OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rings for 4200 2.5-10X40mm on Sav110 270Win

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rings for 4200 2.5-10X40mm on Sav110 270Win
    Posted: January/13/2009 at 12:28
WhackoI started this string on the Rifle Scope Forum not realizing that this forum existed.
Sorry, I am stil newbie dumbBucky.

Here it is....I bought a Savage 110FP in 270Win for Xmas that came with Simmons Blazer scope mounted on split weaver style base.   I knew in advance that I would upgrade the scope. 
Well I did this a little sooner than I had originally planned.  I could never get in zeroed.  even though all mounting hardware appeared tight the scope rotated in the rings about 3 degrees after 30 rounds or so. 
Later during cleaning I removed the scope and found some metal flashing on the front top ring, enough to prevent full closure and allow movement.  I removed the flashing.

I went ahead and ordered a Bushnell 4200 2.5X10-40mm for the rifle.  Being a long action light weight the 4200 should be more than a match for the recoil in a rest. 

The rings that came with the rifle appear to be B-squared ones.  I say this because the weaver style mount clamp nuts have a unique curled profile to them that matches B-square ones.

Are B-squared rings any good?

What rings would you recommend for the 4200?

Let me hear from you guys!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 12:28
Okay, I have one vote for Warren Rings.

I know there are more opinions out there so lets hear them!  I know nothing about rings!

I forgot the mention, the Rings I have are very light...probably aluminum.
the internal contact surface of the rings appear to be a painted over bead blasted finish.

I remember reading somewhere that this rifle came with one of three different manufacturers rings... B-Squared was the only one I recognized.  When I checked the B-SQ website the rings looked simular mostly because of unique clamping nut profile however the loose clamping bracket was stamped steel instead of extruded of cast piece the B-SQ website showed.

I'll try to get some pix tonight after I get home.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 12:36
How about some Talley mounts.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-5219-637-talley-lightweight-aluminum-1-scopemount.aspx

Edited by supertool73 - January/13/2009 at 12:39
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 12:47
Just for continuity sake I will post here again (this was in the rifle scope section).  Weaver Grand Slam Steel Rings, $18.  What else can I say but they work and they are cheap.
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 16:04
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

How about some Talley mounts.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-5219-637-talley-lightweight-aluminum-1-scopemount.aspx

+1 I would take these over the weaver rings any day of the week.The one-piece construction of the Talley Lightweight Alloy Scopemount is unique. The rigid design has no joint between the scope and the rifle. The Talley Lightweight unitized design eliminates the possibility of an "out of alignment" interface or "loose connection" between the ring and base of traditional two-piece designs. Ultimately this provides more strength and durability than rival steel rings and bases but doing it with a lighter overall weight.

Edited by Chris Farris II - January/13/2009 at 16:09
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 17:32
[QUOTE=Chris Farris II][QUOTE=supertool73] How about some Talley mounts.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-5219-637-talley-lightweight-aluminum-1-scopemount.aspx

High Chris II!

I really like the idea of direct mount rings that do away with the weaver base.   My rifle is a factory mounted scope, packaged rifle, so the drilling and tapping for the split weaver style base should be properly placed!!?!!?  I hopeRoll Eyes!

One more question??? is the link above for the correct Height rings to mount a 4200 2.5-10X40mm?  The rings that come up are 930708 lows, it looks like the rings I removed were mediums at least and their were on a 3-9X40mm simmons Blazer.

Please check and let me know!

B
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 17:37
Thanks Supertool73 is didn't know you could get direct mount rings!!

I like the idea of one less interface to come loose.  As long as the factory properly drilled and tapped the base mounting holes it should simplify mounting and alignment too!

Have you ever heard of anyone having to shim Talley's?

B
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 18:10
I just visited Talley's website.  Now I am concerned about the "New round Action" mentioned there for the models 10, 11, 12 (short actions)

My Rifle is a Savage 110FP in 270Win long action with accu-trigger, It was manufactured in Sept of 2007 according to OEM box labelling.

I removed the split Weaver style bases, both front and back.  Both are concave on the bottoms were they mate to the gun.  Is this the round action they are talking about?
The reason I ask is because the picture of teh 930708 rings seems to show that the back mount is flat bottomed.

According to Talley's website low mounts are good for up to 44mm objective scopes.
--Thomas Jefferson

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 08:24
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

[QUOTE=Chris Farris II][QUOTE=supertool73] How about some Talley mounts.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-5219-637-talley-lightweight-aluminum-1-scopemount.aspx

High Chris II!

I really like the idea of direct mount rings that do away with the weaver base.   My rifle is a factory mounted scope, packaged rifle, so the drilling and tapping for the split weaver style base should be properly placed!!?!!?  I hopeRoll Eyes!

One more question??? is the link above for the correct Height rings to mount a 4200 2.5-10X40mm?  The rings that come up are 930708 lows, it looks like the rings I removed were mediums at least and their were on a 3-9X40mm simmons Blazer.

Please check and let me know!

B
http://www.swfa.com/pc-5253-637-talley-lightweight-aluminum-1-scopemount.aspx
That would be the exact ring you need right there. The guns with accutrigger have a round rear receiver, as the non accutrigger has a flat rear receiver. The scope you are getting needs medium rings yes sir. Make sure you click the link i posted Superstool's link is for the Savage without accutrigger.
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 08:28
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

I just visited Talley's website.  Now I am concerned about the "New round Action" mentioned there for the models 10, 11, 12 (short actions)

My Rifle is a Savage 110FP in 270Win long action with accu-trigger, It was manufactured in Sept of 2007 according to OEM box labelling.

I removed the split Weaver style bases, both front and back.  Both are concave on the bottoms were they mate to the gun.  Is this the round action they are talking about?
The reason I ask is because the picture of teh 930708 rings seems to show that the back mount is flat bottomed.

According to Talley's website low mounts are good for up to 44mm objective scopes.
You could porobably squeeze off with a low ring but, then I dont know if you could put a butler creek on it. I think we mounted an elite on a savage not to long ago up here with Talley Low's and it was to close to put A flip up on it. SHIM? That word is not in Talley's vocabulary. I have them on a few of my guns and absolutely love them no problems.
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 09:15
Sorry, my bad.  I guess I should have just directed you to the talley mounts and allow you to find the proper one.  Bandito
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 10:59
[QUOTE=Chris Farris II][QUOTE=budperm][QUOTE=Chris Farris II][QUOTE=supertool73] How about some Talley mounts.  http://www.swfa.com/pc-5219-637-talley-lightweight-aluminum-1-scopemount.aspx

High Chris II!

Thanks for checking, I thought maybe the picture was generic for the 930708s.  I definitely want to mount Butler Creek Flip-ups! A medium height ring is the way to go!!!

Thanks again!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 11:01

Sorry, my bad.  I guess I should have just directed you to the talley mounts and allow you to find the proper one.  Bandito

NO PROB DUDEHippie you pointed out the right path!

B
--Thomas Jefferson

TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 11:31
Stupido Gringo...LOL Jason we all reserve the rights too make one mistake a year here. That's your one! Wink
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 11:32
Take this CF2

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 12:20

Take this CF2

CAREFUL Supertool73  uncle fester....er....I  mean uncle Farris might squak about volgarityWink

--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 12:38
PartyCOOL I just ordered Talley 940725 Mounts and Butler Creek flips from SWFA!

Head Banger MAN!  The Mounts are backordered until 2/2.
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 12:55
Welcome to the world of trying to buy gun parts.  Seems like everything is out of stock the last while.  

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 07:44
LaughI CAN"T STAND IT ANYMORE ...Your Avitar!

Where did to get the video clip of my X on the treadmill???

Its GOT to be her!!!  The same grace & poise.  The same hairdoo, I even recognize the sweater.  She is the only person I know that would still be cold while performing strenuous Cardio exercise.

GOD It bring back embarrassing memories.Embarrased

Sometimes when she was walking & talking she would miss trhe door opening and walk
right into the doorframe.  About knocked herself out a couple times.

And of course...she'd get pissed cause I would burst out laughingCussing

I showed the Avitar to my son and without bating an eye he asked when mom had gotten a treadmill!  A KODAK Moment if I ever saw one.

B

--Thomas Jefferson

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2009 at 11:36
Wasn't going to vote after you said you ordered Talley's..... then I noticed they're on backorder.... SO.... 2nd vote for Warne!!!  I usually go with Weaver mounts.  I have not had any issues with them so far.  I have a 3-9X40 4200 mounted on a Mod 11 with the Weaver bases and Warne rings.  I really like the Warne rings because Warne makes an inexpensive torque wrench that makes it very easy to install the rings to the proper tension!  I also have a left hand Mod 11 with the Weaver/Warne combo!  Just bought a 700 Mountain rifle in .260 and it will get this same combo!
take em!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic