OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope Advice
    Posted: January/28/2005 at 10:58
As you can see by my handle, I am new to this topic (not to shooting, but to tactical/long range shooting). I have purchased a Remington 700 LTR in .223 (I have glaucoma and my eyes will not withstand much recoil).  I shoot at a fairly short range (220 yards) but some day hope to be able to shoot at much longer distances. Therefore, I am having a problem selecting an appropriate scope. The Mark 4 LR/T scopes seem to me to be a bit more than I really need and so I have been looking at the PR series (although I haven't ruled out the LR/T's). I will be shooting targets and metal plates. I like using a fine duplex reticle but am not sure if I should be considering the mil-dot reticle instead. Do the PR scopes have caps and, if so, must they be removed before you can adjust the turrets? As you can see, I'm floundering here. I've read through the threads here and search the Net for more information, but I'm no clearer on what would be best. Any help that you can give me will be appreciated. Thanks!

Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 11:13

I have a Mk4 PR on my LTR.

Yes, the PR's do have threaded turret caps and use the same 7/8ths knobs that are used on the VX-IIIs with TT's.

You'll pay a considerable extra amount for the mil-dot recticle.  If you plan on making all range adjustments with the elevation knob instead of mil-dot holdover, you might want to avoid the extra investment.

Edited by Boomholzer
Newone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 12:21
Thanks for the quick reply, Boomholzer. Since the PR's have 1/4" click adjustments,  is it difficult to make range adjustments when you go long distance (i.e.- lot of clicks)? Is that why people use the mil-dots? I'm still fuzzy on that aspect of scope use. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 12:43

The Mil-Dot system provides a system for range estimation.  If you know the size of the intended target, you can count mil-dots across the target to determine the range.

The formula is:  ((target size (yrds) x1000) / # of mils that cover the target) = yards to target

You also can use the mil-dot to determine a hold-over, provide wind hold-offs, and to engauge moving targets.

I installed custom knobs calibrated for a specific ammo. Therefore, I don't have to "count clicks"  after determining the range, I just dial up that number.  Most people use the hash marks and know the number of clicks per full rotation instead of counting.

If I am using a ammo different than what the knobs are calibrated for, I set up my drop table to still reference the knobs. For example, if a ballistic table tells me the ammo is 0.5 MOA different at that range, I goto the same range on the dial and subtract or add two clicks. 

However, without a mil-dot recticle, one still needs to determine the range using some method.

Edited by Boomholzer
Newone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 12:51
Thanks, again! That's a very good short definition! I'll have to rethink the reticle choice now. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 13:03

My first response was'nt very clear. 

Since targets and metal-plates are usually set up at known distances, the ranging aspect is not needed so I did'nt elaborate on that.

Newone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 13:20
Understood. Thanks!  
Newone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 14:55
Boomholzer: Sorry to bug you but one last question. If the LR/T scopes have 1" elevation adjustments, how is it possible to zero such a scope at say 100 yards? If your zero is off,  1/2", then wouldn't it be impossible to zero exactly since your adjustments are 1" (or am I completely misunderstanding how the elevation clicks work)?        Thanks!

Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 15:41
No, because the cone of fire will never be less than the resolution that the crosshair will subtent at that distance. In other words most gun load combinations will never outshoot the ability of the scope even with a "cheap" scope. The failure in the system is usually in the scopes ability to hold POI=POA which is a mechanical failure of the device.
Newone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2005 at 17:09
Dale: I'm not really sure what you said but I think you were saying that it is possible to zero at the 100 yards with the 1" clicks, right?  Sorry, I really am a newbie here. 
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 21:58
yes-good scope have fun.(although the clicks are 1'MOA the cross hair substension is less allowing for a more refined sight picture.)
Newone View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2005 at 22:52
Thank you, Dale. I called SWFA and ordered the Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10X40. I'm really looking forward to getting it and trying it out. Thanks to you and Boomholzer for the great info and advice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic