OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Weaver based Scope rings for my Elite 4200 2.5-10X
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver based Scope rings for my Elite 4200 2.5-10X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver based Scope rings for my Elite 4200 2.5-10X
    Posted: January/12/2009 at 22:31
Okay guys,

Here it is....I bought a Savage 110FP in 270Win for Xmas that came with Simmons Blazer scope mounted on split weaver style base.   I knew in advance that I would upgrade the scope. 
Well I did this a little sooner than I had originally planned.  I could never get in zeroed.  even though all mounting hardware appeared tight the scope rotated in the rings about 3 degrees after 30 rounds or so. 
Later during cleaning I removed the scope and found some metal flashing on the front top ring, enough to prevent full closure and allow movement.  I removed the flashing.

I went ahead and ordered a Bushnell 4200 2.5X10-40mm for the rifle.  Being a long action light weight the 4200 should be more than a match for the recoil in a rest. 

The rings that came with the rifle appear to be B-squared ones.  I say this because the weaver style mount clamp nuts have a unique curled profile to them that matches B-square ones.

Are B-squared rings any good?

What rings would you recommend for the 4200?

Let me hear from you guys!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

CountryLegend View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CountryLegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2009 at 23:09
I'm not sure what brand rings come with that gun but I used to sell guns and I would definitely change them out. They seem really cheap to me though. I like Warren rings they will hold up Wink
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 07:51
Okay, I have one vote for Warren Rings.

I know there are more opinions out there so lets hear them!  I know nothing about rings!

I forgot the mention, the Rings I have are very light...probably aluminum.
the internal contact surface of the rings appear to be a painted over bead blasted finish.

I remember reading somewhere that this rifle came with one of three different manufacturers rings... B-Squared was the only one I recognized.  When I checked the B-SQ website the rings looked simular mostly because of unique clamping nut profile however the loose clamping bracket was stamped steel instead of extruded of cast piece the B-SQ website showed.

I'll try to get some pix tonight after I get home.

Thanks in advance!

B
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 08:10
WHOOPS!!!
I just realized that there is a separate Rings & Bases Forum.

Is there a way to move this string over to teh Rings & bases Forum where it belongs?

Or is it easier to Copy and paste everything there?

--Thomas Jefferson

Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 08:44
Copy and paste!!!!  ???  Eek
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 09:30
Just to be picky(and my typical charming self)... isn't there a section called something like RINGS AND BASES????

Just wondering, if there isn't, there should be...

Seems to be an awful lot of Ring/Base questions popping up under Riflescopes, lately. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 10:32
UUUHHH Kickboxer...you take one to the head???  Read my last post...In BOLD. I stated that I just found the Bases & Rings Forum.  What can I say...I am newbie dumb!

Dumb you can fix...stupid you can't, however you can divorce her (and I did)Yep, Thought So.

Got to keep the Kids, House and Car.  Told ya you can't fix stupid!Wink

Hey ED.... is C&P anything like saying 270Win instead of 6.8mm?
--Thomas Jefferson

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 10:52
Just spinning the wheels a little...

All in good fun.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
donlipa View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donlipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 10:56
If you want good cheep rings check out the Weaver Steel Grand Slam Rings.  They are like $18 dollars and because they are steel they are rock solid.  I have my 4200 mounted M1A with these rings and they are a little heavier than aluminum but I recommend them especially for the price. 
I'm just another internet blowhard with too much time on my hands for the past couple weeks so take my comments with a grain of salt
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2009 at 12:35
Thanks Donlipa I'll check them out!.

EVERYBODY, I moved this thread over to the Rings & Bases forum.
Sorry, I didn't know about it yet the Forum....dumb newbie.

B
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic