if you had your heart set on a camo unit you better act fast.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic