OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

My new Sightron SII Big Sky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My new Sightron SII Big Sky
    Posted: January/13/2009 at 06:39
Well, my new Sightron Big Sky got here yesterday afternoon.  I wasn't here at dusk to compare so I did it this morning.  So far I'm impressed.  I do wish the reticle was a bit thicker.  I compared it to my Nikon Buckmaster and to my Burris Fullfield II.  It is definitely brighter and clearer than either of those.  I was between the Big Sky and a Zeiss Conquest on the purchase.  I'm going to carry the Big Sky into a store that carries the Conquest today and compare them side by side.  Without buying the Conquest I really can't compare them in low light.  I'm hoping that the clarity is comparable when I see them side by side.  I don't have any problem spending the extra $$$.  I just want a good scope.  The most attractive feature of the Big Sky for me is the repeatability and tracking.  I can't stand a scope that doesn't do what it is supposed to do on the adjustments.  So far I'm very pleased with it.  I could definitely see better in low light with the Sightron over the Nikon or Burris.  I've read a lot of opinions that put the Big Sky's glass very favorably with the Zeiss Conquest so I can't wait to put them side by side. 

Tom
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 06:41
Very good!!  Thunbs Up   
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 09:24
The sightron should compare very well with the conquest, sure hope you enjoy your new scope, I believe you made a great choice.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
kmad61 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmad61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 12:05
I looked at a big sky that a friend bought and it looked very nice.The Conquest on the other hand has some sweet glass!!
Federal Firearms Dealer
huntingaddict View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 15:50
I did carry it in and compared it to a Conquest today for about 15 minutes.  I could not tell a difference in clarity.  I'll be on my deck checking it out this evening as it gets dark.  I have to decide before the weekend so I will know if to mount it or not.  I have 14 days to return it for an exchange.  I think I like it a lot.  I'm pretty sure it's staying and will be on my muzzleloader this weekend.
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 16:45
I have a Big Sky too.  If you're already happy with the clarity then you'll likely be happy with your purchase overall since they track well too.  I wouldn't worry too much about mounting it because Sightron will make it right with you if it doesn't meet your expectations.
Congrats, and go shoot-em-up!
Let us know what ya think when you've had it at the range.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 20:30
Well now I am confused.  I spent an hour on my deck this evening comparing the new scope with my old ones right up till dark.  The clarity of this scope is outstanding.  However as it got closer to last light I found the reticle hard to see.  It is a thinner reticle like the Leupold ones which I have always thought were too thin.  I hoped it would be bright enough for it to not matter.  At last light I could see the reticle on my Burris scope better than I could on this one.  That disappointed me big time.  I love the clarity, but a clear picture of a deer with a reticle that doesn't show up doesn't help me much.  I really like the Zeiss plex reticle or even the #4 and am confident that they show up well in low light. 

Am I asking too much for a scope in this type of price range to give great low light performance?  I guess I can send this one back and order a Zeiss Conquest.  I just hope that the Conquest doesn't disappoint in low light.  For most lighting situations, I'd keep this Big Sky in a second.  It was every bit as clear as the Zeiss.  One other options that I have considered is a Meopta Meostar.  I just want to be able to see clearly up till last legal light in these GA woods.  I hunt where it's thick so it gets dark quick in spots like that.

Tom
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 21:40
Which Burris scope and what reticle did it have that was easier to see than the Sightrons reticle?
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 22:44
Originally posted by huntingaddict huntingaddict wrote:

Well now I am confused.  I spent an hour on my deck this evening comparing the new scope with my old ones right up till dark.  The clarity of this scope is outstanding.  However as it got closer to last light I found the reticle hard to see.  It is a thinner reticle like the Leupold ones which I have always thought were too thin.  I hoped it would be bright enough for it to not matter.  At last light I could see the reticle on my Burris scope better than I could on this one.  That disappointed me big time.  I love the clarity, but a clear picture of a deer with a reticle that doesn't show up doesn't help me much.  I really like the Zeiss plex reticle or even the #4 and am confident that they show up well in low light. 

Am I asking too much for a scope in this type of price range to give great low light performance?  I guess I can send this one back and order a Zeiss Conquest.  I just hope that the Conquest doesn't disappoint in low light.  For most lighting situations, I'd keep this Big Sky in a second.  It was every bit as clear as the Zeiss.  One other options that I have considered is a Meopta Meostar.  I just want to be able to see clearly up till last legal light in these GA woods.  I hunt where it's thick so it gets dark quick in spots like that.

Tom

I know the Conquest plex reticle gets high praise here. (mine doesn't have it, so I can't say) I think you will want something like a #4, as they are very bold. I usually can't say too much about low light, as I live on the plains, and 1/2 hour after sunset, it is still easy to see. However, I hunted the Black Hills this year, where it gets very dark very fast. You are asking quite a bit of this scope in an area that gets that dark that quick. I'm not saying that a Conquest would be the answer, but I can't say what is. In those situations, I think the scopes that are required to get every minute are out of my price range.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
huff143 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huff143 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 00:15
Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Tom

I know the Conquest plex reticle gets high praise here. (mine doesn't have it, so I can't say) I think you will want something like a #4, as they are very bold. I usually can't say too much about low light, as I live on the plains, and 1/2 hour after sunset, it is still easy to see. However, I hunted the Black Hills this year, where it gets very dark very fast. You are asking quite a bit of this scope in an area that gets that dark that quick. I'm not saying that a Conquest would be the answer, but I can't say what is. In those situations, I think the scopes that are required to get every minute are out of my price range.

Trigger is right.  If you're hunting until it gets near pitch-black in the timber, you may need to look at an illuminated reticle. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 05:11
It is a plain jane Fullfield II with the ballistic plex reticle.  It just seems like I should be able to easily beat that scope with a $500 budget
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 05:19
Originally posted by huff143 huff143 wrote:

Originally posted by trigger29 trigger29 wrote:

Tom

Trigger is right.  If you're hunting until it gets near pitch-black in the timber, you may need to look at an illuminated reticle. 

It's not that it's pitch black, but is considerably darker than if you were hunting a field.  I will put it this way, my Nikon Monarch 8x42 binos looks fantastic to me in the same light, but you are using both eyes with binos.  I know I can't have the depth to the image with a rifle scope that you can have with binos.  But a similarly bright image would be great.  If I cover one side of the binos I know it gets dimmer so I know that a Monarch scope probably isn't up to the task.  I just don't know if coatings/glass can make a scope look as bright as using both eyes with the monarch binos.

I carried both scopes outside this morning in the moonlight and was again impressed with the cheapie.  Very disappointing.  All the reviews I can find say that the Zeiss Conquest is extremely bright in low light.  What do you guys think?
DAVE44 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAVE44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 07:05
Well, Ive had a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 and I couldnt tell much difference in actual brightness but I must admit the Zeiss does have better resoloution. The Z-plex has thicker outer lines than the Bushnell or Sightron...which I just bought a Big Sky 3-9x40 a little while ago but havent mounted yet. The Zeiss has an etched reticle which stays very black making it easier to see against dark backgrounds and is thicker making it easier to see across early morning fields. But as I have found by the time its actually legal for me to shoot the standard Bushnell reticle is visible enough to use. I believe the Sightron Big Sky does have at least equal optics if not a tad better than the 4200 in resoloution and does seem maybe a hair brighter to me. I dont like the WIDE PLEX reticle of the Sightron though the heavier outer lines of the reticle dont come as close to the center as a Bushnell plex does. I just like the lines closer to center for me. The Zeiss Z-plex has thick lines that come close to center but then the very center lines are extremely thin. The one thing the Sightron does do better as does the Ziess is the reticle stays black unlike the Bushnell which sometimes reflects light and makes it silverish and almost transparent at times. Right now I am using a 4200 Elite FIREFLY. At first I hated the reticle, but for close in hunting its great. I dont charge the reticle I just love how dark it stays against any background. Its as easy or easier to see in low light than the Zeiss Z-plex. I think the fact that the reticle has luminous coating on the wire reticle makes it very dark and reflection free which makes it look as dark as any etched reticle. If you do go with a Zeiss I will tell you that the 3-9x40 model Z-plex is not like the 44mm or 50mm models. In those two models the heavier outer lines are like your Sightron...they dont come as close to the center as the 3-9x40 Z plex does.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 07:19
Originally posted by DAVE44 DAVE44 wrote:

Well, Ive had a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 and a Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 and I couldnt tell much difference in actual brightness but I must admit the Zeiss does have better resoloution. The Z-plex has thicker outer lines than the Bushnell or Sightron...which I just bought a Big Sky 3-9x40 a little while ago but havent mounted yet. The Zeiss has an etched reticle which stays very black making it easier to see against dark backgrounds and is thicker making it easier to see across early morning fields. But as I have found by the time its actually legal for me to shoot the standard Bushnell reticle is visible enough to use. I believe the Sightron Big Sky does have at least equal optics if not a tad better than the 4200 in resoloution and does seem maybe a hair brighter to me. I dont like the WIDE PLEX reticle of the Sightron though the heavier outer lines of the reticle dont come as close to the center as a Bushnell plex does. I just like the lines closer to center for me. The Zeiss Z-plex has thick lines that come close to center but then the very center lines are extremely thin. The one thing the Sightron does do better as does the Ziess is the reticle stays black unlike the Bushnell which sometimes reflects light and makes it silverish and almost transparent at times. Right now I am using a 4200 Elite FIREFLY. At first I hated the reticle, but for close in hunting its great. I dont charge the reticle I just love how dark it stays against any background. Its as easy or easier to see in low light than the Zeiss Z-plex. I think the fact that the reticle has luminous coating on the wire reticle makes it very dark and reflection free which makes it look as dark as any etched reticle. If you do go with a Zeiss I will tell you that the 3-9x40 model Z-plex is not like the 44mm or 50mm models. In those two models the heavier outer lines are like your Sightron...they dont come as close to the center as the 3-9x40 Z plex does.

Some great info there especially from someone who has owned all 3.  Thanks for the help and for taking the time to provide the detail.

Tom
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 07:29
I think that if you are only looking at the glass or clarity issue it can become a bit confusing. Just looking through a scope and making a call is not an exact science. The human eye also adapts to different lenses and lighting conditions. If the reticule is the issue, then maybe take the time to play around with an illuminated reticule scope and see what it does for you.
SamC View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2009 at 13:34
I have a Conquest with a #4 reticle and it really stands out very nice in low light.
Sam

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery.
Winston Churchill
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 06:57
Well I got to look through a Conquest at low light, granted it was a parking lot looking behind the building but at least it was not inside a store.  Then yesterday, I looked though a new VX-3 but only in the store.  Honestly, it made me regret returning the Sightron Big Sky.  I don't think the Conquest was any brighter and I don't think the VX-3 was any clearer.
jetwrnch View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetwrnch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2009 at 07:27
The lack of a hydrophobic coating on the Conquest was an issue for me. That narrowed it down to the Sightron Big Sky or Elite 4200. For low light the unlit Firefly wins hands down. For overall usability in real world hunting situations the Elite with Firefly wins. Not the best scope in every category but has the most features. If the Conquest ever gets Rainguard and loses some weight it will be nirvana. 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huntingaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2009 at 05:26
Originally posted by jetwrnch jetwrnch wrote:

The lack of a hydrophobic coating on the Conquest was an issue for me. That narrowed it down to the Sightron Big Sky or Elite 4200. For low light the unlit Firefly wins hands down. For overall usability in real world hunting situations the Elite with Firefly wins. Not the best scope in every category but has the most features. If the Conquest ever gets Rainguard and loses some weight it will be nirvana. 

It's good to hear that the unlit firefly works well in low light.  I had heard some say that the standard reticle being wire showed up in a coppery color in low light and worked ok, but the firefly is pretty heavy and it's good to hear that it works well.

Thanks,

Tom
JTD0314 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTD0314 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2009 at 09:16
If low light hunting is your major concern, I would take a look at the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40.  I have one on a Browning BAR Shorttrac and I am very pleased.  The triangle is more than accurate enough for hunting out to 300 yards and you will always be able to see the reticle.  I would also rate the glass as good as a VX III or Monarch. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic